Where to buy acrylic sheet in the US?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removing Paper contact cover on OLD Plexiglass/acrylic stock
One heck of a problem. Most solvents will not touch it
It isn't the paper so much , as it is the adhesive they used.
I have some plexy given to me that is 50 yrs old
The only solvent that ever worked easily was a aerosol can called D'Ink
Don't know what is in it as it also is about 30 years old and was sold
for removing Printing ink from newspaper presses . Not available today to my knowledge . Just sprayed it on and the paper came off, but the smell was terrible but boy did it work.
There is a product made in India with that name , but is not the product. SO !

The only way that works is to rub Peanut Butter ( no joke !) on the paper and let it soak between 1/2 hour to overnight . The peanut butter can be thin and spread out, not like you apply to a piece of bread. The oil in the peanut butter dissolves the adhesive.

Rich

for removing Printing ink from newspaper presses .

It might have been nitromethane. The best answer I've seen to "why can't we get cheap nitro anymore in the US" is "because they used to use it to clean printing presses and don't any more".

Model airplane shops sell "glue remover" that's basically nitromethane in little bottles -- you could try some of that if you were curious.

It's a right b*****, if it's the kind of thin plastic protective film. The sheets we have at work tend to have a pale blue film on one side which comes off easily enough however long it has been hanging about, and a white film on the other side which shrinks, cracks and splits, and which glues itself irrevocably onto the face of the acrylic. I've spent hours before, picking it off the face of a big thick bit which was going to be expensive to replace. What to do...peel it off when the sheet arrives, and then protect with cardboard or something?

If a heat gun and hot water don't work to remove the typical brown paper protective sheet, there is an industrial cleaning material supplier that offers a product specifically for that purpose. It does not turn the paper to much or adversely affect the plastic. It only softens the often petrified adhesive and allows the paper to be pulled off. I'll try to find the name of the supplier.

The world of industrial supplies has solutions to many seemingly intractable problems for the hobbyist. Knowledge of them, access to them, and shipping from them are the usual obstacles. Some suppliers have seen a profitable market and home sized kits of aluminum anodizing, steel bluing, epoxy and silicone casting, lubricants, electronic components, lathes, mills, etc. are offered.

Best regards,
Larry

Removing Paper contact cover on OLD Plexiglass/acrylic stock
One heck of a problem. Most solvents will not touch it
It isn't the paper so much , as it is the adhesive they used.
I have some plexy given to me that is 50 yrs old
for removing Printing ink from newspaper presses . Not available today to my knowledge . Just sprayed it on and the paper came off, but the smell was terrible but boy did it work.
There is a product made in India with that name , but is not the product. SO !

The only way that works is to rub Peanut Butter ( no joke !) on the paper and let it soak between 1/2 hour to overnight . The peanut butter can be thin and spread out, not like you apply to a piece of bread. The oil in the peanut butter dissolves the adhesive.

Rich

Image Supply sells a direct comparable to the D-Ink product. It's called Ink BeGone. It's non-carcinogenic and runs about 20% less than what D-Ink was selling for. Available in 8 oz and 1 gallon containers. About $10 a gallon less expensive than the Cooper's product also.

USD $10.60 8 fl. oz.

Image Supply Service
Phone: 800-283-6447
www.imagesupplyservice.com

Kinda off-topic, because I really need to know for work, but:

Who's good for acrylic sheet in the US? I'm thinking of some place that's your go-to, the same way that I buy steel from either Online Metals or McMaster. I just need small amounts -- half a square foot in the thicknesses I need will probably do me for a lifetime.

https://www.eplastics.com/
Eugene

Back