Who do you buy from?

Help Support HMEM:

Shelton

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I'd like to start this so you can post where you find your components, supplies, kits and whatever else you need to make a Model Engine.

This should help our members source supplies.

mcjustis

Reaction score
I'm really surprised this doesn't have any replies. I guess I'll start with a few I use on occasion. These are all companies I've purchased from at one point or another.

Here's one for your Stuart builders or anyone who needs some BA fasteners, taps, dies, etc. They are is the US so you don't have to buy from across the pond.
British Tools & Fasteners

McMaster-Carr

Buy Metal and Plastics at Online Metals | OnlineMetals.com®️

Metals Depot® - Buy Metal Online! Steel, Aluminum, Stainless, Brass

Speedy Metals Online Industrial Metal Supply

Some plans here, several interesting projects. Also leads to ignition components.
Jerry E. Howell - Model Project Plans & Kits

Pm research... kits, plans, parts, steam, IC, fittings, etc. Lots of good stuff here.
Home | PM Research Inc - Model Engine Kits

A few nice casting kits here.
Shelf Pet Models | Gentlemen, start your engines!

Several great kits here. I have three of them.
Home Page

Great steam engines and lots of other goodies. I have made several of these engines.
Stuart Models | Steam Engines | Model Engineering | Executive Toys

Some nice casting kits here. Also lots of other cool stuff.
Martin Model

GAde kit, model vice, nice stuff.
Morrison and Marvin Engine Works

Lots of casting kits as well as many of other cool things. Out of the UK.
https://www.ajreeves.com/

Kits from Germany. I have done a few of them and they are nice.
https://www.bengs-modellbau.de/en/

These are just a few that I had on the top of my mind. I'm sure I'll think of more.

Martin

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I guess the answer is so vast that it can't be easily answered. When I started out I used to shop at the local scrap yard for material. I have several of the online houses that are less than 10 miles from me. I'm less than a mile from kbc tool. So I guess you know my answer.

Reaction score
My contribution may only be of local value, but if go you to our site 'klokkenbouwen.nl' and click on 'links' you have acces to a lot of knowledge and supply sites. 'Algemeen' means 'General' and 'Gereedschappen' stands for 'Tooling'. Most sites are Dutch or European.

Last edited:

Steamchick

Reaction score
There are a dozen or more UK websites, but for "Colonials", Europeans and others the post may be a bit expensive? (It isn't cheap in the UK for us!). Here are some I know supply good stuff.
Home Page (blackgates.co.uk)
Polly Model Engineering: Stationary Engine Kits
Reeves 2000 - Model Engineering Supplies (ajreeves.com)
Clevedon Steam - Welcome Page
Model Engineering Kits and Engineering models from Hemingway Kits
Stuart Models | Steam Engines | Model Engineering | Executive Toys
Model Engineering and engineering tools online from RDG Tools Ltd Home Page (Engineering Tools) Tel 01422 885069 /884605
MODEL ENGINEERING SUPPLIES (kennions.co.uk)
If anyone wants a custom gas burner for a stationary steam boilers, I make them (sell at cost). But I am not a business for any quantities. The smallest is a 1" x 3 3/8" ceramic for Mamod boilers, the largest (so far) a ceramic for a 9" diameter boiler. I am also trying to develop wire mesh radiants, but the commercial units get materials that I cannot afford. But I am willing to discuss with anyone.
And I can "teach" you to make a custom burner yourself.
I also advise on Boiler design.... to suit the needs of your engine. (because I am interested in these as well).
For machines, I know these are reputable suppliers:
Chester Hobby Store | Metalworking Machines and Hobby Engineer Tools
Warco | Buy Lathe, Milling Machine, Engineering Tools
Lathes - Machinery | Axminster Tools

Hope these are of use?
K2

bob shutt

Reaction score
I was just about to start a post asking where to get BA taps and dies

awake

Reaction score
I missed the OP - glad that Martin resurrected it!

In addition to sources that others have named, I will confess that for toolilng I am finding myself turning more and more often to Amazon and eBay. Once upon a time I bought pretty much all of my tooling and even some stock (e.g., bronze rods) from Enco, using their free shipping promotions ... but now that they are part of MSC, I have not seen a free shipping deal that has worked for me. So often the price of a tool (from any number of suppliers) is reasonable for the quality that I am seeking, but shipping is the killer.

GRAYHIL

Reaction score
Steamcick
Tracy Tools moved from Dartmouth to Torquay quite a while ago I live in Brixham which is midway between them, 6 to 8 miles either way.
Going to Dartmouth involved getting a ferry across the river Dart and made it a pleasant day out.
Graham

Toymaker

Reaction score
I agree with awake,...nearly any tool, metal, plastic, motor, electrical, whatever can be found on eBay, and if you buy from a Chinese source, shipping is often free,...and like awake noted, shipping can be a killer.

Bentwings

Reaction score
My contribution may only be of local value, but if go you to our site 'klokkenbouwen.nl' and click on 'links' you have acces to a lot of knowledge and supply sites. 'Algemeen' means 'General' and 'Gereedschappen' stands for 'Tooling'. Most sites are Dutch or European.
I buy a lot of things on Amazon because it comes right to the door. Prices………well as with anything these days you have to shop carefully. Amazon is very fast delivery and it relatively easy to send things back . The biggest issue is getting things I did not order. For some reason the order gets changed between check out and order I’ve had a number of things I had to send back

Hardware and tooling I generally go with mc master Carr they are very good about shipping they are good about call in orders. Just make sure you know what you want. They accept returns. I have a hard time getting to return shippers as I’m not supposed to drive come summer and I can get to them by bike but I usually make a note of what I need and it’s end use. Then review befor ordering I make a few mistakes but by having check list I can see what I was attempting to do . Mc master has lots of things and if you can’t find it on their web site you can ask by description .
I’ve returned a few things and received compensation for shipping one item I wrote a tough review and they refunded purchase price directly then called and asked how their product could be improved . I’ve since bought a product that already had what I required. I try to avoid Far East things especially hard ware . I have a few steamer items that came from there that were ok but how thy will work out is still not tried .

Byron

Zach

Reaction score
A few I have purchased from, Friends "Yankee Shop" Models, Friends Models Yankee Shop Live Steam Kits and Castings I have purchased some KOZO Wheel castings for the Pennsy A3 in 3/4" scale and I also purchased a set of trailing truck castings for a locomotive that I am building in 3/4" scale. Very high quality castings. Anyone in the smaller scale locomotive should check him out.
I also have purchased a boiler kit from Blackgates Engineering, Home Page, The boiler was a complete kit for an LBSC Virginia that I had purchased with a bad boiler. The kit came with the flanged plates for the backhead and throat sheet, plus the copper rivets for the stay bolts, and the flat copper pieces for the other parts of the boiler; the boiler barrel was also included . I would definitely purchase from them again.
Of course I can also testify to good things from PM Research and some of the others mentioned
One other one for you small scale railroad guys looking for track panels, I have purchased all of my track from a company called "Lawn Tracks" Lawntracks, it works well if you want a prefabbed track, he will do custom radius curves if you buy enough. His switches work OK but I plan on building my own more prototypical one for my main line in the future.

Bentwings

Reaction score
A few I have purchased from, Friends "Yankee Shop" Models, Friends Models Yankee Shop Live Steam Kits and Castings I have purchased some KOZO Wheel castings for the Pennsy A3 in 3/4" scale and I also purchased a set of trailing truck castings for a locomotive that I am building in 3/4" scale. Very high quality castings. Anyone in the smaller scale locomotive should check him out.
I also have purchased a boiler kit from Blackgates Engineering, Home Page, The boiler was a complete kit for an LBSC Virginia that I had purchased with a bad boiler. The kit came with the flanged plates for the backhead and throat sheet, plus the copper rivets for the stay bolts, and the flat copper pieces for the other parts of the boiler; the boiler barrel was also included . I would definitely purchase from them again.
Of course I can also testify to good things from PM Research and some of the others mentioned
One other one for you small scale railroad guys looking for track panels, I have purchased all of my track from a company called "Lawn Tracks" Lawntracks, it works well if you want a prefabbed track, he will do custom radius curves if you buy enough. His switches work OK but I plan on building my own more prototypical one for my main line in the future.
I too buy from PMResearch. Top place to buy from ive talked with Jim there a number of times . Inreceived the wrong part maybe mis labeled but he made it right excellent place rondo business with .

Byron

Mike Ginn

Reaction score
I think you are being rather harsh on Amazon. Why do Amazon dominate? Its because their customers like the service which no one else has matched. Amazon has also invented ways to assist 3rd parties to sell on their platform and the customers still benefit from the delivery and return policies. Amazon is hard on their partners who need to follow very strict rules and policies but from a customer view point it works. No other organization allows me to order a drill set on Sunday and have it delivered on Monday. Do we all agree with Jeff Bezos - probably not. It is obviously you choice to use or not use Amazon but no other organization makes the buying experience so easy.
I have heard similar views about Apple iPhone - either love or hate the product. I don't like some of the Apple policies but the product just works and again have dominated the market - because we like the product.
Don't get me started on Microsoft vs Linux......
Mike

Latest posts