WHERE TO BUY 1/16" COLD ROLLED?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source in Ontario where I can buy 1/16" dia. cold rolled steel rod? Even if I have to mail order it from the States would be okay. I can not source nor buy it locally, and I'm tired of sacrifycing 1/16" drills for the cause. I don't need large lengths, heck, 12" lenghts would be perfect.---Brian

Brian Rupnow said:
Does anyone know of a source in Ontario where I can buy 1/16" dia. cold rolled steel rod? Even if I have to mail order it from the States would be okay. I can not source nor buy it locally, and I'm tired of sacrifycing 1/16" drills for the cause. I don't need large lengths, heck, 12" lenghts would be perfect.---Brian

1/16" drill rod? These guys ship to Canada quite happily:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=4652&step=4&showunits=inches&id=160&top_cat=1354

Brian,

Another source might be a local injection mold maker if you know of one. Cut-offs of ejector pins make great shafting though you will more likely be getting 3-6" length. Commercial ones are nitrided or otherwise case hardened so they are hard on the outside and not good for turning, but I have used them for shafts often because their hardness is very resistant to set screw marks. They also tent to be .0005" undersized and work well in an on-sized reamed hole. Just another option and with your design work I though you might know a mold maker nearby.

Bill

I'm not sure cold-rolled rod comes that small. Your best bet is probably 1/16" drill rod, as suggested.

Try the rack in your local hobby shop.

1/16" welding rod does the job for me, they type used for gas or tig welding not MMA. Just take the copper coloured coating off with a bit of emery cloth.

J

1/16 spring music wire? It's simply medium to higher carbon steel.

I second Jason's opinion on TIG lengths of filler rod, it's top quality steel and easy to work with. Also in 3/32" and 1/8" diameters.

Peter

Well I'll be totally jiggered!!!! I have a tube of 1/16" x 36" welding rod out in my main garage that I've had for 20 years. It is copper coated steel, and mikes at 0.063". It won't fit thru a drilled 1/16" hole unless you polish off the very thin copper coating, but then it goes thru with no problem. Imagine that!!! I will probably order a length of 1/16" drill rod anyways, as most of the 1/16" stock I require ends up being pivot pins and the extra toughness of drill rod would be a bonus there.
weldingwire2004.jpg

The big brown truck dropped off a box of 1/16" dia and a box of 3/32" dia hardened dowel pins yesterday. MSC had them in stock and now so do I. I ordered 1" lengths and will grind them to length as needed. They come in boxes of 100, the 1/16 were $13.63 and the 3/32 were $14.68 US per box. Dave

I just assumed that the need was for drill rod or similar. If the needed material is to replace 1/16" drill bits, then drill rod is the best choice.

For those who have trouble cutting small drill rod, use a Dremel with a cutting disc. 10 seconds to make the cut and another 5 seconds to deburr on the side of the cutting disc.

Latest posts

Back