Why a forum on disabilities?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lost my left arm 3yrs ago due to a difference of opinion with a rockcrusher. This has made my venture in learning machining very interesting. I never did any machining up to about a month ago, but with the internet a some videos I'm coming along very well. Instead of sitting around feelin bad for myself I got back on the horse that bucked me off!!!! Maybe I'll build a new arm, and some cool IC engines along the way. And when I do, I can say I built that single handedly!!! Thm:

Hey 1hand, that's the spirit and wEc1 aboard. Thm:

Regards

Philly

1 hand,

Welcome to our forum.
smiley-signs046.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Glad to have you with us 1Hand.

I know of at least one other engine builder that is in a similar situation to you, and of several others who only have very limited use of one arm.

This is the place to share our experiences with others so we can all help each other.

Gail in NM,USA

Not to mention a lot of others with 2 good arms that are worthless. Couldn't build anything even if their lives depended on it. :mad: It´s nice to see people not giving up.

1hand said:
I lost my left arm 3yrs ago due to a difference of opinion with a rockcrusher. This has made my venture in learning machining very interesting. I never did any machining up to about a month ago, but with the internet a some videos I'm coming along very well. Instead of sitting around feelin bad for myself I got back on the horse that bucked me off!!!! Maybe I'll build a new arm, and some cool IC engines along the way. And when I do, I can say I built that single handedly!!! Thm:

ONYA 1hand!

Good on ya 1hand!, your post brought tears to my eyes, as it's so good to hear some determination!, many years ago, a very good friend of mine lost a leg(along with other complications) in a motorbike accident ,less than a year later, on crutches ,as he didn't get on with the false leg they gave him, he presented himself at a quarry near us asking for a job to drive a massive truck (with 12ft diameter wheels but all automatic) and they said (good on them!) give it a try, if you can drive it ,the job's yours, needless to say he got the job and it probably saved him from a deep depression!

now, 30 years later,he is still very busy doing all sorts of things and still jokes about his disability all the time! BTW his nickname is still 5toes! (his own idea!, English humour)

Giles

Welcome 1 hand, then thing to do is keep smiling (bloody difficult at times but its gotta be done!). :big:

HEY, Thanks for the very warm welcome ;D I just started so haven't built anything impressive yet, just a mount for my rotary table 3jaw chuck, and a 4bolt mount for my compound rest. I got them on the first try, so things are looking up! :big: I think you guys are great and am looking forward to learning this wonderful fullfilling hobby. As for my disability, I was right handed before my accident so alot of things didn't change too much, though sometimes the mill spindle wrench and I have had to have a few words when changing end mills and collets. :wall:

100_0241.jpg
]
100_0240.jpg

Welcome to HMEM 1hand
Nice looking shop area!

Rick

Hi Everyone,

Great to see a forum for us perseverists! Yes, I know it's a real word but it decribes what people with disabilities really are.

Have only had one good arm since 1979. Was a machinist when I had a hunting accident and lost the use of my right arm. Technicallly a brachio plexus injury from a .50 caliber muzzleloader.

So far, ham radio, target shooting, blacksmithing, motorcycle riding, and now I'm dabbling with a guitar. Anyhow, I've been involved with metal work my whole life. Even when other hobbies and distractions come and go metalworking in one form or another always continues to trip my trigger.

I had an amputation about 15 years ago and I went from my natural hand that would not work to a prosthetic that would. Hard decision but it was definitly worth it.

Here's my website with the mods I made to ride a motorcycle. Please shoot me an email if you are interested in the specifics.

http://www.geocities.com/kc0ji

Not sure why the link won't work. You will have to cut and paste. Sorry.

Take care and persevere,

blacksmith99

Welcome Matt (blacksmith99) wEc1

Glad you found HMEM. Since you found us I presume that you are also interested in building model engines also.

I looked at your website. Very nice looking work. You sure have a busy left hand on your motorcycle.

Perseverance is a requirement for all model engineers. More often than not a new engine needs a lot of "fine tuning". The only immediate gratification comes from making one part at a time.

Gail in NM,USA
W5MLY

Matt,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Greetings,

I just joined the group a few minutes ago, and was happy to see that someone or some group is acknowledging that there are some of us who are 'differently' abled. The initial definition of 'disabled' is the best I have read.

In my case, similar to a posting I noticed about a member with osteo arthritis, the disability is invisible. My condition is neurological. The peripheral nerves and spinal cord are deteriorating, and my small nerve endings in the skin are reduced by 90%. All of this adds up to 1) extreme pain, and 2) muscle tremors and spasms. It is the latter that affects my mechanical abilities.

I have had to replace most of my hand tools with power equipment. People laugh at a cordless caulking gun, but it means I don't have to use muscles to squeeze a handle. Simple drilling tasks, normally done with a hand drill, are now put on a drill press with an X-Y vise to secure the work. At least I can turn the handles on the vise to line up the hole.

I really don't have much to contribute right now, but I am interested in getting from this group hints and ideas about how I can still continue to do metal (and wood) work with my hands.

Thanks for listening; people who are or have been there are the ones that best understand.

Paul

Welcome to HMEM Paul. wEc1
Please share any tips that have helped you. Also, feel free to ask about any thing that is giving you a problem. The majority of our members have never made a post, so asking questions often brings responses from unexpected sources.

I see that you also post to the yahoo barstock engines group, so you are obviously interested in engines. There you mentioned free shipping codes on the promotional codes site. Everyone here is quite good about posting them on HMEM, and if you need a code, ask. If one exists, someone here will have a current code. That is important to some of us who can not get out to go shopping easily for what ever reason.

We all like photos on HMEM so, if you have the capabilities, please post some of your projects in the photos and video section or a work in progress. While HMEM is mostly engine orientated, we welcome projects of all kinds. If it is too far from having any engine connection, you can put it in the break room.

Again wEc1
Gail in NM,USA

Paul,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome ! I am sure you will enjoy this group as I have.

Ian (seagar)
Coffs Harbour
Australia.

Thanks for the replies and comments. My goal is to start making model steam engines (stationary) and other 'toys.' But first, there is that issue of getting the new workshop fixed up. The new mill-drill (Grizzly G0484) is there; the lathe has to come out of the basement. I'll just be lurking for a while, but if I come up with anything it will be posted.

Thanks again.

Paul :)

Back