Whittle Aero V8 WIP

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dragondark
Glad more people are getting involved with this engine it is always handy to see a pic of part rather than interpreting a drg it looks good so far.
Maryak
Many apologies for not posting intro I was only looking at this thread to start with will rectify shortly
Cobra
Have you made it back to shop yet
Ray

Not yet Ray. Doing the spring clean up thing. I'm getting some work done on the house and other stuff

Tony

The TT is here
No metal cutting for 2 weeks

P5300423.JPG

P5300427.JPG

P5300428.JPG

tombstone said:
The TT is here
No metal cutting for 2 weeks
Looking forward to seeing coverage of the highlights here in Australia, and Le Mans is just around the corner too...

Thanks Frazer for reminding me, I should have gone down the road to say hello before starting the 1st crank
Richard weather given good for all practice week just going to watch 1st practice at Signpost Corner about 500 mtrs from where I live
there was a report that Jensen cars were going to restart manufacturing in the IoM maybe it might run at Le Mans
Regards Ray

I have a question for the engine gurus out there. I have been inspired by this thread to attempt this build and have finished modeling the engine in CAD and have now turned to modeling in metal. One of the things I noticed is the center main bearing cap is wider than the center web by 0.025". Is there a good reason why this is designed this way or is it simply an error in dimensioning the web thickness?

Keep up the good work guys! There is always so much to learn reading this forum.

Steve C.

Hi Steve Welcome to the V8 build keep us posted how its going please.The drg I am using gives 3 separate dimns for this feature #1 upper c.case is 0.150" #2 centre cap is 0.175" #3 crank is 0.180" so it will fit.I think the bearing is only to prevent flexing in the crank so probably width is not vital & there is 0.003" nominal clearance on dia.Dont forget the 0.08" drg error on the camshaft I mentioned earlier.
good luck Ray

Well it's taken a while and quite a lot of EN16T but I now have a crank. ;D

008.JPG

Thanks. It took me four goes at it. If I messed this one up I was going to take up flower arranging.

Rob

Hey Tony! Haven't heard from you for quite a while. Anything new?
You doing okay? Give us a shout if you're still with us or people are going to
start thinking this is someone else's thread! ;)

Dean

Looking very nice, Rob. Wonderful workmanship.
Gail in NM

Have just come across you by chance :)
I too have made the V8 engine based on Eric Whittles plans.
Did any of you get yours running?
I can't get mine to even try to run, not even a backfire.

Have you any tips re possible causes.

At the moment the glowplugs when out of engine are white hot.
There is fuel there as it spits out of exhausts and I can see traces in the carbs
The valves have been ground in.
The piston rings are a good fit (.001"to .002" gap)
The cylinder head gaskets are fine.
BUT
There is not much compression at TDC. I expected to be able to feel it? when turning by hand.
I am using a 9% Caster 9%EDL special 4 stroke glow fuel.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Can send pictures of engine if required.
Many thanks
Graham Ord

Welcome to the forum! I don't have any suggestions for you other than to make sure the glow plugs are lighting up while installed in the engine. I would think you should feel some compression but that may take a little running in before it gets there. Maybe spinning it over faster? I am still in the process of my build so I am only speaking off the top of my head.

Please post pictures! We love to see peoples work around here.

Steve C.

Is your cam timing spot on? I have never built a multi cylinder engine but I have heard of guys grinding cam shafts backwards.

Dave

Grayhill; From your picture it appears that your fuel tanks are to high. In model aircraft with glow fuel it is common practice to keep the center line of the tanks about even with the throttle barrel of the carb. Try lowering the tanks and see what happens.

I think the compression might be problem too.

Ron

Thanks Ron
Will try lowering the tanks.
As to compression???
Graham

Latest posts

Back