Whittle Aero V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tony and Steamer.
I moved some more photos of the crankcase showing intermediate stages of machining into a Photobucket album that can be accessed at:
http://s338.photobucket.com/albums/n404/NMSteam/WhittleV8/

Tony, or anyone else, I have a PDF of my process sheet for the crankcase that shows the order of operations that I did in making it. I don't have an easy way to post it anywhere, but will email it to anyone who might be interested. It is not polished, just enough info to get me organized. You might NOT want to look at it as it might prejudice you in the way that you are planning to make yours with your equipment.

Gail in NM,USA

Hi Gail,
Nice work in photobucket! I like to work out the processes myself, after all thats half the fun! BUT if I run into a jam you'll be hearing from me!
Tony

Yes very nice photobucket!.....Just a bit of "whittling" there! hehehehehehehehehhe
;D
.....sorry...couldn't resist :)

Dave

There have been hundreds of this engine built and there is a dedicated yahoo group ,it would be to your advantage to join as there is a constant email flow discussing "how to "

[QUOTE = "xpylonracer, gönderi: 355291, üye: 5941"]
Yahoo Grupları tüm grupları kapattı ve artık yalnızca e-posta merkezidir. Grup dosyaları iO Gruplarına taşındı, buraya katılın:
[URL unfurl = "true"] WittleV8 groups.io Group [/ URL]
[/ALINTI]
Tesekkur ederim.

See Eric's engine running in this video.

Hi,
I knew Eric Whittle quite well before he died and considered him a good friend. We used to drink together in our village pub here in South Leicestershire. He used to bring along a few of his engines to show me and I handled the vee 8 regularly and can confirm that it was a beautiful piece of engineering art. He gave me a few short videos on CD which his son had made and I originally put one on Youtube. After his death, as a tribute to Eric I put all the ones that I had together into a compilation on YouTube. It includes the one you have but there are more in my video:

Stay safe and healthy,

TerryD

I don't think a CAD drawing exists, printed plans are available from Hemingway in the UK.

Hi,

Eric originally published his drawings and build description of his Vee 8 in the British magazine Engineering In Miniature published by TEE. I'm not sure of the date as I never asked him but he showed me a couple of his personal copies of the magazine in the late '90s/early 00s:

https://www.teepublishing.co.uk/eim/
Stay safe and healthy,

TerryD

Are there any pictures & attachments associated with the new iO group when one subscribes, or it it all text posts do you happen to know?

Hi,

As an appetiser here are a few images of Eric's engine which he gave me before he died - click for a larger version:

P1020022_2.JPGPIC00054.JPGP4180009.JPGPC150006.JPGCarbs.JPG

I have more pictures of Erics other engines if anyone is interested,

Stay safe and Healthy,

TerryD

Attachments

• P1020022_2.JPG
    P1020022_2.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 162
  • PIC00058.JPG
    PIC00058.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 155
I will use the precision casting method
I'll have to draw in cad environment
Thanks for your help..
ben hassas döküm yöntemini kullanacagım
cad ortamında çizmem gerekecek
yardımlarınız için teşekkür ederim..

Thanks for the additional info Terry, seems the engine was an easy to start motor, just a few flicks, says a lot for the build quality.

Eric's build article and plans were in the UK Model Engineer magazine during 1996.

Latest posts

Back