Who knows this locomobile

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senx

Reaction score
Hello all,
i got this machine yesterday.
46 cm long, 22 cm wide, with horizontal chimney 39 cm high.
I can't find anything about a manufacturer anywhere.
Does anyone know more about this model?
Manufacturer, year of manufacture, what scale ?
Kind regards
Wolfgang

Attachments

• DSCN9148.JPG
    DSCN9148.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN9149.JPG
    DSCN9149.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 128
Not sure of the manufacturer but it looks like an agricultural engine . These were made by several companies in the UK including Fosters Rustons and Garretts, and many overseas
They were usually pulled by horses to the working site and then used to power such machinery as grain threshers etc.
The fold down chimney is typical of an agricultural engine and there is nowhere for a driver to sit/stand.
Scale would be about 1/8 or 1.5 in to the ft
Dan.

Last edited:
Abbby is right. It is what is known as a 'portable' engine. It would often be taken from farm to farm by a threshing contractor, though after self-moving traction engines became more common, it would more likely stay on one farm.

They were generally smaller than traction engines, so I would put the scale a bit larger, probably around 2" to the foot. The model, which looks to be a nice job, apart from a rather rough paint job, would be a one-off, made in a home shop, perhaps from a commercial casting kit. Can't say if it is based on any particular prototype; it could be a freelance design.

Latest posts

Back