Which quick change tool-holder is appropriate for a 12" lathe??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philipintexas

Reaction score
Specifically, for model engineering usage, not production, the BXA-200 seems massive and the AXA looks more appropriate. Is there a clear preference?

I have 1.250" from the top of the compound to the spindle axis..

My largest tool is 1/2" and boring tool size varies.

Last edited:
I had an AXA on my 10" lathe, and I have a BXA on my 14" now. I'd go with the BXA. The extra rigidity is nice, even with small work, and 12" swing is well within the height adjustment. I think with the AXA you'll find that you're always at the top of the adjustment to get a level tool, and sometimes you might not even be able to level it without shims.

The only downside to the BXA is the boring bar holder is nearly worthless because it's a 1" shank. You'll need a pretty thick adapter to run bars small enough for modeling. I find that I never use it, and instead run my small boring bars in one of the v-groove style holders that will accept square or round shanks.

I have an AXA on my 12" Clausing, and I like it.

Sounds strange, but when I have tried a BXA on the same machine, its bulk seemed to interfere with my accustomed view of what's going on. Also, I did not detect any advantage over the AXA for my purposes.

I have an Atlas 12" lathe and I put an AXA tool post on it. I'm completely satisfied with it.

From the research I did, the recommendation is to use the smallest that will work, not the largest.

Also depending on the space between the top of the cross slide and the centerline, it may be necessary to use a spacer. Not necessary on mine, but I have an OXA on a small 6" and I need a 1" spacer on it.

I have a BXA on my 12" X 36" lathe. I'm very happy with it. A made adaptors for my 1" boring bar holder allowing the use of smaller bars (3/4" and 5/8"). I made them from 1"cold roll by drilling and reaming holes and then spiting the adaptors with a band saw. It would be easy to slit them with a hacksaw as well. You can also get a turning and facing tool holder with a V grove that allows mounting small boring bars as well (1/2" and 5/8" shank).

Aloris suggests choosing on the spindle height above the compound top and not on the lathe's throw. Oddly they don't have a list suggested QCTP for ranges of heights, but instead an incomplete list of lathes with sizes:

http://www.aloris.com/catalog/aloris_p29.pdf

The issue is that you want a set that holds a decent range of tool heights but still allows you to lower the tool enough to get the top on the centerline of the spindle for cutting. Too big a tool and toolholder and you can't lower the tool enough, too small and you might not get it high enough without packing under the tool.

Thanks for the input guys, since my lathe came with the BXA I decided to keep it. Always nice to have the added mass and increased capacity if I ever need it.

Thanks for the input guys, since my lathe came with the BXA I decided to keep it. Always nice to have the added mass and increased capacity if I ever need it.

My Monarch 12" CK lathe came with a BXA and I wish it was a CXA.

The BXA boring bar holder I have is a 1" bore with a 3/4" split sleeve adapter. Smaller bars are held in the tool bit holders. ( 5/8" / 16mm width )

Aloris and Dorian holder will accept 3/4" /19mm tools but they do cost more than the imports.

Back