Why a forum on disabilities?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GailInNM

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First off what is a disability? One of the definitions of disability is "the inability to perform an activity in a normal way as a result of an impairment."
That is the definition that I think should be the focus of this forum. Not that we can not perform an activity, but that we may have to do it in ways that are different. These disabilities can be temporary like a broken bone, permanent, or progressive such as age related problems.

Now, the why of the forum. The last numbers that I have showed that 43 million United States residents are considered to have a disability under the US Government standards. With a population of about 300 million, that is about 1 in 7 people. If this web site is typical of the US population then about 250 of it's 1800 (as of this date) registered users would be considered to have a disability. Thats a lot of us.

The purpose of this forum is to provide a place to exchange solutions to problems and ask questions about how to solve problems that affect us in our goal of building model engines. I expect that many ideas may be useful to other members who would not consider themselves to have a disability. The reverse is also true. For example, there are sections of threads about how high should a mill table should be for working comfort. Some thing like this applies not only to those who have a back problem, to prevent back problems from forming. When items like this are found, put a link to them in this section, but please include a brief message about why you are linking to them.

Let's keep it light and everyone help each other. Then we all have more fun.

Gail in NM,USA

good call

I'm not that old but with some health issues that have decreased my physical functionality

plus getting beat up a bit overseas late 2002 did not help

its got so that i really have to plan for it with a right arm that sometimes does not want to work

i know its not just me wether through injury / age /illness what have you the list of "walking wounded" grows every day and although hobbies like these are great assistance they bring there own needs with them

i've had to learn better work holding setups and simpler ways of doing other things or left handed ways

again a great idea for a thread

cheers

jack

Well, apart from some other issues, the main reason I'm on disablity is industrial deafness, not that I can't set up a machine or do the work, but I can't hear the 20 ton forklift bearing down on me. :(

Thankfully. there are not a lot of 20 ton forklifts running around in my workshop.

I have the same problem as tel after fifty years from apprentice upwards as a sheetmetalworker my hearing is badly impaired, all this happened in the days before anyone thought of such things as ear defenders etc. and it can be dangerous not being able to hear things before it's too late! i would urge all people on this site especially the younger members,to use care and protection at all times,pretty obvious i know, but our health is a valuable thing!
Regards Max...........

tel said:
Well, apart from some other issues, the main reason I'm on disablity is industrial deafness, not that I can't set up a machine or do the work, but I can't hear the 20 ton forklift bearing down on me. :(

Thankfully. there are not a lot of 20 ton forklifts running around in my workshop.

Wot ??????????

Tel,

You too. Mind you when they told me I'd lost all the high range and needed a hearing aid. I said "Do you mean I can't hear kids screaming and women shouting ???" "That's it." said the audiologist. "GREAT" said I, "Forget the hearing aid."

Funny but I don't feel disabled in any way, (glasses, deafness, heart, stomach). Still 35 between the ears. I enjoy life to the full and I am very content.

Best Regards
Bob

"not more than 25" beetwin my ears"

Am i reading this wrongly or is that really 25 inches between your ears.

:big: :big: :big: :big:

Kind regards

Malcolm

I am suffering from degenerative osteo arthritis and have been for the last six years. This means I operate machinery when on morphine. My ability to stand for more than 10 minutes is low that my workshop has 2 chairs and a stool.

All the planning for work is safety first because it has to be as my concentration levels are low especially after 3 or 4 hours. I get up around 0600 and am in bed around 1300 to 1400. As a chronic pain sufferer my lifestyle until recently (last 18 months) was extremely depressing.

There are those that will say that I shouldn't operate machinery, especially on my medication, but I say that my sanity is only kept in check BECAUSE I have my workshop!

If I stopped then the alternative is to crawl up into a ball and do nothing and did that for 4 1/2 years (4.5000 in imperial) so since its my life, my decision and my workshop, that's what I will do. The importance of this forum and those who contact me via my website and blog is that it gives me the social intercourse (no smut here please) that most human beings, including me, need.

So I am happy with my lot and am enjoying model making. ANYTHING can be overcome if the payback is good enough. Anything.

The usefullness of doing even small jobs for others is immense to the mental well being. So if I can do it (whatever it is?) then so can anyone.

Just read this for spelling and hey, life's better that the read! Oh happy days........ :big:

Took some time ;D
But no I'm convinced: I'm not alone anymore. :big: :big: :big:

Have a Happy New year everybody
fest30.gif
musik06.gif

Regards CS

What a great thread. Thank you Gail.

I was diagnosed with MS in 2004. I spent almost 4 years on the couch/bed. I am 42 years young. I will not let this take over my life. I spend about 2-4 hours a day in my shop and about 13 hours sleeping. If you have a disability embrace it, fight like hell, and don't give up. ;D

Evan

Welcome to HMEM Evan.

I am quite familiar with MS. My wife had MS. She was active in crafts and while she had to change her style to suit some of the limitations that MS sometimes imposed she kept at it. Attitude is everything. She died 25 years ago, but not as a result of MS.

My sister in law has MS. She is in her 50's. Like you, fatigue slows her down some. Last year she quit playing competitive tennis as it took a lot out of her. So now she coaches tennis and works part time as a consultant in a pro tennis shop. And still plays tennis, just not in competition.

Let us know what accommodations, if any, you have had to make to in your shop and hobby activities.

Join into the rest of the HMEM site and show us some of your projects. We like photos around here.

Gail in NM,USA

g'day folks'

after filing the brass butt slip ( recoil plate) on a Brown Bess replica for 3 hours the other day after i slipped with a hammer bedding the slip, my shoulder has demanded i finish the filing machine once and for all. NOW!! TODAY!!
(it'll take a week)
also a press, ( 5-8 ton ) to press fit the brass work into the stocks would be a great idea save me bashing them into place with hammers ( and miss hitting)

20 mins of filing or hacksawing is my limit really but with $$$ on the line i had to get the job finished and shipped so i did the job and spent the next day recovering

result..

decided to stop wasting time and get the tools to do the hard yards for me, so back to the filing machine again, so instead of spending a night and a day recovering i should be able to file all day ( or hold the work while the machine does the hard part ) without my shoulder going nutz.

the milwaukee hand held band saw has really saved my hide.. i cut some 4" brass last week , my mate did one slice by hand and took 15 min's, the saw did it in 3. it would have buggered me to do it by hand.

the right tools can assist those with physical problems a heap.

rest when you need to

when you push yourself you make mistakes or slip up

a disablilty dont mean you cant do these things

but maybe it means you need to take a different approach

i have a stool in front of the mill and have part made one for the mini lathe ( needs padding)

my issue is my shoulder but by planting my backside i can work a couple extra hours a day as opposed to standing all day

going for a walk between process's helps too, i take my birds for a walk have a cuppa etc

i dont have a classical rocking chair but i have a art deco copy equal i sit in and read the forum from

i had a big day in the workshop yesterday from 7 am until midnight but worked only 8 hours or so

a break here and there and a walk or making a snack breaks up the day and i still got a lot done

25 lock plates and 25 angular leaf springs and 25 threaded hammer shafts a good days work for anyone i think

just taking it a bit at a time

sat and sunday i'll do 30 stocks and pick the 25 best put em in linseed for a week then dry em

i get my work done if i plan ahead and allow room for me to have a day out when its needed

i do pay a little extra for delivery of (big) stuff to my door ( 3rd floor flat) , but thats about it,

made my bench to height ( not as well made as those i see here ) making the filing/grinding/polishing table the same but on wheels to allow it all to be rolled onto the balcony and back into storage, just waiting on wheels for it

the rest is all thinking about how to make your own life easier and still getting the job done

a few extra clamps a extra vice guides on saw's and grinders etc they all help and make things easier.

an old arab ( Bedou )saying

لم يكن لدي أحذية واشتكى
حين التقيت رجلا بلا أقدام

"i had no shoes and complained,
until i met a man with no feet"

at least we have our hobby and this place

take care all, lotsa chips to ya's all too

cheers

jack

it is kinda interesting that this post is here and i have read it and got some comfort knowing that iam not the only one with medical difficulties in this hobby.
i was just at the doctors yesterday and he told me that i might have m.s. i have had the cat scans and m.r.i's and to be honest to you guys i have been thinking that life is over for me, but after reading the posts made by EvanVH and GailInNM i have some renewed hope and drive to continue to fight this. i don't know where this disease is going to take me but i know one thing for sure IT IS IN FOR A FIGHT.
so Gail and Evan i thank you for sharing you story with all of us.

i didn't post this for sympathy i posted it to say thanks to one and all for such a great place to come and visit.

chuck

Fellow to think that we were once bullet proof, ten feet tall and sickness was light years away, they come so fast but no one could make me believe that, still 20 in my mind but 58 in my body, all was fine just some little set backs but all were won over, been feeling tired, depressed, stiff in my back and muscle tenderness, some test and they say that I have Fibromyaliga, I know nothing of it and I think from what I see they know less, I can deal with that but for a few days that if affects me but its is hard on my mind, short term memory but again, I am going to deal with it and not stop, I have come to the point that I want to do some things for me and not for everyone else, I find this group so enjoyable, I want to build some small engine's and other things like you all do, I won't give up or give in, so don't anyone of you either, I think you are all great, we need each other to share and care, great day to all, Lathe Nut

My Dad was diagnosed with MS 32 years ago.
He's 74 years young now. On a good day he can still kick
the S#!T out of a snow blower that isn't preforming to his
expectations. :D

On a bad day he calls me to come and take a look at it. ;)

Rick

Notice the theme of all the posters. "Don't give up"
When someone says we can't do something, all that means is that THEY can't do it.

Home machinists have an advantage over much of the population. We work with both our minds and hands to create things. If our body doesn't want to cooperate sometimes, then we use our mind to figure out a way around it. We have the ability to modify our tools and if necessary build a new tool to accomplish a job in a different manner.

Quote from Jack ".....i finish the filing machine once and for all. NOW!! TODAY!!"

Gail in NM,USA

Latest posts

Back