What to drive with my steam engines???

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to revive this old thread, as I now have a clearer idea of the direction that I would like to move in. I have found out that the double acting wobbler (my second engine) with the reduction pulley and o-ring drive, and also the beam engine will power the Slinky Machine with no problem. For the twin cylinder horizontal engine that I just added the governor to, I want to build something on which the load varies, but the load variation has to have longer periods of stability between high load and low load modes, and must run on its own without my intervention.--For example, I don't want it running a saw, where I would have to feed something into the saw to change the load.--Likewise, with a waterpump, there just isn't enough time between strokes of a pump to let the governor work the way I want to see it work. I am thinking of a baseball elevator, consisting of two #25 sprockets arranged vertically, one above the other, about 24" apart connected by a chain which has a "dog" attached to one link.. The sprockets would revolve slowly, and the "dog" would lift a softball up the 24" thru a clear plastic tube with a slot in one side to allow the "dog" to stick thru into the tube ,and the walls of the tube keep the ball from falling off the "dog". (This would be the "load" side of things). When the softball reached the top of the elevator tube, it would tip off, and follow a series of chutes or tracks back down to the lower elevation (this would be the "no load" stage), then it would end up at a loading position at the bottom of the tube and be picked up again to repeat the cycle. The ball would descend quite rapidly, but since the chain and "dog" move at a constant speed, the load/no load cycle time should remain the same all the time.---Any comments???

Instead of a softball, how about a large ball bearing? Say, 1-2" diameter. This would give you a decent load, and the size would be smaller, allowing for a smaller tube (clear PVC?). It would also be smoother; no stitching to worry about.

Other than that, I like it.

BTW, the slinky engine is something I want to make for my son.

rleete said:
Instead of a softball, how about a large ball bearing? Say, 1-2" diameter. This would give you a decent load, and the size would be smaller, allowing for a smaller tube (clear PVC?). It would also be smoother; no stitching to worry about.

Other than that, I like it.

BTW, the slinky engine is something I want to make for my son.

I like that idea--in fact I have a couple of largish chromed bearing balls, 1" diameter. The problem is that when you gear the machine down low enough to move at the speed I want to see, it develops some pretty strong torque and a 1" diameter steel ball might not be enough load to make the motor "work" the way I want..

Hmm, another idea could be a hammer mill sort of thing. A large diameter cam lifting a dead blow hammer and letting it drop.

Kevin

ksouers said:
Hmm, another idea could be a hammer mill sort of thing. A large diameter cam lifting a dead blow hammer and letting it drop.

Kevin
I actually thought about that, only with a roller cam and a baseball bat.

I'm not sure how big your engine is, but I've always thought it would be neat to have a small steam engine power an old fashioned hand crank ice cream maker. At the start of making a batch of ice cream it's relatively easy to crank the bucket or it's scrapers. Then, as the ice cream hardens, the load will gradually increase and require your governor to react to that load change. Of course, the whole process takes around 20 minutes for a 4 to 6 quart batch of ice cream.
images

Bernd, that's not fat, that's insulation. Well, that's my excuse, anyway.

Cruel guys,--Really cruel. And right at this time of year, people are generally nice to me!!! ;D ;D ;D Wait untill you see whats in YOUR stocking next week---

Brian Rupnow said:
Wait untill you see whats in YOUR stocking next week---

It will probably be cinders again, just like it has been as long as I can remember. :D

The trip hammer sounds like an idea I had - a pile driver but I think they used steam to lift it directly.

Hmmm ... maybe as a method to slow you down some - the harder you try to get way ahead of us in speed, the more drag it provides. *sigh* ... Won't work. You'd override the governor which would kind of defeat the purpose.

Best regards,

Kludge

Brian,

Don't complain, it's better than looking like 2 yards of chewed string.
wow.gif

Believe me I am speaking from personal experience. ;) ;)

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back