Where To Cast Aluminum?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborpress

Reaction score
I know, I know, in your backyard. But I don't really have a place where I can melt and pour aluminum. I just do not have that capability at this point. So what other options do I have?
I was thinking there might be a sort of DIY Casting workshop or something. Like how they have pottery places where you can make clay things and have them baked without having your own kiln. I can't seem to find anything like that which leads me to believe that they don't exist, probably due to the danger involved with metal casting.
There are a few industrial type metal casting businesses nearby, but I really don't think they would even take me seriously, let alone cast my parts at any reasonable price.
I am getting quite frustrated. I have my molds all made, but until I find a place to cast the parts, I just have a pretty wooden model...

Arborpress, where are you located? Might help you find a caster near you.
I have melted scrap over a charcoal fire in an old bucket, with a blower rigged from a hair dryer and a piece of chain link fencepost for a venturi, and the aluminum in a coffee can. Hard to find coffee cans nowdays, as most coffee comes in plastic. Haven't build a burner yet for a real furnace. I have a huge furnace given to me by a friend that moved out of the area.
If you live near me, we can build a burner and furnace. I have stuff I'd like to cast, too!

Chuck in E. TN

Get on alloyavenue.com and pull up the member map. I would bet there is a caster willing to help you out that is near by.
Im in Delaware and cast aluminum, brass, bronze, and iron. I do sand casting as well as lost wax block casting. Will work for scraps LOL

Thanks for the tips.
I'm in N.E. Ohio, Akron/Canton area.

I would love to have my own foundry, but I'm a college student and as long as I'm at my parents house, no foundry for me.

chuck try posting on AA and ask if there is someone near by....not all casters are on the map...

Back