Where do you do it?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From a previous post about garage doors where I suggested people show us where they get their kicks.

My workshop has been very little used for the last few years, and is only now being brought back into full use, so it is very untidy, and very little has been moved about in here for a while, just as I left it, except for the surface grinder sitting in the middle of the shop, which is being worked on. I cannot stand for long, so I use high receptionist chairs and sit on them while working with my machines.

So here goes.

It started off as a 20ft x 9ft concrete sectional garage that I put up myself and insulated it for the first 16ft, then built a small partition wall to make a small 4ft deep room at the very back. The main shop is kept warm in the winter months with just a small oil filled radiator which keeps the shop and the machines at about 60 degs F during the winter months, it soon warms up to well over 70 degs once the machines get running.

There are double power points every four feet around the walls, a total of 11, so giving 22 plug sockets, so there is always somewhere to plug things into. The whole lot is supplied by a 35amp 240 volt consumer unit with dedicated breakers to keep things to the correct amperage and SAFE.

So here we go, coming in through the main metal security door.

Right hand side

Workshop%2001_zpsj8vyh8zv.jpg

Left hand side

Workshop%2002_zpspd6s2mzj.jpg

And the view looking back

Workshop%2003_zpsrqqchupd.jpg

Moving forwards into my little metal prep area back room

Chop saw and linisher.

If you notice, behind the small bandsaw is another metal security door that is my escape route if fire breaks out in my main shop. I do have fire extinguishers about the place, but it is always better to have another escape route if anything nasty breaks out.

Workshop%2004_zps7p9bm6yk.jpg

The other end of the room, grit blaster, 3 in 1 forming machine (load of crap) and my little Black and Decker 25+ year old bandsaw, converted to 1/2" bi-metal blades and has kept me going all that time.
There is a 3HP twin cylinder compressor hidden under the bench, and I try to use nothing but pneumatic powered hand tools in my shop and around the outside of my house and garden, it is much safer than trailing live wires about the place, especially if I am working outside in the wet.

Workshop%2005_zpssdorlqro.jpg

So about my shop.
Because of so little floor space, I use the walls for storage. There must be at least a few cwt of tooling hanging up, but the walls are showing no sign of collapse, yet!!.
I tend to put the tooling where it is used the most, using commercial and home made racks and shelves to hold everything.
Lathe head with all the bits required, the chucks are all stored on a very heavy duty home made shelf between the lathe stand legs.

Workshop%2006_zpsedsmmaem.jpg

The bits for tailstock use are stored, you guessed it, above the tailstock.

Workshop%2007_zpsbemjdrx7.jpg

The mill gets the same treatment, collets, cutters etc are down there with it.

Workshop%2008_zps70stqjz1.jpg

You may notice hanging from the ceiling, roller blinds. These were made specifically for my shop by a friend of mine and are from a heavy duty material. They are dropped down to the floor to stop swarf and grinding dust getting into places I don't want it to be. It just hits the blind and falls to the floor, where it can be left until I have an occasional sweep up.
So onto a few more shots about the place. Shelves full of tooling, consumables (most now out of date) and anything else that hasn't got a proper home.

My die filing machine will eventually be moved into the back room and be replaced with a small CNC mill that I have yet to assemble (stored outside under a covered way, with most of my metal stocks on racks and in secure storage bins.)

Workshop%2009_zpsbhab5qje.jpg

Workshop%2010_zps6zgl1ujf.jpg

Workshop%2011_zpst05mpluc.jpg

Workshop%2012_zps5qjq92nj.jpg

So where do you get your kicks?

John

Last edited:
I have no time-
and lots of sq m.

So mine looks like a dump, and yours looks fabulous.
Well done.

I get my kicks making high-end stuff. Or, high-end $$$.
Seriously, you have done well, and I like it.

A general picture of my workshop taken through the window not long after it was set up. Not a lot has changed except it is now a lot more cluttered and less tidy (= workshop speak for more user friendly)
Workshop 2.jpg

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Attachments

• Anson 1.jpg
    Anson 1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 306
Dave,

Nice shop, especially the line shafting running off an old engine.

To me, no matter how untidy a workshop, if you are comfortable in there and it feels like wearing a pair of old slippers, then it is right for you.

I personally ain't into the polished machines and clinical working environments, but everyone to their own. To me, the more oil about the place, the less wear and rust to ruin everything.

John

John

The line shafting pic was supposed to be a joke, but it came out wrong! That shop is a demo display at the Anson Engine Museum.

The other pic (workshop 2) is my hole and I agree with your sentiments. Too much swarf on the floor for slippers.

Dave

Latest posts

Back