Which drill rod ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugnut

Reaction score
A while back I ordered some drill rod from Enco to have some nice rod on hand for things like the pistons for my Elbow Engine. I ordered Oil hardening rod. I didn't like the way it machined (probably just me) now I need some more 1/4 to have on hand.
My question is which do you all prefer? Water, Oil, or Air hardening? I want something that reasonably machineable. :roll:
The price is about the same, well air harding is more but still not bad.
Mel

I usually get what is on sale
A while back my son and I dismantled some old computer printers. I was just machining one of the roller rods from one .machines great. And it was free!!
Tin

I've been getting oil hardening, use it for making small tools, dip it in ATF.
Haven't had too much trouble cutting/machining it. Cobalt tools, honed as sharp as I can get them. If you are using carbide, I could never get it sharp,
green stone and diamond file and it still wasn't sharp enough. Too darn hard to remove any from the tool. (You may have guessed I didn't like it)

Doug

Are you actually using the drill rod for it hardening capabilities or just because it is a ground finish?

For the little things I have made I prefer oil hardening simply because it is cheapest. I have a little electric kiln that allows me to accurately harden small parts.

If I want something for shafting get normalized ground shafting from a local supplier. You can weld the stuff which is not recommended for drill rod.

I don't machine alot of tool steels but I make alot of my personal (and the shops too) jigs, fixtures, tools and tooling from O-1 drill rod...its cheap. I always have a personal stock the top of my tool box

made all the feelers for my co-axial indicator from it, parts for my zero-it, made taps from it, little boring bars for BS jobs, made tap extensions, tool makers buttons, etc etc.

i;ve turned, milled, brazed, and harden O-1 (nothing too fansy with the hardening, just used a rose-bud and quenched in gear oil, i know have to use the proper ovens, its just we don't have any)

i use the best indexable inserts we have....if the insert is chipping i rarely think of grinding a neg. rake and i just go find a better insert or better tool ..i've had little good results with tooling with 0.0156 TNR unless its a very light cut (or profiling), so 0.0313 it is.....i've found they don't have to be a pos rake insert (aka with or with out a chip breaker as well)

i never really tried brazed all that much on O-1, the brazed tooling we buy are somewhat cheap and we've found a niche for them with turning finish diameters in my shop on alloys and bronze (my boss is alil old school like that)

Latest posts

Back