What should I bring to a show?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philjoe5

Reaction score
I'm thinking of showing some engines at Cabin Fever next month. One is a Stirling and will run on a propane burner (if I'm lucky), the other runs on compressed air. Cabin Fever web site says they supply compressed air. My question to anyone who has gone before is: do they have regulators or flow adjustors for individual tables or should I bring a needle valve type controller?

Cheers,
Phil

Phil
They run an iron air line across the tables with tap points every few feet. You'll need to supply your own flex lines, adapters and regulators as needed for your engines. I forget what size the taps were. We learned by experience that it's best to wait till some air has been put through the lines and any condensed moisture has cleared. There were a number of very unhappy engine owners who had to do some serious clean up before they could run their engines again. Once the lines were cleared, things went pretty smoothly.

If anyone is planning on making their first trip to Cabin Fever, take plenty of film or flash cards for your camera. You'll be afflicted by far too much visual overload to remember very much of what you'll see. Photos are the only way you'll be able to savor the experience in a relatively sane manner. My last trip scored nearly 1000 photos and lots of impressive creations to enjoy.

The Friday morning auction is well worth taking in, especially for model machinists. Between the variety of machine tools and handmade engines being offered, you're almost sure to find something good to take home as a "souvenir". The consignment sale area is also likely to grab you by the wallet.

A highly recommended trip if you can swing it.

Steve

Phil :
The taps are stop cocks with 1/4 NPT female fittings.

Here are some of the things I bring:
regulator with oil /moisture separator.
Air lines
fittings
Aquarium manifolds and tubing

Table cloth adds color to display
Table cover for after hours.
Toy/tool money there are lots of vendors.
Comfortable shoes I tend to be on my feet most of the day.
Tool kit to fix engines and install fittings and remove after show
Oil for engines, lock tite.
Teflon to fend off air leaks.
wife and son to watch display while I am off taking pictures and buying stuff.
Snacks I do not usually have time to eat and the lines are usually long.
Cabin fever is an experience. picture a couple of football field sized rooms filled with models, exhibitors and vendors.Then add a few thousand lookers by Ten AM.
here is
My Display
Tin

Hi Tin,
I've seen your displays at Kinzers and Iron Fever in 2007. They are nicely organized.

I thank you Steve and Tin for your great suggestions and hope to see you at Cabin Fever.

Cheers,
Phil

Latest posts

Back