What's it worth?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimsshop1

Steamman70
Reaction score
I picked up this Palmgren 8" rotary table at a flea market last year. It has X and Y adjustment and a tilt function. It is in excellent condition except for 2 - 1/8" holes in the surface of the table. It looks to be used very little and all functions are smooth and without any play if that's the correct word. Does anyone have an idea what it might be worth? Palmgren#1.jpg Palmgren#2.jpg Palmgren#3.jpg

The price is hard to say, ive seen rotary tables go for next to nothing or for several hundred at auctions.

With the XY im under the impression the table is for use in drill presses however it should do fine for light milling. Looks like you scored a good buy!

The price is hard to say, ive seen rotary tables go for next to nothing or for several hundred at auctions.

With the XY im under the impression the table is for use in drill presses however it should do fine for light milling. Looks like you scored a good buy!

The guy I bought it from said he was tired of carrying it around to sales as it weighs about 50 pounds. I said what's your best "tired of carrying it around" price? He said make me an offer to which I said $150.00. Sold he said! Then I had to carry it out of there to my truck. I'm 71 and not very strong but I made it with a few rests along the way. Isn't Palmgren known for making quality products? Are they still in existence?

Thanks wizard for responding. Someone here must have an idea of the value of this fine piece.

Jim in Pa

You may have established a value of $150. If the market doesn't want it, your bid is the new market price.

It's value is priceless if you can use it otherwise it's 50 lbs of steel at the scrap yard. A lot of good things get sent to scrap for their weight in metal and that's where I find many old but usable tools. I remember seeing a stack of new Sears radial arm saw motors. They plant didn't need them so they provided coffee money at scrap prices. I took 4 motors at $5 each and made grinders and I still have one in my shop after 30 years. It's priceless.

I have been reading comments on the web about Palmgren tables and most are negative but most are talking about the ones made now over seas. This one is quite old and is definitely made in the good old USA. It is rock solid and all functions are tight but move easily. I have used it on my Shopmaster 3 in 1 mill and have not had any problems milling aluminum. Milling steel using it may questionable though. I will have to experiment. It really doesn't matter how much it is worth as I am not selling it, I was just looking for comments about the value of it.

The guy I bought it from said he was tired of carrying it around to sales as it weighs about 50 pounds. I said what's your best "tired of carrying it around" price? He said make me an offer to which I said $150.00. Sold he said! Then I had to carry it out of there to my truck. I'm 71 and not very strong but I made it with a few rests along the way. Isn't Palmgren known for making quality products? Are they still in existence?

Thanks wizard for responding. Someone here must have an idea of the value of this fine piece.

Jim in Pa

Well as the guy above suggest you established the value. Prices can be all over the map at auctions. For example i once saw three identical tools auctioned off with the first two bring good money. Unfortunately the two guys that wanted the tool where not interested in the third which went for a song. We are talking $100's here. It is all about what a person wants to pay.

As for Palgren, i cant speak to their reputation, my point was that equipment designed for drill presses is often of lighter less rigid construction than stuff targeting a milling machine. The reason i think the primary reason for it being drill press oriented is the XY slide which isnt need on a mill for most operations.

Frankly for the work model engineers do it isn't a problem what the table is intended for as it is safe to say most model engineering is light work.

Before CNC, a turntable and a dividing head were tools a shop couldn't get along without at least one, often one per mill (or drill-press). When CNC grew up and became today's standard/common machine in a shop, the need for turntables and dividing heads went out-of-fashion, or at least were not needed. So all those tools flooded the market, and the "sale price" didn't seem to have anything to do with the original, or even today's new, price. So offer what you think it's worth to you and see what happens. If it's a large shop, you may have to pay at least scrap value, as they may have it/them in inventory and will have to write it off on the tax return.
I do not have a CNC mill, so I am quite pleased to have 3 sizes of rotary tables and 1 dividing head (that needs a crane to lift!!), all aquired for less than $100 total.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Thanks for all the comments. No need to go any further as I will use it and appreciate the fact that I have it. Thread closed.

Jim

Latest posts

Back