why people like low speed hit and miss engine?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard-Vanderpol

Reaction score
i find this hit and miss engine from stirlingkit. but i find people keep saying " slow it down" why? is it high speed not good enough? i'm confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
You totally don't understand the hit and miss principal. When not under load the engine should only fire once every few cycles, the rest of the time the governor should stop it firing and this is what is called the MISS. Once the engine is put under load the governor weights won't swing out and it will fire every stroke and therefore only make power when needed

Suggest if you want to sell more you get the governor working correctly and then spam every possible place with a new video. People won't want to buy unless they can see it working correctly

People want a Hit and Miss engine to run as the full size and their own home made models, not as yours does. Take a look at one of mine and see how the governor should work latching the pushrod into the open position.

You totally don't understand the hit and miss principal. When not under load the engine should only fire once every few cycles, the rest of the time the governor should stop it firing and this is what is called the MISS. Once the engine is put under load the governor weights won't swing out and it will fire every stroke and therefore only make power when needed

Suggest if you want to sell more you get the governor working correctly and then spam every possible place with a new video. People won't want to buy unless they can see it working correctly

People want a Hit and Miss engine to run as the full size and their own home made models, not as yours does. Take a look at one of mine and see how the governor should work latching the pushrod into the open position.

do you mean the sound "di"? if it doesn't have this sound, it will be a problem, right?

Not just the sound people also want to watch them run slowly just like the real thing though as they get smaller a little faster is to be expected but not as fast as yours, the full size hit and miss engines all run slowly, just watch any Youtube videos of them and you will see. People want a replica engine that will run like the full size, these are only likely to be run as display engines so they don't need the performance of one that may get use din a model car or plane.

This is a similar size model to yours and you can see that the governor is working correctly making it miss for most of the time and only hit (fire) every so often

Not just the sound people also want to watch them run slowly just like the real thing though as they get smaller a little faster is to be expected but not as fast as yours, the full size hit and miss engines all run slowly, just watch any Youtube videos of them and you will see. People want a replica engine that will run like the full size, these are only likely to be run as display engines so they don't need the performance of one that may get use din a model car or plane.

This is a similar size model to yours and you can see that the governor is working correctly making it miss for most of the time and only hit (fire) every so often

Regarding the problem of the red machine, the machine actually decelerates, but it may be that the governor is not working properly, and the machine is more violent and powerful.
It is recommended to wipe off the oil inside the gears and keys with paper towels. If there is oil, it will stick and it will stick, which will affect the speed control function of the machine.

Attachments

• 058A7474-D9C9-4cbf-8562-573987D7FC42.png
    058A7474-D9C9-4cbf-8562-573987D7FC42.png
    652.9 KB · Views: 89

how about this one?what do you think of it?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm just curious, as I am a steam guy, not IC. Does this hit n miss somehow NOT feed fuel when it is cycling but not firing?

Richard V, if it is just excess oil then do as you suggest and wipe it off and simply make another video of the engine running correctly which is what customers will want to see. If you can't get it to run as it should then they won't want to buy.

Richard H Most work by holding the exhaust valve open so there is no vacuum as the piston goes down to draw any air/fuel mix

Richard V, if it is just excess oil then do as you suggest and wipe it off and simply make another video of the engine running correctly which is what customers will want to see. If you can't get it to run as it should then they won't want to buy.

Richard H Most work by holding the exhaust valve open so there is no vacuum as the piston goes down to draw any air/fuel mix
how about this?is that better?

Those miniatures are cute when they are running at a blur's pace, but I think some folks don't understand how they run when the mechanisms are a blur. I run them slow so folks can see how the mechanics of the hit-n-miss cycle, especially the governor's role, is in their operation. Besides, they burn less fuel running slow. Later, RT.

Looks like the governor has the weight are pivoted to close to the swinging mass, needing more a faster speed to work. Also having the governor on the camshaft work at half the crankshaft rpm, needing twice the mass to have the same effect. And making thicker flywheel will give more inertia helping in slow running

I don't like slow hit & miss engines where people retard the timing so the engine runs abnormally slow so it fires about 3 times per minute. Retired timing does not even sound like an engine when if fires it sound more like a fart slowly leaking out. Engines were not designed to run that slow.

When I was 5 years old my grandmother had a washing machine powered by a 1¾ hp Hercules engine. Engine had a very nice sound.

Last edited:
It's getting better but still too fast. As said above I've never seen the weight on the larger cam, gear, they tend to be mounted either on a yoke that fits the crankshaft or the flywheel itself

I'm just curious, as I am a steam guy, not IC. Does this hit n miss somehow NOT feed fuel when it is cycling but not firing?
The "miss" part of the cycle happens by the governor holding the exhaust valve open when up to speed. Valve open, no compression so no fire but also no vacuum so fuel isn't drawn in. When it slows down enough the valve is allowed to close, vacuum, compression, bang and away we go again. :) Bob

I feel an engine that has the ability to run slow speaks volumes about the precision craftsmanship that went into building it. An engine, of any power source, with very little friction and precise mechanisms can run at slow speeds without stopping or stalling.

The "miss" part of the cycle happens by the governor holding the exhaust valve open when up to speed. Valve open, no compression so no fire but also no vacuum so fuel isn't drawn in. When it slows down enough the valve is allowed to close, vacuum, compression, bang and away we go again. :) Bob
Well then, in about 20 years, when I have finished all my steam engine projects, I might try something like the hit-n-miss. I thimpfk there is ONE IC engine that I am interested in, however, and that is the otto cycle . Gingery has the methods for casting it in his book on that. I bought that book but I still am working on steam engines first.

Well that narrows it down a bit as just about every 4-stroke is the basic Otto Cycle 😂

Latest posts

Back