Wheels for Clayton Steam Wagon

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salubrious looking place, that Bannow Road !

ScreenShot.jpg

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I am trying to draw the Clayton in solid works at the moment and I am using the model engineer articles but I cannot find any ref to the slide shaft bearings. Do yo have the details of the bearings or can you tell me where you found the details.

I had no details so I improvised. I soldered a bronze bushing to the right side of the case and a bronze bushing held in place by three screws on the left. The removable bushing aids in assembly.

And thanks for your comments guys, I will be updating this thread again very soon.

Mark T

The Clayton project is nearly completed. The boiler is now installed and all the small bits have been added and tested. I have been running the engine on air to break it in. It’s still a bit stiff and sometimes needs a little push to get going but it runs smoothly once started. The boiler is one area where I deviated from the plan a little. Mainly it’s fired with gas rather than coal but it’s also a little smaller in diameter and a little taller. The pressure vessel volume remained the same. Having no experience in boiler making I relied on Kozo Hiraoka’s book “Building the Heisler” and L.C. Mason’s book on building the Minnie. Hiraoka’s book was especially helpful in selecting the correct copper and solder to use.

Mark T

Boiler Parts.jpg

burner.jpg

Super heater.jpg

Boiler Mounted.jpg

Back