What paint to use on Workshop floor?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a pourable epoxy designed for garage floors & it worked great. Whatever you choose, read the specs carefully. For new concrete, the curing process goes on for quite a while, and some coatings require it be allowed to cure fully before applying the coating.

I have tried various concrete floor paints on my garage floor none of which lasted. I even followed all the recommended preparation of power washing before and after an acid wash. Finally came up with a cheap solution, I use Tremclad oil based machinery paint and cut it 25% with thinner. The reason this works is that there is minimum buildup and the paint is now thin enough to get absorbed into the concrete. We have winter weather here and the salty water dripping from the car does cause some pealing but it is easily touched in the spring. If you have ever spilled paint on your sidewalk or patio while painting your house and tried to remove it you will know why this solution works at a fraction of the cost epoxy.

Don't waste your time or money on that 2 part crap sold at Lowe's or Home Depot. I did, following all directions. It didn't last and stained way to EZ. Don't spill coffee on it! I went to a company called Anchor paint and purchased the 2 part epoxy they recommended. Any store that specializes in paint should be able to help you out. It was twice the cost of the first Crap but it is tuff as nails and won't stain.

Don't waste your time or money on that 2 part crap sold at Lowe's or Home Depot. I did, following all directions. It didn't last and stained way to EZ. Don't spill coffee on it! I went to a company called Anchor paint and purchased the 2 part epoxy they recommended. Any store that specializes in paint should be able to help you out. It was twice the cost of the first Crap but it is tuff as nails and won't stain.

Spot on. I got mine from a company that formulates coatings for industrial & commercial floor applications. It cost me about 4x what the big box stores sell, but was well worth it.

Latest posts

Back