who can solve for X on this math problem

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
problem1.jpg

I guess I need to know what the standard milling machine taper is?
R8 taper X would be 4.339

I come up with 4.314 also, but that makes one assumption that may or may not be true :-\

Details please. What assumption did you guys make? Mine was that it was an R8 taper. I cheated though I drew it up in solidworks :) So it would really suck if I still got it wrong.

As John on another BB said, As stated in the first post it is not solvable. There is not enough information.
If you start making ASSUMPTIONS you should know what you are or are going to get. :)
...lew...

I know you need the small diameter of the taper? I did assume by "standard milling machine taper" it meant an R8 taper. I hate when stuff is left out? And it looks so close. See I thought Mike need help with something. I've been waiting on the answer. :-\ How did you guys come up with 4.314?

I dont need help, this question made a huge thread at HSM and some of the members were less than happy to know this was a 1 quarter student math problem. sad to say they would have not gotten a good grade.

That was a picture of my friends homework, I took the class in 1991 and know how the teacher is, he is a slick devil.

I still say I could make that part in less than an hour and it would work.

some guys would freak over this and that and other would just jump in and make it. It will never mate with a machine tool spindle but for all we know its a part for a farm machine and just uses the same taper.

like I told them at HSM I will post the graded paper after my friend gets it back to me.

Back