Where to buy belt drive?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

datosi81

Reaction score
As luck would have it, I broke my plastic gear on the mini today and of course LMS is no longer carrying the belt drive conversion. Is there anywhere else it can be purchased from? I'm not so sure about my ability to make one at this point, but I'll certainly try....although I'm in a catch 22 at this point as I need the mill working to make it lol.
I guess worst case scenario I could buy replacement gears for the time being.

saw that too it is coming from turkey.

LMS used to sell them But IIRC steele was making them for them.
Tin

Not sure what to do here. Anyone have any experience with changing to the metal intermediate gear on the x2? I was thinking either order that from LMS or 2-3 replacement plastic gears. Are the gears inside the head plastic or metal? I'm thinking if they are plastic, might be better to leave the intermediate plastic too.

I never got around to changing gears on my mill as I did the belt drive very early on. However I DID do the gear change on my 7x12 lathe which is basically the same gearbox as the x2. Changing out to metal main gears was not a bad job, just make sure to take good pics of the spindle before you disassemble it so you have a reference point. I left the plastic intermediate gear in place to act as a "fuse" since it is easier to replace in the event of a crash. If you do a lot of heavy side cutting I would splurge on a tapered roller bearing upgrade while you are at it.

Not sure what to do here. Anyone have any experience with changing to the metal intermediate gear on the x2? I was thinking either order that from LMS or 2-3 replacement plastic gears. Are the gears inside the head plastic or metal? I'm thinking if they are plastic, might be better to leave the intermediate plastic too.

The gears in the head are plastic also. I changed them over to metal using the kit that LMS sells. I'm leaving the intermediate one plastic though for just the reason you mentioned, to act as a shear pin.

Latest posts

Back