which engine to buy/make to run generator for rc ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buxxu

Reaction score
idea is to connect fuel engine to propeller that will run boat and add on same axis belt to some electrical engine to act like generator ...
to produce el power for remote board and servos for boat that will serve like fish feed catamaran
anyone have idea which smalish one will be ok for that ?

i hope i explain this ok

thanks

What size boat are you thinking about? How fast do you want to go? I would pick an industrial weedeater type engine for a 1 to 2 meter long boat. There are lots of commercial hulls and engines available.

Lohring Miller

i was thinking to make apu to power all el parts .from main axis to prop is hard to do so engine to generator = apu to bat to el motor/board/servo/ecs
and i was thinking to go this size Zenoah G290RC motor or something similar around 15-20 cc i think will be enough to power generator
which one from all these engines you guys making will fit this "size" 15-20 cc 1hp -1 1/2hp
i have small mill and friend have lathe plus can do some at work on cnc ,and scrap material for it :)
have 1100c electrical smelter for alu copper etc for parts
have 3d printers fdm and resin one for models
know how to work on 3d programs so easy from 2d to 3d for model prints to alu parts

so what you guys suggest ?

i think 500mm or like just to tow 2-3kg of fish feed to place we drop our hooks
can do all this on bat only but where will be fun in that :)
plus apu can be useful in many things like recharging phone when we stay couple days or like that :)

thanks for tip :)
but when i put all this on paper these 20 cc engines are just too big for 500mm boat for 1m + will be ok but .. .
i made mistake i was in last project ( we build tiger tank in 1m size and was heavy even we use alu so 1hp was in head) so i ask wrong sryy ..

for this project i need power wise 140-160w for motor (650kv mt3506) and 20w for board so all in all 200w so 1/3 of hp if 1hp is 746w
so which 1/3 hp or 1/2 hp size engine is right question to ask (finally ;) )
cant use airplane engines for it cause torq , thinking mall engine like you ppl build here like these v4 car engines in cca 100mm length
i look up for shops for these but even these small ones have 1.2hp and nitro are small but huh

any of these engines in engine/files section of forum fit to this small and in 1/2 hp to get less to no vibrations on end and enough power to run 200w alternator or dc generator

Like I said, these engines are for 1 to 2 meter boats. You can consider the 20 cc Zenoah, but that's still a little big. Our race boats in the 1/2 meter sizes run 7.5 cc engines. Again, what performance are you looking for? Electric drives are much more suitable for this size low speed boats. If you must run IC in a low performance application look at Sato engines like https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...-engines/fa-62b-aac-with-muffler:-bx-saie062b or Asp engines like https://www.hobbygulf.com/asp-engines.html/asp-fs61ar-four-stroke-nitro-glow-engine.html You will need to think about cooling and some type of power takeoff like the belt pulley in my last post. Aeromarine has collet adapters (https://aeromarinercboats.com/collections/drive-hardware/products/nitro-flex-collets) that can be threaded to fit your engine. Call them. I've made a pulley the collet holds on. You could make or modify a timing belt pulley as well.

Lohring Miller

Lohring Miller

sato engine look nice ..hate nitro ones .. i once almost burn friend car with it :) test fire and bzzk
lucky we was in fields so i can toss outside

now can only hope that vibrations will be low too
i want ic cause load gas in and no more to worry will it stop in middle of lake ,will bats get empty on cold night ..
did i bring spare bat .. hate batteries :) love ic
one day will make ic powered drone when nasa go to somewhere beyond just promises :)

just another q .. if i want to build small engine from these plans in here ,like car engine, in let say that size around 120mm
which one will be smart to build ?

will give this project infos to friend (it's his turn anyway) so he can work on that fishing boat
and i want to see will i be capable to build one .i was thinking to start with guide
from , which engine to build 1st, post
then main engine ,,which one would u suggest for build ?

when i search infos i see some images of ppl make these small scale engines i just do wow
they look pretty i know it will last till i build one but i got time :)

oh and thanks for help :)

I had a similar crazy (?) idea once....One of the RC flying fields I go to is electric "powered" models only. My thought was to have an electric motor "powering" the prop but put a small 1 cc pull start rc car motor (with a diesel head) in the fuselage running a generator charging the main battery in flight. Technically the airplane is electric powered and the small diesel would be no different than all the other flyers idling their cars in the parking lot recharging their batteries. Yeah well, never quite got around to it. Good luck with your project and keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back