What is a RJ33-13L need to replace my drill press chuck but How?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMS

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I have a Ryobi DP100 table top drill press but the chuck is garbage its kinda soft and after years of use the drill key is slipping from the worn out teeth. So I would like to replace it but how? There is no drift pin slot, so I am thinking its a thread on type but not positive. The chuck markings are RJ33-18L. To me this is a nice little table top drill press, its served me well for many years doing basic drilling operations (no plastic at all on this baby!) the only flaw I see is this soft chuck, other that that its smooth running.

Rob

It sounds like it's a Jacobs 33 taper in the back of the chuck. It may require wedges
to remove it. Does the spindle have a small shoulder just behind the chuck for the
wedges to work against?
...lew...

Lew Hartswick said:
It sounds like it's a Jacobs 33 taper in the back of the chuck. It may require wedges
to remove it. Does the spindle have a small shoulder just behind the chuck for the
wedges to work against?
...lew...

Hi Lew,

Yes it does.

Where are you located? Is there any other home shop types anywhere near that
could possibly have a pair of J33 wedges to borrow. If you were close to Albuquerque
we'd have it off in a hurry. :)
...lew...

Lew Hartswick said:
Where are you located? Is there any other home shop types anywhere near that
could possibly have a pair of J33 wedges to borrow. If you were close to Albuquerque
we'd have it off in a hurry. :)
...lew...

Lew,

Thanks for the help! I am in MASS, but actually I do have a couple of commercial shops around. But at least I can figure it has a taper so my next question would be once I get it off am I correct to assume that the chuck is threaded onto the tapper with a Left hand thread? Then finally what is the best option in replacing this? Can I get a Jacobs with an 18L to fit my existing taper?

Thanks,
Rob

If I'm correct in my "guessing" , the back of the chuck has a hole which is a
Jacobs female taper, the spindle has a matching male taper, when they are
put together (usually with a light impact or in severe cases by a shrink fit) they
will really stay there. The wedges exert enough force to separate them.
My really old Craftsman drill press has the same J33 taper but in addition a retaining
collar, I've been tempted to get one of the keyless chucks like the Albrecht but
could never come up with a method of matching the collar to it. Some of the other
common tapers on the rear of chucks are J3 and J6 . That is what is on the bigger
ones for the lathe tailstocks at school. So the "adapter" has a male Jacobs on one
end and a Morse 3 on the other end to fit the tailstock ram.
So there should be no threads involved at all.
...lew...

100_1157.JPG
Here are some Jacobs tapers (on Morse taper arbors). These of course are the 'male' side which should be on the OP's drill press arbor. Also shown are the 'wedges' referred to. Your Jacobs taper dimensions are shown here: http://www.davehylands.com/Machinist/Charts/Jacobs-Taper-Chart.png

Oops! Suckered by a 10 year old post!

Last edited:
If the wedges will not budge the chuck be advised that sometimes there is a screw inside the jaws cavity that need to be removed.
My drill press had a regular RH Phillips Hd screw that I replaced with a Socked head
My Makita hand drill, which is reversible, had a LH special screw before I lost it and had to make one.

The last post relevant to the OP was December 2010.

bobbytbonee57 current question is "Will J33 interchange with RJ33". I believe they are two names for the same thing, a Jacobs 33 taper is a Jacobs 33 taper. I assume that the 'RJ' is a manufacture's part number for their particular 33 taper mount.

To get pertinent answers, bobbytbonee57 should have started a new thread...

Latest posts

Back