While on the subject of steam ... boilers!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kludge

Steam engines pretty much need boilers. I'm not sure if that's a given or an assumption but it seems to work that way. So, I'll need a boiler or two or three or however many to keep my meglomania happy.

Since I'm not yet ready to trust myself building them, I've been looking at various pre-made ones, specifically the Jensen boilers & fittings which are available as parts from one or two sources. (I've already tried the local used toy availability - broken or otherwise - and came up dry.) I know a few folks here have experience with them so I'd like to know if there are any problems I should look out for using these boilers given I'll also be using the safety valves normally used with them.

Best regards,

Kludge

Kludge,

How do you know you can't trust yourself to build one until you have tried. Search the listings for 'A Small Boiler' by Firebird and get some inspiration.

Also until you get or build a boiler air should be good.

Julian.

My phobia is not the safety in a boiler construction since the initial testing can provide a level of confidence with the use of pressure relief valves a respectable distance and either barriers or a container for the boiler. The material suggested for building a boiler is copper. That stuff is expensive and finding a good source for sheet and tubing is time consuming.

My question is, would it be acceptable to build your first boiler with steel and ductile iron components instead. The heat transfer efficiency of copper is far better, and steel and cast iron are subject to corrosion, but what other draw backs are there. Once you build the first one and learn the pit falls, would you not feel a little more comfortable tackling a copper build for the second one.

Ed on shaky ground.

I a newbie and really enjoy following different threads to learn but one of the more thank less projects seem to be boiler making. Alot of work and time devoted to make sure it's safe and when you get all done--it just sits there.

Having said that, there's nothing like a well built boiler with many tubes to really power up several models at one time.

Good kit versions are the Stuart but expensive followed by PM Research which seem to be good value.

All Jensen parts are availble and easy to order from their website jensenengines something. Largest the have is 3" diameter which can be heater electrically (they sell the heater) or heated by fuel--esbit, alcohol, propane thru ceramic burner

ed miles said:
My question is, would it be acceptable to build your first boiler with steel and ductile iron components instead. The heat transfer efficiency of copper is far better, and steel and cast iron are subject to corrosion, but what other draw backs are there. Once you build the first one and learn the pit falls, would you not feel a little more comfortable tackling a copper build for the second one.

Ed on shaky ground.

The problem is, Ed, that the construction of steel and copper boilers is usually quite different and you wouldn't learn much about doing a copper one from building in steel.

For smallish boilers, which are all we usually need, scrapyard copper can be quite adequate as long as you get the required thickness - copper pipe offcuts in all sizes abound in scrap yards, and you get your sheet by annealing and opening out bits of pipe.

Julian said:
How do you know you can't trust yourself to build one until you have tried.

This is something that has to be taken on faith. I'm reasonably sure I have the mechanical skills but I don't have sufficient faith in those skills to do the build. It's kind of a head vs heart thing, I guess.

Also until you get or build a boiler air should be good.

ALL Noelle-machines will be air or electric. The ones I keep will be air, electric and steam. The non-steam ones will be either too small for her to see or too large to fit a USPS Prority flat rate "shoebox". The steam ones ... well, they'll be weird, just like the rest.

No steam heading her way is to reduce the possibility of harming Yogi, her dog, which she would consider an act of war. That's an unacceptable risk so no steam goes her way.

Bigal, I'll only be firing one at a time - initially for adjustment & my own amusement plus photography & making videos, then for the occasional entertainment of some of the locals. I know a good number (adult and keiki) have never seen a steam engine of any type except in movies or on TV so it'll be fun watching them watch the engines.

BEst regards,

Kludge

I have a couple of old copper fire extinguishers,which I intend to use as the raw material for a boiler.This bypasses the biggest hurdle(to me anyway) of the price of copper.
If you have some silver soldering experience,go for it.If not,then start with something simpler.
It basically comes down to how much time and money you're prepared to spend.
But if you intend to use the boiler for public display,it must generally be tested to twice it's working pressure.Even a small boiler can kill you.For those occasions,I would be inclined to use air anyway.
I don't know if the German made Wilesco stuff is available in the US,or English Mamod.They do ready made boilers and engines running on methylated spirits.Maybe a bit small for your purposes though,Kludge.
BTW,steel boilers are generally only used in the larger sizes,say for ride-on steam tractors,or locomotives in 7 1/4 or 7 1/2"gauge.They need care to ensure no possibility of rust forming inside,Of all welded construction,in many countries the welder needs to be certified for pressure vessels.

bentprop said:
I have a couple of old copper fire extinguishers,which I intend to use as the raw material for a boiler.

Thew only ones I've seen were around 6" in diameter. Do they make smaller ones or are you planning a large boiler?

It basically comes down to how much time and money you're prepared to spend.

Plus my faith in my abilities. If I don't believe in myself (which I don't in this case), then all the time, money and talent in the world won't help. That's why I'm looking at "toy" boilers instead. Someday maybe, just not now.

I don't know if the German made Wilesco stuff is available in the US,or English Mamod.They do ready made boilers and engines running on methylated spirits.Maybe a bit small for your purposes though,Kludge.

Yep, yep. Excellent equipment, too. They compete with Jensen on this side of the pond (used figuratively since I'm 2300 miles from the mainland) though are a bit more pricey. The size is right, though. None of my engine designs is huge (3/8" diameter pistons mostly - some smaller & some slightly larger) which I think will result in 3-5 minute run times - long enough to be interesting without being so much as to be boring. Even for the keikis.

I shall someday start making boilers. Promise. I just don't have enough faith in myself now hence the queries about the Jensen et al equipment.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Latest posts

Back