What to charge to thread a rod

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn’t say what to charge, most “jobs” I do are for friends, free of charge! How about asking the lady to provide you with one piece for you to thread to determine how easy/difficult the material is to machine. This should give you a rough idea of how long it will take, and how much to charge.
Doug.

Family is always free.
Friends depends on the amount of time spent always the new up front the price. That figure is any time going to over 2 hours or they help me it is still free.

Dave

I completely disagree. Our schools already suck up a great deal of tax money, and like the police, we need them but they are almost useless. The schools do not teach children the right subjects, children come out of school not understanding the least bit about finance or interest, they cannot multiply or divide without a calculator, they only know where Madagascar is because of a movie, they could care less about important historical events, (for instance, most never even heard of hitler or FDR or Churchill), clickking on their social media is more important than reading a book. This is the problem with our schools--they only teach in rooms without windows, and there is too little hands on. In psychology, it is well known that the more hands on material, the more a student learns. I can go on for hours on this subject but clearly, I believe the work should be charged for and no donations for charity.

Richard, much of what you say is true but should your kind of attitude be shared by many is sure to get worst.
I disagree. I am actually VERY pro education, the thing is, our children are not getting an education--they are being taught in the schools what is the parents' obligations: morality, rightness, truth--what the schools are doing is a travesty, they are teaching that it is proper to become gay, les, trans. There is nothing wrong with gay, les or trans in my book, it's that the TEACHING of this is wrong. This is a decision that the individual makes. Do they have that right? In my book, yes. Look up John Taylor Gatto--read a book or two of his and you will understand what I am getting at. BTW JTG got the best teacher award in NYC one year and the State of NY award for best teacher fro five years straight. HE claims the "education" they are getting is not education at all but a form of thot control. He is the one who wrote "Dumbing us Down". There are also some other teachers that have written books that would raise the hair on your hackles.

So my thots are that we need MORE people like me to take back our schools from federal control. The schools are a joke. More people drop out than graduate (not really, but the dropout rate is because the kidz realize it is a waste of time.) BTW those kids who get "the best grades" -- they are mediocre that's what and why our education is--mediocre--sorry, but it's true. Litan, Baumol et. al. have written an economics book that basically says that the federal gov, in fact all government control, ruins ANYTHING particularly education. Nobel Prize winner Richard Feynman says basically the same thing: (paraphrasing) The education system is like doctors from a couple centuries ago--they used cupping and bloodletting and never seemed to figure it out that it doesn't work, so with the education system.

Why doesn't the teacher have high school students do this threading? It's what the kidz need and it's why and how the schools should change what they are doing. I am a liberal but the pseudo-liberals (who make ME look bad) thimk that EVERY student has to go to college (more $$ down the drain). The ultimate end of this poor quality thimpking is that a person with an IQ of 50 can become a brain surgeon or heart surgeon. NO thanx, will not let anyone like that operate on me or mine. We need LESS education and MORE training. The pseudos thimpk that TRAINING is education. I suppose technically it is, but one should not use the word "education" when the word "training" is called for.

Last edited:
I think most of what he said was rubbish actually. They’re still teaching mostly the same stuff today as they taught me over 40 years ago.

I guess closing all the shop classes down is go thing.
America can just do serive work we do need manufacturering or farming.
Now what do we service our money going over sea.

I think schools need get back to teaching for real jobs.

Dave

I guess closing all the shop classes down is go thing.
America can just do serive work we do need manufacturering or farming.
Now what do we service our money going over sea.

I think schools need get back to teaching for real jobs.

Dave
I have two degrees, what they teach in college is totally up to the individual to take and learn. If hyou pay your own tuition that means you are eager and want to learn whether it be for a profession or some other reason, but in high school it is not that way. I for one believe in good education, but seriously, why is it that the system believes a person who is operating machinery, or harvesting corn need four years of English? It's absurd. Most people who take the required math courses never use a bit of it. So you are so correct -- we need to teach welding, machining, machine operations, electronics and electric and a whole host of other skills but that is NOT what is happening. Look to those who drop out--they are the clue to what is happening. Those who drop out understand how totally irrelevant this so called education is. Teaching the shop classes is expensive because of all the tooling but even so, that is exactly what needs to be done.

I did go to college
No loans I work as iron worker
I start welding and machine work be for I was in high school and only dream of being high school in steed of using books to learn the trade.
Other are not so lucky
I export aircraft hangar doors till sold my business in 2004.

Dave

I think most of what he said was rubbish actually. They’re still teaching mostly the same stuff today as they taught me over 40 years ago.

I did go to college
No loans I work as iron worker
I start welding and machine work be for I was in high school and only dream of being high school in steed of using books to learn the trade.
Other are not so lucky
I export aircraft hangar doors till sold my business in 2004.

Dave
Yes, me too, I workt while going to college. I didn't want to be taught krap and actually, I can only remember two classes that were total crap--one was education and another was a chemistry class taught by a total idiot.

I have two degrees, what they teach in college is totally up to the individual to take and learn. If hyou pay your own tuition that means you are eager and want to learn whether it be for a profession or some other reason, but in high school it is not that way. I for one believe in good education, but seriously, why is it that the system believes a person who is operating machinery, or harvesting corn need four years of English? It's absurd. Most people who take the required math courses never use a bit of it. So you are so correct -- we need to teach welding, machining, machine operations, electronics and electric and a whole host of other skills but that is NOT what is happening. Look to those who drop out--they are the clue to what is happening. Those who drop out understand how totally irrelevant this so called education is. Teaching the shop classes is expensive because of all the tooling but even so, that is exactly what needs to be done.
So what you saying is speed the money on sport and arts.
After a time everyone will need a college even to be a trash collection.
FYI they did that in one California city.
The other choice is have pay a price at a trade school for something the should giving.

Please read my last post I typing as you were posting.

What did your degrees do for manufacturing or export??

Dave

So what you saying is speed the money on sport and arts.
After a time everyone will need a college even to be a trash collection.
FYI they did that in one California city.
The other choice is have pay a price at a trade school for something the should giving.

Please read my last post I typing as you were posting.

What did your degrees do for manufacturing or export??

Dave
Dave, I am agreeing with you--teach what is relevant to the needs we have in our world NOW. Sports may be fine for the few who are into it but do the sports get anyone a job? Do sports actually make a person a better person or their life better? Not really. Art? Well art does provide a few people with some skills but even they are like the sportistas--it usually goes no further. But as you say, the trade schools provide practical experience and learning that keeps on earning. I love history but history in grade school and high school cannot seriously be called history at all--rather it is (put your country's name in here) MY country is the greatest! And every country teaches that. Idi Amin's country taught that -- I wonder what the little boys thot, the ones in his freezer when they ousted him. Stalin's country taught that and so did hitler's. 80-90% of high school curriculum is just krap. The only ones who this helps remotely are those going on to college (NOT trade schools).

Dave, I am agreeing with you--teach what is relevant to the needs we have in our world NOW. Sports may be fine for the few who are into it but do the sports get anyone a job? Do sports actually make a person a better person or their life better? Not really. Art? Well art does provide a few people with some skills but even they are like the sportistas--it usually goes no further. But as you say, the trade schools provide practical experience and learning that keeps on earning. I love history but history in grade school and high school cannot seriously be called history at all--rather it is (put your country's name in here) MY country is the greatest! And every country teaches that. Idi Amin's country taught that -- I wonder what the little boys thot, the ones in his freezer when they ousted him. Stalin's country taught that and so did hitler's. 80-90% of high school curriculum is just krap. The only ones who this helps remotely are those going on to college (NOT trade schools).
I do like kids going school and learning almost nothing to make a living. The schools prompt only college.
What taxes pay for is higher education aka high school.
The schools have failed there first part.

Now students either pay via loans or join the army. For failure of our schools.

Dave

FYI The students should know what happened in world war 1 and 2. The schools and teach subjects so badly.
I trying not get in politics here.

Basically try even someone here on site that tell how to manufacturer a cox engine by the 10,000 even 100 engines.
I can tell you how and not CNC. CNC is slow costly way of doing product work.

Dave

Last edited:
Getting back to the OP's question
have a look at the material
$1 per thread for an easy one
$1.25 for hard metal or long thread
Price per end does not sound so much money & you are not in it for serious bucks anyway
You have not quoted any hourly rate so they cannot hold you to one in the future

To the original question, is she supplying the rods? Is it something the school needs modifying, or are you providing the material? Is the OD 3/8?
You say the thread will be 1in long on 3/8"x16TPI? What is the length of the rod? Will it fit through your spindle? Is there enough room to mount the rods in your setup? (Personally, I cannot mount long rods as my lathe is in a recess in the wall.)
Do you have a 3/8x16 die? If so, and the material is supplied by your friend, and it's 3/8OD, it should be a relatively quick job compared to manual thread cutting.
Say 10 mins setup + 10 cutting using die, filing, deburring etc = 20mins / thread = 3 threads/h.
@ 24 threads, then you could be lining yourself up for 8h work.

What is a full working day of your life worth to you? With Covid going round, you may be glad for a distraction.
Also think about wear on your tooling.

As others have mentioned, you could treat it as a business or as a donation.

If it's a donation, maybe get your friend to pay for a decent quality die and a few bits of tool steel. It'll make the job easier, and you'll have a new die from it, and they'll be getting a decent deal too.

Personally, my job is about evaluating impact and true cost to have changes implemented.
If your friend has been quoted hundreds by other companies, and it's something they have to get done, you will be doing a favour charging anything less than they have been quoted. That said, that is just using other people's pricing.

Whilst I understand the view that some schools are crap, there are also some very god schools with dedicated and caring teachers working in less than ideal conditions. It may be different in other parts of the world, but here, no-one goes into teaching to get rich!

Just my 2c.

All good advice above. Here's my advice from experience:
As a professional engineer I have done the odd "evening job" - outside of work. The engineer who had the whole job (sub-contracting a small part to me - 3 evening's work.) paid me a rate equivalent to my hourly rate + tax as it went on his taxable/deductable invoices for the contract. (And I was cheaper than his regular "Contract" mates!). It was then my responsibility to declare that income to the tax-man. That's the rules in the UK. I guess the Federal tax guys would feel the same, so better to take-on the work - at a commercial rate - pay your taxes - and then the Feds can't prosecute you for tax-avoidance when they see it on the School's account. (It will be the accountants that insist it is a "Commercial" job!).
Obviously your "commercial rate" per hour would be "min. wage" or Mechanic's wage or something you decide, as you don't want to "rip-them-off", as you put it. (You are probably not charging large factors for Overheads, Profit, etc.?). Depending on how your retirement income works you may have a bit of tax to declare, then if you choose give the rest to charity (e.g. the school? - They usually have a special project fund you can feed?) - after paying for "used tools"? (e.g. a drill, die, any special cutting tips, coolant, etc.). The payment to Charity may be tax-deductable, but please do the Tax paper-work as I have known people brought down by "good deeds" that crossed the line of the Tax-man. (Or decline the job?).
That is fair and keeps everyone on the commercial basis that they want, and keeps you from the Tax-man's jail! - Respect him, he has powers that put Al Capone in clink!
And don't ask me about "insurance liability" - The US is rife with Lawyers trying to make money from everyone else - or so I understand?
An American tutor on a Contract Liability training course gave us catch-phrases to remember: "If you can't cover it with a contract and insurance, don't show your "aarsse" in the window!" - "If the Tax-man doesn't get you, the Lawyers will anyway".
K2

$20 per hour. I have don't things like that, I would do about 90% of the thread in my lathe then finish it with a thread die unless you have an autotap attachment for your lathe. If you do it too cheap they may return over & over wanting more at the same price.

At my age time is very short I would not do it for $1000 per thread money means nothing these days. I might do it free for a good cause.

To the original question, is she supplying the rods? Is it something the school needs modifying, or are you providing the material? Is the OD 3/8?
You say the thread will be 1in long on 3/8"x16TPI? What is the length of the rod? Will it fit through your spindle? Is there enough room to mount the rods in your setup? (Personally, I cannot mount long rods as my lathe is in a recess in the wall.)
Do you have a 3/8x16 die? If so, and the material is supplied by your friend, and it's 3/8OD, it should be a relatively quick job compared to manual thread cutting.
Say 10 mins setup + 10 cutting using die, filing, deburring etc = 20mins / thread = 3 threads/h.
@ 24 threads, then you could be lining yourself up for 8h work.

What is a full working day of your life worth to you? With Covid going round, you may be glad for a distraction.
Also think about wear on your tooling.

As others have mentioned, you could treat it as a business or as a donation.

If it's a donation, maybe get your friend to pay for a decent quality die and a few bits of tool steel. It'll make the job easier, and you'll have a new die from it, and they'll be getting a decent deal too.

Personally, my job is about evaluating impact and true cost to have changes implemented.
If your friend has been quoted hundreds by other companies, and it's something they have to get done, you will be doing a favour charging anything less than they have been quoted. That said, that is just using other people's pricing.

Whilst I understand the view that some schools are crap, there are also some very god schools with dedicated and caring teachers working in less than ideal conditions. It may be different in other parts of the world, but here, no-one goes into teaching to get rich!

Just my 2c.
Actually, there are good teachers everywhere but it is not the teachers' faults for what is going on--it is government interference and federal restrictions and requirements for the distribution of federal money to the states. The requirement that schools have to have children reach a minimum testing evaluation is only the latest work of art from our goverment--(like grey plastic dripping and deteriorating in the sun, very ugly.) The result is that schools now teach to the "test" not to the job. When the first schools were set up in the USA they were largely controlled by the parents.` According to John Taylor Gatto, industry decided to get rid of parental control in order for industtry to have cheap workers. The purpose of schools is exactly that: to provide cheap workers and make sure that the studeents don't get other ideas (like becoming a magnate who controls his/her own industry in competition with the established 'big boys' or even owning their own small business.) Has anyone seen that horrifying Hulu series "the Handmaid's Tale"? Well that is how industry and even government REALLY wants us to be--subservient and shut up and do as you are told.

Latest posts

Back