What have you been doing today?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had some pretty mild weather here on the shores of Lake Erie. We typically get more than 100 inches of snow in a season here, so far, only like 43 inches. We had the warmest February on record I believe. Usually at this time the inland ponds & lakes are frozen over enough for safe travel for the ice fisherman, but that hasn't happened. I sold my snowmobile many years ago but held on to my cross country skis & don't (Can't, no damn snow) use them anymore. I will put them up for sale for it'll be hard to sell them this year.

I prepared for the winter by tearing the old snow thrower apart. I repainted the shroud, replaced bearings, belts, cables etc.

I'm not complaining (although I would like to beat the hell out of the snowthrower to see how much it works better).

But, as always, a new dawn arises & spring comes. Trout season opens in a month or so, time to dig out the camping/backpacking things, dust off the mountain bikes & maybe even get the motorcycle out.

Learning new software. Here's a fictitious mockup for a 1" bore engine. I'm trying to challenge myself to find design solutions that might meet an aesthetic, even if the end result won't look as was originally intended.
CyclesRender.png

Learning new software. Here's a fictitious mockup for a 1" bore engine. I'm trying to challenge myself to find design solutions that might meet an aesthetic, even if the end result won't look as was originally intended.
View attachment 145017
Well I thimpfks that is pretty good. Put another wheel on the front and see what it looks like. You have a fork there.

More dam snow I went out at 10 PM. Local and did pre shoveling so there wasn’t so much today. It was wet slushy so I was able to push a lot out into the street . Then early there only a little to finish up same thing used into street let the plow take the heavy crap . Wd 40 sprayed shovel so the junk doesn’t stick to it more due tonight but I’ll wait up again and go out if I have to

To all of youse that are hiding inside your warm houses in the cold weather: Eat your hearts out--it is now good weather here in the Philippines. Unbearably HOT. and the hot weather hasn't even got here yet. I got some simple projects done here including the roof for the back porch. It isn't the best looking but nobody ever sees it anyway. and it adds a nice bit of cool (relatively speaking) to the place. A few small improvements more then work on the lumber mill again. Next week I have to go to Baguio -- the so called 'cool' province in the Phils. It's in the mountains, that's why. I don't really want to go, but to satisfy the Missus. It might be interesting. I wish I had a good camera, just have the telephone camera.

Oh, this is just TERRIBLE (he he), the weather is just too nice.

And just for you, Bentwings, the wind HERE is very much appreciated!

I remember spending a summer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, back in the 1960s when the family went along with my dad as he attended summer school at LSU. It was warm and humid when we got up in the morning and got warmer and stickier all day. As a 15 year old from Wisconsin, I was miserable all summer. It was before air conditioning was widespread so there wasn't much relief. Ice cream melted before you got it back from the grocery store, and chocolate bars softened sitting on the counter.
Although I complain about the cold and snow, I realize it could be worse. It makes you appreciate the seasons.

It’s a blustery day so I may for go afternoon walk . North wind 15-20 mph .
More snow at least it above freezing I’m going to leave it until noon then I’ll just have slush to push out in the street let the plow take care of it . We are supposed to get 3-4” sat night I’m tired of snow . What little remains in the yard is solid ice

More snow at least it above freezing I’m going to leave it until noon then I’ll just have slush to push out in the street let the plow take care of it . We are supposed to get 3-4” sat night I’m tired of snow . What little remains in the yard is solid ice
Oh the pain of it all, won't that cold weather ever stop? I won't be coming home till it warms up and that might be a couple more years at the rate yhou describe.

Just make sure that when the knee is all the way down it won't foul the X& Y cables, I glued a stir stick on the bottom of the Z scale to prevent the cables from getting under the scale. Looks good.
I’m probably going to get myself in trouble but this forum seems to have turned into the Weather Channel with everyone looking out the window to see if it’s snowing. This is the time to be working on some project. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Zeb
I feel strongly both ways...as in I was working on resetting my engraver's apprenticeship plate for additional gilding and engraving practive. The copper inlay in the corner there was my first attempt. I hope to add some scrolls and inlays to engines I make in the future when there's more time. The garbage and toys my kids threw around the yard have been nicely hidden by a beautiful fresh coat of snow. I think that's a blue tie down strap (tools) they played with in the background. 😬

GraverBowl2.jpg
@Richard Hed we are headed for a trip to Spokanistan and the weather looks terrible indeed. March should go out like a lamb soon.

I feel strongly both ways...as in I was working on resetting my engraver's apprenticeship plate for additional gilding and engraving practive. The copper inlay in the corner there was my first attempt. I hope to add some scrolls and inlays to engines I make in the future when there's more time. The garbage and toys my kids threw around the yard have been nicely hidden by a beautiful fresh coat of snow. I think that's a blue tie down strap (tools) they played with in the background. 😬

View attachment 145148
@Richard Hed we are headed for a trip to Spokanistan and the weather looks terrible indeed. March should go out like a lamb soon.
Glad I'm not there to endure the cold, however, I do, indeed, miss being able to work in my shop. I still have a last few bits of brazing to complete there before I can re-assemble the mill. Would dearly like to meet in Spokanistan. How often do you visit Spokanistan? I only usually go there once maybe twice a year. Usually visit Costco and Alcobra Metals.

I’m probably going to get myself in trouble but this forum seems to have turned into the Weather Channel with everyone looking out the window to see if it’s snowing. This is the time to be working on some project. Just my opinion.
I understand completely. Here in the nice warm (hot) Philippines I am accomplishing much, but relatively small things. This coming week (we are a day ahead of US because of international date line) I will be working on a push type lumber mill as I have a few tons of logs to slice up from a storm of last year.

Made a couple more pens for coworkers. One in cocobolo, the other in basswood, dyed orange as he is a Syracuse basketball fan.

Completely frustrated I have three sets of small metric taps three sets of small metric socket head cap screws and a metric plus SAE wire number drill sets. . Also several conversion charts or cards so I should be all ready for doing small metric stuff . WRONG I carefully drilled the size hole needed or specified on cards then tap has no chance of even starting so I applied the percent note earlier posted . Still no go so I just started drilling successive drill sizes untill I got a hole big enough to start the tap then for good measure I drilled a metric through hole in a thicker aluminum plate for a tap guide clamping the two plates together I was able to tap the test hole. Then I thought great now I’ll just select a proper length screw . Problem solved LOLOL not a single screw fits correctly being aluminum I could have simply forced a tight screw in but that wasn’t what I wanted I’ve got about a dozen holes to drill and tap and I don’t feel like forcing screws in when they should just screw in proper . The thread is supposed to be m 3.5 but none of the taps are even close to this it’s like the threading coarse thread screw into fine thread hole not even the same size marked on the taps works out . I’m ready to throw all this metric crap in the recycle bin and just use SAE wire sizes that I’m used to for models my little steam turbines are supposed to be metric but the mount holes are something else they drill out easy enough but I should not have to do this Then the little generator dynamos gave another size I can drill them out too but it’s all junk I’m really frustrated . I spent all day screwing around with screws that don’t work. No wonder I hate metrics I even have a number of driver sets covering the entire range of screws I have. I went and measured all the taps in the sets I have and none match the markings etched on them . Then I spent another hour looking for SAE small taps on Amazon but I couldn’t find any I know the hobby shop has exactly what I need so I’ll call him tomorrow I even have a small metric tap set from him but it’s different than my other ones. It’s just a big mess Oh yes I got a new transfer punch set one punch I needed has som stick crap in the hole and I had to use a pliers to pull the punch out , of course it’s a small one 1/8” easily damaged so now I have to dump all them out to drill out what ever is in the hole but that’s tomorrow project more snow expected tonight.
Oh the pain of it all, won't that cold weather ever stop? I won't be coming home till it warms up and that might be a couple more years at the rate yhou describe.

Already went out and shoveled snow . Already 3 more inches ready to be shoveled I’ll go out in a few minutes but it’s still coming down stuck wet stuff. This stuff sticks like glue to un treasured shovels I’ve used almost a full large can of wd40 just in the shovel the broom is just an impediment I dot even spray it any more it’s like a pusher now. Fortunately it’s not too cold but it’s very slippery. I have to use the shovel for a scoop then rebalance. The last thing I need is to fall in this stuff .

Already went out and shoveled snow . Already 3 more inches ready to be shoveled I’ll go out in a few minutes but it’s still coming down stuck wet stuff. This stuff sticks like glue to un treasured shovels I’ve used almost a full large can of wd40 just in the shovel the broom is just an impediment I dot even spray it any more it’s like a pusher now. Fortunately it’s not too cold but it’s very slippery. I have to use the shovel for a scoop then rebalance. The last thing I need is to fall in this stuff .
I painted the pan of one of my metal shovels. It's hard to keep snow on it but it doesn't stick.

More snow at least it not rear end freezing outside I went out again at around 10 PM and shoveled what was there it came down wet and froze so it’s very slippery out now . It will barely be above freezing today so maybe it will melt a little 3-4” forecast for tonight

Latest posts

Back