what is it?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinkerstoys

Reaction score
Tag reads dumore lathe fixture, metal cutting ,model #8349. What is it and what is it worth? I cannot use this item. It is to big for my lathe. IMG_20130303_160858.jpg

IMG_20130303_160851.jpg

IMG_20130303_160841.jpg

IMG_20130303_160818.jpg

See if pics work. Thanks

Looks like a milling attachment for a lathe.
No the V way is on the wrong part for that.
...lew...

I have more things like this, all to big for my antique lathe. Thanks

That is indeed a milling attachment for a lathe. The "V" groove is used for holding round parts such as a shaft that needs a key way cut in it. Destroyers and smaller class ships in the US Navy Ships were issued these for the Lathe in the machine shop as there was no room for a mill. Typically the Lathe would be a 12" X 48". In addition to the lathe there would be a pedestal grinder with 12" wheels, an 18" metal cutting vertical bandsaw, and a Radial Drill Press.
Welding and cutting was done in the HT (Hull Technician) shop usually located in the next space. Below is a picture of a Lathe and Radial Drill Press in the cramped quarters of a Fletcher Class Destroyer in the machine shop. While in-port a watertight bulkhead plate is removed and a trolly beam bolted in place connecting the machine shop to the HT shop.
22777d1288310938-destroyers-fletcher-class-machineshop11.jpg

Latest posts

Back