Whittle V8 plans?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayanth

Reaction score
I've seen many references all over the web to the Eric Whittle V-8 plans, and am interested in playing with them in CAD as a new project (I find that I learn a lot just building things in CAD, since I have no workshop yet)

Many more recent references to these plans suggest that they are freely available. But all of the links that refer to them are dead, and I've seen no other postings.

Can someone please direct me to where I can find a free copy of these plans, if they are indeed still freely available?

Thanks,
- Ryan

Ryan;

Sign in to Yahoo groups "WhittleV8" and look under "Files". At one time they were also posted on the Model Engineer Magazine website.

Cheers Garry

Thank you folks, I was misled by the group's description to believe they wouldn't have them, as they are a group for those already building whittles by their description. I have requested registration.

aye, but it seemed silly to buy something that was widely reported to be free.

Some time ago I thought that it might be a good project to produce a set of castings for this engine.
I did the 3D modelling for the main castings
whitside2.jpg

whitside1.jpg

001-2.jpg

but other commitments forced the project onto a back burner.
If there was enough interest it would not take much to get the project restarted.
The castings would be lost wax from rapid prototyped patterns and could be in aluminium or perhaps brass/bronze if prefered.
Any comments.​

If you ever do the castings then please I would like at least one set!

Mark

Why mess around with castings when all parts can be machined from more consistent quality bar stock ?

Rgds, Emgee

If you want to see more models of Whittle V8 parts follow this link:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AGzpT2...arTy6cTpX9R8Cl3fcNlo/Marcus/Crankcase V8.pdf

Sample File of model the crankcase below, use Adobe Reader 9 or better to open and click on "simulate box", the model can then be moved around for total viewing, leave "view" as default to slow movements down. Be patient when opening/simulate as can take up to a minute.

Rgds, Emgee

View attachment Crankcase V8.pdf

View attachment lower crankcase.pdf

Some prefer the look of cast parts, some like the casting journey, some like the challenge. I like castings and may be interested if the price was right.

Brock

I know the front bottom corner of the sump is REALLY thin! Can't help but wonder if you would need to cast that thicker and machine it.

Dave

"Why mess around with castings when all parts can be machined from more consistent quality bar stock ?"
Is this a statement or a question ?
Some build models because the entertainment is in the building , the longer it takes the more entertainment.
Others want the product , and for them spending several hours hacking something from a lump of metal that will eventually represent a part that in full scale was a casting would appear to be pointless.
In addition features can be incorporated into castings that would be beyond the average home machinist to reproduce.
As for more consistency ....... castings are as consistent as the design requires , that's why they are used for full sized engines.
Accuracy........ this prototype casting for a pipe end cap is 50mm diameter and has a fine metric thread.

DSCF3489.jpg

It screwed onto the pipe correctly with no further work required other than sprue removal.

Rapid prototyping is now becoming well within the reach of model engineers , 3D CAD software is readily available at prices so low .....2D/3D ViaCad for around 100 USD .... it is not worth pirating.
This steam turbine generator end cover in 1" scale cost less than 20 USD for the pattern

DSCF4674.jpg

How many hours would be required to produce it by more traditional methods ?

I have the greatest respect for the enthusiast who makes "everything from solid" but , using castings , beautiful working engines are well within the reach of those with less skill , time or both.

Just my view of course and no offence intended ;)

Oh no doubt Abby....just thinking of the usual sand casting tolerances for shift. The key to this one would be the pattern work. If the pattern was made to very high quality, I don't see why it can't be done.

Dave

Steamer it states clearly in my first reply that the castings would be lost-wax ::)
Dan.

Back