Whittle V8 WIP-2

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob.Barrett

Reaction score
I have been requested to start a new thread - sorry, not sure of the posting etiquette.
Progress so far on the cylinders and crank/rods.

Rob

003.jpg

005.jpg

011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

Yup that's a reasonable request for sure.

Damn nice looking crank! :bow: I'm looking forward to seeing more ;D

Dave

Nice work, thanks for posting pics. I must have not been keeping up with the other thread, why 2 different cranks? is it version 2?

thanks

Randel

Thanks for the comments and support everyone.

Hi Randel, I was rather hoping it was just one crank, think it's just my dodgy camera work that makes them look different.

Next I need to machine some flats on the cylinder cooling fins so they fit together on the crankcase and then machine 4 slots out for the head bolts to clear.

Rob

Beautiful work Rob. I admire you multi-cylinder guys...I think I'm doing good to get one decent version of each part, much less, four or eight, or even ten!

Bill

Doh! guess I should have looked a bit closer, the first pic looks like there are no counter weights. a beautiful job so far.

Randel

Hi Rob,

And you ?

Are you achieving to continue this project?

Send us some news!

Cheers,

Alexandre

Hi Alexandre,

Work is progressing slowly on the engine. I've finished machining / lapping the cylinders just need to chemically blacken them now but it's a bit cold to do this in the garage so I'll need to moving into the kitchen! Need to pick the right moment for this as she won't be impressed with lots of chemicals sloshing about the place. I'll post more pictures then.

Regards,
Rob

A very ambitious project, Rob which you are obviously taking in your stride. Wonderful quality and finish on all the parts.
Stew

Some pictures of the cylinders after blackening, also the fully floating gudgeon (rist) pins which have PTFE pads on the ends. Making the pistons and rings next.

Regards,
Rob

038.jpg

043.jpg

G'day Rob, Very nice work you have there. One question, what is the process to blacken the cylinders? I am not familiar with this.

Regards Baz.

Hi Baz,

The blacken process I used is a cold process involving:-
1/ an alkaline solution to clean/degrease
2/ rinse under cold water
3/ blackening solution
4/ rinse under cold water
5/ an oil solution to seal.

Not sure on the chemistry but it involves copper and selenium. The copper reacts with the iron and the resultant then reacts with the selenium to form CuSe. Dimensionally the component is the same after the process. The oil sealer is just meant to evaporate but as you can see from the pictures even after a few hours in the oven they still haven't dried out.

This is looking really good! How are the heads coming along? It would be nice to see some in progress pictures. I hope to get back to my Whittle next month when I have my machines available again.

Steve C.

Hi Steve,

I haven't started the heads yet, I'm on the pistons at the moment. You may be getting me confused with xpylonracer, he has the heads finished, I think, and was starting on the crank.

Regards,
Rob

I wonder how a whittle would scale up till a man could see it (Double )
would that be possable?
Pete

Back