What is proper ring groove depth?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldengineguy

Reaction score
I am building a Snow engine and could not get commercially available 1.060 rings as called out so I upsized bore and pistons to 1.125. Debolt supplied rings in this size .093 width by .050 thickness. How much space(depth) should there be behind the ring? Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Colin

If you ask Debolt, or look at his website and find the rings he has sold you, he will tell you the answer. that's what I did and they work fine.

Looks like Stevehuck has it right. I just took a look at the rings I bought from Debolt and the info he gave me. His rings are .059" "deep" and he had advised me to make my ring grooves .067" deep.

The best is to use the MFG spec
The good new about rings is only the width needs to close.
I use a cut off tool and sharpen to width plus 0.001". Use sample bar to check sometime the cuter will cut wider

Dave

I am building a Snow engine and could not get commercially available 1.060 rings as called out so I upsized bore and pistons to 1.125. Debolt supplied rings in this size .093 width by .050 thickness. How much space(depth) should there be behind the ring? Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Colin

Back