What kind of machine is this?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zilot

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what kind of machine is this? Looks like vertical steam engine, but I don't know if it is complete, or it is modified for others use... Guy who sell this, says it is blacksmith hammer, but I can not see how it can be hammer...

thanks

Attachments

• Masina01.jpeg
    Masina01.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 366
  • Masina02.jpeg
    Masina02.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 354
Do you know more about, to look for specs or some more photos to see if this is complete, or some parts are missing...
maybe you know type or so...

I can see "BRITISH PATENT" with a long number underneath it cast into the head casting. You should be able to look that up pretty easily I would think.

that is..... unless this is just a brain teaser for us........;)

Guy who sell this, says it is blacksmith hammer, but I can not see how it can be hammer...
Maybe it was used to power a blacksmith power hammer. There appears to be a V-belt groove in that huge flywheel. Would that flywheel possibly accommodate a flat belt, too.

Looks like it was converted from something, to something else, ha ha. Does that seem like a heck of a lot of flywheel, almost like it was doubled up? Or for a clutch on the flywheel for a hammer? What is the patent number on the head casting?

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of different power hammers (blacksmithing is another hobby of mine), but I'm struggling to see even part of a hammer in what is there. There were a lot of good British hammers though, so it is possible this is part of one that I just can't recognize.

I'll post one of the pics on a blacksmithing forum I frequent if you want. Maybe someone will recognize it.

It's certainly not a steam engine. The push rods and valve gear indicate a 4 stroke IC engine and it looks as though there is an injector situated on the cylinder head so could be gas or diesel powered. Also there's a vacant flange at the flywheel end of the cam housing which probably accommodated a fuel injection pump, once again pointing to a diesel cycle.
Graham

It's a Lister diesel. Don't know the model at the moment but a search/question here Lister Engine Forum - Index should turn something up. This one is driving a compressor.
Ian.
lister1.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, that's what the blacksmith folks said: "It's a 1930s Lister CS stationary diesel engine with something odd attached to the side. Maybe an exhaust suppressor? "

Impressively fast identification. Anyone seen one of these? I added a few artistic extras because people kept commenting that it looked like a coffee grinder.

Attachments

• 6DF693AB-C875-4F90-BF8A-0F372B3F8EC8.jpeg
    6DF693AB-C875-4F90-BF8A-0F372B3F8EC8.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 1C081F7C-B466-46ED-BA48-7EA6D75360B1.jpeg
    1C081F7C-B466-46ED-BA48-7EA6D75360B1.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 137
Next up: What's That Tune. Identify the engine via listening to its exhaust!!!!

I was told it may be a Pacific or an Oriental. I found a picture of a large Oriental that has a small fly ball governor where this has a homemade looking wing nut. If this is the case the exhaust will sound like a throttle control engine ‘which it does’. I’ll fire post a video.

Thank you all for answers. You are right it is Lister diesel engine, but unfortunately this one is incomplete. There is no fuel pump. and no radiator for cooling. Probably some more parts are missing...

The price in this condition is about $250.... but seller obviously doesn't know what it is... do you think it is worth?

It is only worth the final selling price. at least that is what both parties agree it is worth.
On the open market, $30 for scrap, if you are lucky, or any amount as a non-working engine with a lot missing! Check £&@y and other websites to compare anything similar,,, after a week or so you can see what things are selling for, anyway.
Do you want it "commercially" to do up and sell on? - Or as a project to last a couple of years while you acquire something you'll enjoy restoring? - Either way it's value is whatever it can sell for.
Selling old motorcycles I make a guess, double it and never sell at less than 60% of that value. There is always someone with a price (Money) that makes you happy. Buying, just never pay more than 80% of the asking price... unless it really is what you'll pay full price for, because of rarity or some other reason.
That's all I know.
K2

The coffee grinder engine!
Looks to be early, it has a side shaft drive. Possible ignition timer missing. Could be a 2 cycle, more pictures, Please.
The crank handle defiantly does not belong. It has a lunkenheimer mixer and some extra monkey business. you selling?

Thank you all for answers. You are right it is Lister diesel engine, but unfortunately this one is incomplete. There is no fuel pump. and no radiator for cooling. Probably some more parts are missing...

The price in this condition is about $250.... but seller obviously doesn't know what it is... do you think it is worth?
Lister Petter PA2 Diesel Engine (E2848) | eBay is the closest I have spotted...

Someone might have tried to make a compressor of the engine. There seem to be a v-belt pulley groove on the attachment next to the flywheel, a pipe coming from the injector position and a nonreturn valve( might also just be a T) in the pipe.

I’m not sure. My information is from a group that collects California built engines and more specifically, those built in San Francisco. I’m not entirely sure they actually know what this is either. Pacific or Oriental was the guess. The intake and exhaust matches a Pacific from the mid to late 1800’s. The side shaft make and break ignition is an add on. The piston top has the remains of a post used for ignition same as a Pacific. The Oriental looks similar and used a small fly ball governor where this engine has a homemade wing nut to limit the intake travel. It was suggested that sat on the gas tank as part of a vapor carb. The Luk mixer was an add on to make it run so my dad could show it at an engine club show about 15 years ago. The gate valve was installed to add fun confusion. The cylinder and head are water jacketed and I was using a Folgers coffee can as a water hopper. The intake, exhaust, and ignition ports are cast into the housing. When my father picked this engine up in 1968, the person who had it said it was last used to power a printing press. There are two screw holes where the name plate lived.

Vary interesting! Quite possible that it was a vapor engine or a constant level vapor carb. There was a few very unusual engines from the Californian area. Thanks for sharing.

Back