What to drive with my steam engines???

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly - we should qualify for a Government Grant for such an important project.

Brian, nice drawing of the machine that must be built :bow:. That goes on the to-do list for sure. Even without the slinky it looks like a machine that's doing some "thing".

Cheers,
Phil

I badly need one of them so it is going to the top of my roundtoit list until one of you blokes comes up with another great idea that I cant do without.You sure are keeping my retirement busy.LOL

Ian

Modification to pitman arm

slinkymod.jpg

Let's see....we got guys who can design stuff that's cool ::) and we got guys who like to make stuff that's cool ::). I'm sensing a meltdown in the future :big:

Cheers,
Phil

tel said:
Modification to pitman arm

slinkymod.jpg
Good Lord!!!! A pitman hand!!!! Reminds me of a funny story---Two old retired snakes are talking over hard times when they were young. One old snake says to the other--"Why I can remember when I was a kid, we were so poor that we didn't have a pit to hiss in."

Somebody's gotta build a beam engine with a slinky mod!

BW

Why not build a "Doctor" engine if you want to build a beam?

Dave

Brian

You have made such a fine job on the Steam Engine that you need something more than just a slinky to really show it off and draw attention. What you are showing here is a very good start for the slinky bases but why drive them directly from the motor. What about something that would lift up some metal balls or marbles and deposit them on the top platform. These platforms would be spring loaded and would sink with the added weight putting the slinky into action. This would also open a gate allowing the marbles to make their way back down to be recycled again or they could set something else in motion before returning to be recycled. I'm sure if others put in some ideas you will have a better mouse trap all powered by that cute little Steam Engine.

Cheers

Don

One of these comes in very high on the list of "Things to run with one of my steam engines" . It wouldn't take a lot of power for this one, so I could run it off of my double acting wobbler. It would run fairly slowly, with a massive ratio reduction via o-ring drive.
Geneva_mechanism_6spoke_animation.gif

So, lets see--I can run a slinky machine off the beam engine. I can run a Geneva mechanism off the double acting wobbler, and I don't know yet about the new double horizontal. It is a very powerfull engine, and there is enough "monkey motion" going on with all the exposed valve rods and connecting rods, and big flywheels that perhaps it wouldn't have to run anything. The very first engine I built, a single acting wobbler of Elmer Verburgs design, is a cute little thing, but its a bit small to run anything with.

tel said:
Exactly - we should qualify for a Government Grant for such an important project.

i dont see why not, my ex's brother got $80,000 to develop a surf board for women, lane beachly our world champ womens surfer thought it sucked "the worse POC i've ever ridden, a boogie board would be better" was her quote if i remember

a bloke got $60,000 to develop a brick lifter that he bought from some place in china and called it a unique invention

another clown got $45,000 to develop a happy work place scheme for state government workers ( silly hat friday casual clothing day etc) this has gotta be worth $100,000

Ha! I remember that surfboard grant! Back in the 'eady days of Bob 'awk, if memory serves.

you got it tel

Indiana keating and his budgets of doom days. J curve financing etc arh the mid 70's

i got a ticket to the pipeline classic in Hawaii and did not go ( Army) but my mate did and he did real good

shoulda been a surfer instead of staying soldier oh well.. at least i made it into Capt Goodvibes!!

the grant was actually $204,000 split between 3 surf shops, all about buying north shore votes

i recken a project like the one mentioned is way better..

now that labours back in maybe it'd be worth chasin up the ex, she was a wizz at getting grants for folks

:big: :big: :big: :big: my apology to the folks who aint got a clue what we're on about

Ah! The good ol' days, interest rates at about 22% and nobody cared!

It has been my experience that there is always government grant money available for damn near everything. The only problem is, that it is mired so deeply in Legalese that it takes seven lawyers and a bulldog to decipher the damn stuff!!! If you're not up to the task yourself, or don't have somebody close like Jacks ex to follow the paper trail to the money, then its nearly impossible to access it.---Brian

cool! thats a great idea!

Brian this may sound wacko

but i'm hopeing to run a roller coaster with one, Model of course

very similar to the early one at Coney Island in NY and Luna Park here in Oz ( early on 1900's)

both had steam Calliope's running music and the Calliope's both actually ran the rollercoasters and merry go rounds and in some cases other things as well the miuic drowning out the noise of the engine..

Back