What to charge to thread a rod

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I was working in a Railroad maintenance shop, I did some "contract" work for them in my shop.
One of the projects was some pins, 2" dia. x 6" long with a 1/2" threaded hole in one end.
They furnished the material. I had to cut the shafts to length with a power bandsaw, so I had to face the ends
to make them nice and flat.
I made 3 to start with, I think, keeping track of the time.
As I recall, I charged them $10 each and didn't worry about the time as I would work on them for a while,
then get distracted to do something else. You know how it goes. Anyway that worked for me.

I,ve made a few small pieces for the neighboring farmers over the years. Most of the time I've been able to
make the pieces in just a few minutes, usually while they look over my shoulder. I usually don't charge for
something like that. But when ever I need to borrow their skidsteer loader or need a load of manure
for the garden, they're happy to oblige.

I do the same for the older shrimpers around here. They have only one boat and it's a small one. They catch enough to pay the bills and stay active. Sometimes those parts are outrageously priced and they simply don't have the funds to purchase one or the seasonal time crunch is upon them. I tell them, bring me the old part, material to fabricate a new part from, and a day or two. Then they get the part I made and I ask for NOTHING in return. What they do give me are stories of life on the water and family. Yes, I get overpaid! Thank you for helping neighbors!!!

I do the same for the older shrimpers around here. They have only one boat and it's a small one. They catch enough to pay the bills and stay active. Sometimes those parts are outrageously priced and they simply don't have the funds to purchase one or the seasonal time crunch is upon them. I tell them, bring me the old part, material to fabricate a new part from, and a day or two. Then they get the part I made and I ask for NOTHING in return. What they do give me are stories of life on the water and family. Yes, I get overpaid! Thank you for helping neighbors!!!
Would like to know where you live since you talk about "shrimpers".

I'd go with barter. When I get someone that wants to pay me for doing something that keeps me busy and HELPS, I talk barter. Usually get more material to turn or weld for other little projects of mine.

Would like to know where you live since you talk about "shrimpers".
Very South Louisiana. 15 miles north of the end of the road. South of New Orleans (yes there is land south of New Orleans), south of Houma. Wow seems I'm south of everything except the Gulf of Mexico! Hurricanes pretty much move the Gulf up to us though. Actually live in Chauvin. Pronounced Chauvin!

Very South Louisiana. 15 miles north of the end of the road. South of New Orleans (yes there is land south of New Orleans), south of Houma. Wow seems I'm south of everything except the Gulf of Mexico! Hurricanes pretty much move the Gulf up to us though. Actually live in Chauvin. Pronounced Chauvin!
But if Chauvin is a French name, I could pronounce that about 8 different ways and STILL not have it right. I live in Moses Lake in the Soviet of Washington. No Shrimp or hurricans here

But if Chauvin is a French name, I could pronounce that about 8 different ways and STILL not have it right. I live in Moses Lake in the Soviet of Washington. No Shrimp or hurricans here

Of course, you there is always that expression- Male Chauvin-ist Pig, It could be construed as a 'Hot Whine. ;)

Present company excepted- of course?:p

I mentioned earlier that my local area rate of exchange is the bottle of wine. I handed over the house nameplate I have just made for a neighbour earlier this morning. He knocked on the door just now and gave me a half-box (6 bottles) of wine - look like decent ones, too! I did complain that it was a bit too much - I wanted a favour or two in hand for future use! Especially as he told me that he has just bought a small scaffold tower for gutter clearing and so on...

Still, he did seem very pleased with it. British forum members of a certain age might recognise the link between "carving" and house name! LF.jpg

Last edited:
Just one more thing to consider. If I charge for a machine job I am now a business and my insurance on my shop is cancelled. Lest you say who is going to tell. It does not matter, if I ever made a claim and they find out it is fraud. Not worth it. I have done small jobs like this - they are free or I refuse to do them, it is that simple. I explain the insurance issue and it ends the payment question quickly.

nealeb, it looks like your end mill slipped - there's a big hole in the wood just to the left of the bird ...

:)

In all seriousness, beautiful work, and I love the natural edges (and knot holes)!

Latest posts

Back