What to build..?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveRC

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to this site, so a big hi to everyone.... ;D

I have been lurking around for a while looking for plans for an IC engine to build.

For as long as I can remember (which is quite a long time) I wanted to build my own IC engine, for no other reason other than, cos I can...!

So now I have got myself a lathe (Warco WM-180) very happy with it and all working well and now have a mill on order (Warco WM-14) I am ready to start finding an engine to build. I would like to think my engineering skills are reasonable and always up for a challenge, and even if it takes me ages I will finish what I start.

So, what am I looking for. I am after plans for a 4 stroke petrol (spark ignition) single cylinder (at a push maybe twin), nothing to big and nothing stupidly small, static engine, more for display than anything else, so must look smart.

I think I found what I am looking for with this, "Webster Engine Works Single Cylinder 4 Stroke Gas Engine"

Looks good and plenty of built examples about, but before I commit to building one, any other suggestions / recommendations...?

Thanks

Dave

Welcome. The Hamilton Upshur Single IC engine is a nice build. ironman (Ray)

UpshurVertSingle2.jpg

Thanks guys...

Ironman (Ray) I do like the look of that Hamilton Upshur Single IC engine, this is now at the top of my list and I am just looking now to order the plans ;D

Dave

DaveRC said:
Thanks guys...

Ironman (Ray) I do like the look of that Hamilton Upshur Single IC engine, this is now at the top of my list and I am just looking now to order the plans ;D

Dave

Hi Dave. If you decide to go ahead and build one of the Upshur farm style engines, take a look at my current build thread. I'm in the process of building several customized versions, that can all be built from one set of plans. The vertical versions that can be built from the 'farm engine plan set' are similar to the 'single'.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=11257.0

-MB

Hi
This little beastie is planned as my next project when it gets warm enough, -3.7 this morning bbrrrrrrr.
Its a 4 stroke 15 cc engine described in Model Engineer, designed by Nemett aka Malcolm Stride.
4strokeengine.jpg

looks like fun.

Roy

take a look at jerry howells powerhouse single cylinder 4 stroke. i just finished it and got it running and need to post some pics. very good plans, and easy to follow , his boy now sell the plans , just go to jerry howell small engines . its a fun build and a ggod runner. jonesie

....for us novices Dave. Thats where I was around this time last year, looking for a basic single cyl. I/C to build. I picked the WEBSTER and you can read about my experiance here on the forum. Now that I got a handle on four stroke builds I'm into another single cyl. at this time. Dave.
IMG_0185.jpg

DaveRC said:
So, what am I looking for. I am after plans for a 4 stroke petrol (spark ignition) single cylinder (at a push maybe twin), nothing to big and nothing stupidly small, static engine, more for display than anything else, so must look smart.

Maybe a twin? There are still castings available for the Hurcules and the Silver Bullet. I own both sets of castings and do plan to build them both.

http://www.bobshores.com/bullethercules.html

If a single is your bag, how about the silver angel or little angel.

http://www.bobshores.com/angels.html

All very nice engines.

OK, Thanks chaps, loads of help there and lots to look at. Spent most of last night looking at all the options.

And the winner is, Hamilton Upshur Single IC engine.... It's spot on to what I had in mind and fits the bill for me. MB I am working my way through all your posts, but I think I will stick to the original plans (for now anyway) and I think I will just be building one... :eek:

Plans will be on order today and look to start building in the new year.

Thanks again for all you help, no doubt I will be back asking more questions soon.

Dave

Latest posts

Back