WHAT IS THIS ??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, my bad. You're right. I had just woken up brain was still quite fuzzy ::)
Tin for glass, but I still think it's zinc ingots.

Ibro Corpperation- Merchant Exporters of Metal Scrap, Steel Scrap, Iron Scrap, Aluminum Scrap, Zinc Scrap, Copper Scrap, this might narrow it down a little, and if all else fails, if in doubt dont use it!

sorry I've not got back quicker ;D .can you guys help with the math ??? i broke off a small bit a put it on my reloading scales, 67 grains not grams and displaced .8 cc in a old syringe.
:bow: :bow: :bow:

mklotz thanks but i need a little more help i dont know the math and is there enough info to figure what this block is

To show the work, what you want is density.

Density = mass / volume.

So, a mass of 4.342 grams / 0.8cc = 5.4275 gm/cm3

Popping over to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elements_by_density

the nearest to 5.42 is.. urk.. Germanium or Radium. Arsenic and other fun stuff are nearby as well. I hope I borked up the math somewhere or it's an alloy.

edit: Vanadium is around there as well I think

Accepting the approximation methods that got us to the weight and volume and consulting the table of elements we find Titanium.

If I were to bet on what you have I would say it was 99.99% pure Titanium for use in steel alloying foundry work.

Read up on the physical attributes and see what you think...

Kermit

He said no spark titanium would give a bright white spark.
At least he aircraft grades do.
Tin

In that case the Bismuth is about the only one left with the right attributes. Very few of the elements in that range of density would be found in such large quantities so pure, unless it had a big use in industry.

http://www.rotometals.com/Bismuth-s/4.htm

Not the big price commander like silver would be but still, 10 lbs over $100 in value. With some lead and a little tin.(solder is 50/50) you could add the Bismuth and make your own low melting temp casting metals. ;D

Kermit

I've been hoping you'd find out it was bismuth... fun stuff! ;D

Bismuth's density seems way off. At 9.78g/cc, that's almost 2x the calculated value.

Zinc would be closer (~7g/cc). Did we ever rule out zinc? It's widely available in 3-slab ingots marked "99.99+" at about 25Kg ea (which this would be two thirds of)

Here's a web pic:
BS7DJ3N91zincingots.jpg

If it was zinc it would have reacted very vigoursly to the cleaning in muratic acid mentioned on page 1. Like an alkaseltzer in water.

;D

Kermit said:
If it was zinc it would have reacted very vigoursly to the cleaning in muratic acid mentioned on page 1. Like an alkaseltzer in water.

;D
right.. but... Bismuth's melting point of 520'F is below that of lead (620'F), so throwing a torch on it as mentioned in page 1 should have done something (maybe the same for Zinc @ 780F))

Pure bismuth would be cool because it can be used to make colored square-spiral crystals.

crystals_1_4_small.jpg

Vernon said:
It sure does... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bismuth

Yeah, we're all going to find out this is something far less exciting. Call it "Lumponium" or "Uninterestingium"... or something. ;D
"Oh, that... we just poured a bunch of molten swarf & pot metal into the ingot mold..." ;D ;D

Well, most of the other things it could be aren't exactly healthy to have around in large quantities. Take it to a college somewhere and have the chemistry dept identify a sample for you.

Latest posts

Back