What is your answer to this question?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At an outdoor exhibition, I convinced one yahoo that my LTD Stirling, sitting on a freezer block, was being powered by neutrinos emanating from the black hole at the center of our galaxy.

Didn’t like psychology much - found it a bit "wishy washy". I did study brain surgery (part time) so I could give some advice on that.

Dave

Not quite model engineering but we had a retired paramedic who volunteered as a general hand on our steam tug. We were warming through ready to get underway for our 1st trip of the day when he appeared on the plates with a couple of his mates. He then proceeded to explain to them in great detail what I was doing and how this hissing panting beast actually worked :-X

I fully understand what Steve is saying about poker faces. I almost wet myself at some of his statements, made completely seriously, with well rounded vowels, erudite technical phrases and in complete ignorance of what was happening or how it worked.

It does prove that "Ignorance is Bliss" ;)

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak

Is this for real:
he appeared on the plates
with a couple of his mates
Are these big plates or little people, nice bit of poetry though.

I use to do tap dancing 'til I fell off and hurt myself in the sink! :D
Dave

Ok I've been waiting all day to respond to this ;D

Img18.jpg

The above photo is of the engine room of the steamboat "Sabino"....I was a Volunteer Engineer on her, 1 day a month for 12 years.

As you can see...she's coal fired, with a big shovel

Besides answering the bells and running, and taking care of the engine, and the pumps, you also fired the boiler....YOUR BUSY!

The engine room is open to the view of the passengers and is about 5 feet down from the main deck. As the engineer, your expected to converse with the passengers and answer their questions. The kids always asked the best questions....The grown ups...not so much.

Picture if you will the 140 F engine room with yours truly, sweating, covered in oil and coat dust, in mid swing with a large shovel of coal, signal bells ringing and have the "grown up" ask the following questions ( these are all TRUE I swear)...and imagine if you will keeping a straight face and answering and polite and factual manner.

OK...do you have that image in your mind? Here we go..

"Is that real coal?"

"Where's the diesel?"

"What does this burn?"

Is there supposed to be a big fire there?

Is this boat on rails?

Is this electric powered...you know just for show?

Where's the bar?

"I can't imagine being so hard up that I needed to shovel coal for a living."

And I was a *^&$%( volunteer!!!!

Now granted, I would say at least 85% "get it"....the others........ Geeez!

Oh I forgot one...."Has this thing ever blown up?"

Maryak said:
I fully understand what Steve is saying about poker faces. I almost wet myself at some of his statements, made completely seriously, with well rounded vowels, erudite technical phrases and in complete ignorance of what was happening or how it worked.

In that case, Bob, you'll probably appreciate this...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o[/ame]

DaveH said:
Maryak

Is this for real:
he appeared on the plates
with a couple of his mates
Are these big plates or little people, nice bit of poetry though.

Of course it's for real ;D I'm a poit and I didn't knowit. *bang*

Tap dancing has long been a favourite of mine and I fully understand the sinking feeling which accompanies a soapy washer. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

mklotz said:
In that case, Bob, you'll probably appreciate this...

Thanks Marv,

I most certainly did. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Well I'm off to bed.
Thank you all for a great time.
Best wishes
Dave

For years I was a very shy person and as a consequence missed opportunities to learn from others. I went unnoticed or noticed but ignored. I sat in the back of the classroom and participated very little in classroom discussions. Then I noticed that participation and class grades seem to directly relate to one seating place. May I add that a number of my fellow students, the ones in the front with stupid questions, got better grades than I. and I admit, They were smarter! I had to make a move...up.

So, I have asked some "off the wall" questions" but not out of ignorance but interest. What hurts is when my questions were dismissed or ridiculed. I don't want to be "that guy". The fact that I opened myself to ask you about a subject that I obviously know little of, shows my appreciation of your experience and I would hope that you have enough pride in your accomplishments to share it with me.

BTW. Most exhibitors I have spoken with want to tell you ALL ABOUT their project. Which is the way it is supposed to be.

As Mrs Tin said. We all give a honest answer.....

Dave

I played a video of my H&M engine today at work. One of the guys replied, man that thing has a bad miss and that I should tune it.

I kept my cool and explained how it works. ;D

Maybe I just expect everyone to be as smart as I am ;)

Hello Again, Gents!

I'm so glad Tin left this open, and I got a chance to read through your day of fun. Each and every one of you, sounds like someone I'd enjoy exhibiting next to at any show! I've seen pics of many of your projects, and love to tell people about the ten different guys who put together 'Team Build 1' with most never having met each other in person. Keep up the great work!! Also, I understand that some other forums haven't been very accommodating of hobby machinists, so am very, very glad to recommend THIS forum every chance I get.

You guys are awesome! :D

God Bless!

"Mrs. Tin"

Jpaul
Having been the very guy you described, in my younger days, he's not hard to recognize. Directly asking if he has a question often begins a pretty decent conversation. When I spot him, I work to draw him out and get him engaged. Sometimes he/she is a kid, but they often come in an adult sized package too.

Thank the gods for one special USAF student squadron commander who forced me far out of my comfort zone. He refused to let me remain the shy kid, hiding out in the background. I'll never know what he saw within that shy young airman, but I'm happy today that he did. The funny thing about that statement is that I hated the guy to my very core, back then....LOL

Many years later, I learned that he was apparently the older brother of Jason Alexander, (George Kostanza) of the sitcom "Seinfeld" fame.

Steve

Thank you Mrs. Tin
In the short time I have found and "haunted" this site, the posters have been very helpful with anyone who posted a question, (except my first, but we won't get into that here). In fact, I am so impressed with what these folks have accomplished, the wife and I are going to Waltham this Saturday to see these wondrous machines in person!
Jim

chads said:
Now that I have completed my first IC engine I get a new stupid question.

"What are you going to use it for?"

Do you guys ever get this question. If so, what do you tell them?
......I would tell them, "It helps me in dental school"! ......as they have their mouths wide open at seeing these engines run. ;)

Exhibiting has taught me a lot as well. I have learned a lot about reading people body language and facial expressions.
There are folks that know it all and have seen it all and just want to look. Some have no clue and are afraid of asking stupid questions and or do not know what questions to ask. Some think they know and tell explain how it works to there friends some are right some are not. ....
I try not to pigeon hole folks or classify them but give them as much information as they want to learn. the tin can turbine is a great conversation starter.
Tin

jpaul said:
They were smarter!

Many have more knowledge or experience not necessarily smarter

So, I have asked some "off the wall" questions"

Look to the small to see the big, videos of explosions show a shock wave that far exceeds the speed of the material blast. As it appears our universe is expanding could it not be that the initial big bang shock wave is pulling upon the fabric of space itself? you want off the wall?

BTW. Most exhibitors I have spoken with want to tell you ALL ABOUT their project. Which is the way it is supposed to be.

Yippers

Robert

I have encountered the " what are you gonna do with it" question several times recently and had to take a moment to remind myself that although I have been a mechanic for decades and dabbled in machining for nearly as long, up until I actually tried to get a home built engine to run, I had no idea how much work and care was involved in the process.

it is easy for someone who has built an engine from scratch to look at another completed engine and appreciate the amount of time and care represented. it is not always easy for someone without that experience to realize that the satisfaction of completing the engine and getting it to function as designed is a suitable destination.

Randel

Latest posts

Back