Whittle Aero V8 WIP

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work Tony. The extra time cutting around the bolt bosses gives the part a more professional look to it, like a casting. You fellows are making good progress on your engines.
gbritnell

Hi Tony
Nice one, it looks really good rotating round drill hole it sure beats filing get youself a Becks for good work. Have finished cam blank & am going to use the fixture for milling I think the rotating part of fix should give a consistent back rad-cam flank tangent point for all the 16 cams and the fixture will give a good location in 3 points on the bearing surfaces.The only problem I could see that with it being a sliding fit in the fixture there may be a small ammount of radial play which could show up in the milling one thing that might tighten it up is to drill & tap into the bore on all 3 blocks and put a nylon or PTFE plug into it & nip up with a screw so cam rotates but there is no radial movement. Make a start on fixture next
Cheers
Ray

Hi Ray,
Glad your starting the cam first! It really scares me. So please a show and tell.

Tony

Hi Tony
The turning on the cam is finished?? I ground a left hand .045” wide groove tool out of 10mm sq HSS and mounted upside down in front tool post & ran spindle left hand it worked well.I assembled the bits into the crankcase & as you can see the gear end of cam is about .08” too long. I checked all measurements etc. & could find nothing wrong all the cam lobes line up well with the guide holes the centre journal is in the right place & the 2.566” cam dimn is right to the 2.566 calc dimn between the inner case walls.The only thing I can think of now is the drg is wrong if the .380” length of 7/32” dia. was .300 it would be right as if all dimn’s are nominal the internal face to bottom of gear housing would be .295” which would give .005” clearance for gear.I am going to leave for time being do you guys have any thoughts about this, at least it is a metal on condition so is recoverable.Starting on the milling fix now.
Cheers
Ray

P3300072.JPG

tombstone,
Very nice. I'll have to look at the numbers. Thanks for the heads up

Tony

Hi Tony
Oops! the drg error is described a few pages further on in the instructions & it is .3" dimn. I had turned the pages into a book & stapled over the alterations must read everything before cutting next time.The fix is nearly finished just the indexing holes to do.
Cheers
Ray

Hi Tony
How’s it going hope your back is OK now.Well the machining on the cam is finished it actually went better than I thought it would & probably took about 8hrs on the lathe & mill it needs filing & emerying etc now.The fixture took a while to make I let the 3 uprights into the base plate as it was easier to align square.I drilled the index holes using the PCD feature on the mill DRO as 2 lots of 8 holes & altered the start angle to suit. I turned a blank up to use to align the fixture & experiment with different cutters, the cutter I eventually used was 4mm 3 flute carbide centre cutting endmill by Ezi Diaroc at 1500 rpm the others tried were 3mm slot, 3mm FC3 & 3mm endmill.The cam needs to be secure in the fix with no end float as it will try to unscrew itself out of the fix I secured the 5/32” end with a cup washer & 8BA bolt & washer and lubed it all with coppaslip grease(anti seize grease).The lathe image is the front hub of an AJS Stormer vintage moto-x bike restore project my son has started so I am going to keep out of the shop for a while.
Stew thanks for interesting link I see in this months MEW there is a new web editor so IT might improve now.
Cheers
Ray

P4180095.JPG

sbwhart Thanks for that link. Google Whittle V8....there is a utube vid

tombstone Very nice. Your getting way ahead of me. I haven't seen the shop for awhile

Tony

Thanks Jake,
I won't be posting for awhile. Doc said take it easy on the back. Things got worse and worse. So I'm on med's but it will take a while for it to kick in.

Tombstone I'm sure will be posting to keep us interested

This getting old stuff is for the birds! I still think like I'm 21

Tony

cobra428 said:
This getting old stuff is for the birds! I still think like I'm 21

Don't we all ???

The problem is, some of us are only 21 between the ears. ::)

Hope the back improves very soon.

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Don't we all ???

The problem is, some of us are only 21 between the ears. ::)

Hope the back improves very soon.

Best Regards
Bob

And some of us have been 21 several times!

Take 'er easy, Tony. Back problems can be miserable. That engine will wait for you to get healed up, and so will we.

Dean

Hi everyone
You may have already seen this link but anyone thinking of building a V8 should consider getting this piece of kit in their garage to make the crankcase

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QsmiIeAkE-o[/ame]

Tony Hope things are improving for you and you are soon back swinging handles

Hi Tony,

Best wishes for a speedy back recovery - I have read right through your build so far and have been very impressed by your tenacity and look forward to the next phases.

All the very best -

Phil.

Latest posts

Back