What upgrade for my computer??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal

Reaction score
I just bought a NEW fancy HP 7250 Photosmart all in one, go fast jump high, printer/copier/fax/scanner/unit. ( I thought I was doing a good deed, not forcing a program update. foolish me)

I couldn't get the scanner to transfer images to my computer so I called HP.

They said I need to up grade my old computer (Dell Pentium #4 2000 pro)system.

What upgrade should I get? The tech said they were having trouble with Vista(?) and I thought he said something about XP? Between me being hard of hearing and his poor command of English we had trouble communicating. :)

What upgrade is recommended?

Hal

Sounds like a driver problem to me too. A Dell P4 ought to be fine for that. You're running Windows 2000?

Windows 2000 is a solid OS but this is the year 2008. If you can find a buddy with win XP pro SP3 you would be better off.

If I was not so broke I would burn a copy and send it to you.

shred I'm running windows 2000 pro.

Rick I checked that sight out and it didn't help, maybe I'll have to have a closer look.
I'm trying to get my computer guru to stop by.

Hal
Thanks for the tips.

ok, so what happens when you plug the new uber-device into the PC?

Btw, if you want a new PC with XP on it, you'll probably have to buy it before June-- Microsoft is requiring everybody to be on Vista by then.

shred

I have it hooked up to my PC. I down loaded the software CD.
When I check the Scanner, Copier on "my computer" both the scanner and the copier list the correct HP 7200 series.

When I scan an image, the scan menu reads only, scan and reprint , and scan to memory device. The menu does not show "scan to computer" as listed in the book.
When I press "scan to memory" it states memory device not found.

Hal

Hal said:
shred

When I check the Scanner, Copier on "my computer" both the scanner and the copier list the correct HP 7200 series.

When I scan an image, the scan menu reads only, scan and reprint , and scan to memory device. The menu does not show "scan to computer" as listed in the book.

Hal

Is it in the clipboard? can you open your photo software and paste the image after that?

kind of like hitting "print screen" on your keyboard and you have a screen shot in the clipboard ready to be pasted..

Hal said:
shred

Hal
Doesn't look like that's a known issue in the drivers, so you may have to reinstall them and see if that helps. Scan to memory probably wants you to put a USB key or memory card in the printer.

Latest posts

Back