What have you been doing today?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lee. My Dad would have said, "Well m'dear. Darn my picters! How d'you get from Camborne to Truro on Wednesday? Leave on Tuesday's train, o'course! Av a dish o tay, n a scone n cream n don't be worried by such a thing.. It don' madder."
Sorry I can't do his Fal estuary accent.
K2

That sounds just like my mate Dave. He's a singer and I persuaded him to include Cornish songs in his act. He mainly sings to people from different parts of the UK on holiday. They love hearing him sing Cornish songs which he will sing partly in English and partly Cornish. He speaks Cornish, and as much as I would like to learn, I haven't got the ear for another language.

I looked at old photos of c. 1900 for the first ELECTRIC lamps in this area, and based my 6" lamp on that scheme. They came in with the electric trams.
View attachment 139093

Certainly an interesting light and history

I’m looking for the very boring stark naked highway lights they often are tall pole curved atvthe top with a long half round light shield. These are usually mounted on break away mounts you often see crumpled up ones in th ditch that a truck may have hit . So far I’m thinking of making an arch from 1/2” copper tube then use a copper 90 deg elbow for the top bend and a half round slice of tube for the light portion . Maybe lined with shinny alum foil or oil shed stainless steel. I’ll make a prototype first and get it working before a final . I’ve thought of modeling one in solid works snd having a few 3 d printed in plastic .

The lamp heads have changed with technology, and the cast iron lamp poles have been replaced with steel tubes in some cases, but the rare cast iron "top bracket" is still visible in odd places.
View attachment 139082
View attachment 139083
The early 1900s didn't appear to convert old gas lamps in the UK, that may be a weird, non-historic idea as far as I can see, as the electric utilities wanted to show they were completely different to gas lighting and had bigger, brighter lamps. Also, gas lamps were much lower power, so were smaller lights, needed a hole in the bottom for the lamp lighter to poke his flame up inside the usually Square-ish (Victorian) lantern.
View attachment 139090
View attachment 139089
View attachment 139088

So the Electric utilities had Big glass globes on much higher poles, as the first lamps had big bulbs, quite big lights, and were expensive so only installed in the town centre where there were shops and people would see how rich the council was to have these new big lights...

View attachment 139087
View attachment 139086
View attachment 139084

My house (Built in 1908) was built with gas lamps, and converted to electric when the later power station was built and power distributed to the richer homes - maybe after WW1? 1920s? some of that wiring can still be found in the dark spaces of the house. (Not used though).
K2

Today I thought I would have a day off from gardening. It has taken me about four months to clear the garden of weeds and get it looking OK. So instead I made a core from sand and sodium silicate cured with CO2. It worked OK and I might use it to cast a part. At midday-ish I couldn't stand seeing all that sunshine without taking advantage, so I went out and carried on clearing my brick drive of weeds. The brambles are quite rampant in the front garden, so I cleared some of the bigger branches away from the road, and also ate many blackberries! Later I decided to try a 3D print on my new resin printer. It failed completely, nothing stuck to the platform. I am struggling to figure out why the prints fail. After cleaning the resin tray I created another file and tried again. This time it did stick to the platform, but the print was not well defined. I have now ordered some new resin by one of the big manufacturers instead of the brand sold by the printer dealer. I have also ordered some replacement FEP films and resin filters. This is becoming an expensive experiment!

Today I thought I would have a day off from gardening. It has taken me about four months to clear the garden of weeds and get it looking OK. So instead I made a core from sand and sodium silicate cured with CO2. It worked OK and I might use it to cast a part. At midday-ish I couldn't stand seeing all that sunshine without taking advantage, so I went out and carried on clearing my brick drive of weeds. The brambles are quite rampant in the front garden, so I cleared some of the bigger branches away from the road, and also ate many blackberries! Later I decided to try a 3D print on my new resin printer. It failed completely, nothing stuck to the platform. I am struggling to figure out why the prints fail. After cleaning the resin tray I created another file and tried again. This time it did stick to the platform, but the print was not well defined. I have now ordered some new resin by one of the big manufacturers instead of the brand sold by the printer dealer. I have also ordered some replacement FEP films and resin filters. This is becoming an expensive experiment!
I received my Amazon stuff at 10:30 pm last night so other than open the package and check for right parts this time that was yesterday . To day I had my sister to deal with. Her shoulder injury is really goingvto impact what she can do . I’m trying to stay out of the way on the side lines. I’m creating quick disconnects with much more flexible hose I think I now have every thing I needed. I’m goingvto blunt a couple cup pint set screws for temporary operation . I’m not quite done with the redesign of the eccentric hub . I also need to make spacer blocks for when I reverse the eccentric orientation . This is stage new design has room on the shaft . If it looks like it will work I may make a wood model just to test . I got some socket head screws that are the same thread size these look like they may clear the base casting I’m goingvto turn down a couple socket head screws just to see if this helps clearance. These will be much stronger in the hex part of the screw end . So I won’t have to worry about splitting a set screw. My sister hubby brought a few needed groceries to day so I have dinner . It’s rained all day today not warm either. Blasted nose bleeds persist the hospital said my nose skin inside is very thin so I have to be extra careful blowing my nose they said just the increase in temp from hot drinks like coffee can damage it untill it heals .

Byron, I hear conflicting opinions about coffee. Can you cut down on the hot drinks? Perhaps drink more bottled water, or use a water filter.

Byron, I hear conflicting opinions about coffee. Can you cut down on the hot drinks? Perhaps drink more bottled water, or use a water filter.
Coffee is my staple beverage yes you can cut back but don’t forget it is mostly water and you need lots of water on hot days. Subbing sweet iced tea just adds a lot of calories. Coffee does no unless you sugar and milk or cream it . Plain mild a hot regardless of outside temp is my favorite. I can turn it off anytime. . Sometimes run out so I’m forced to. I sub water for orange juice and medications but some meds work better with orange juice. I can’t tell any difference . Have fresh hot coffee sitting right here

Coffee is my staple beverage yes you can cut back but don’t forget it is mostly water and you need lots of water on hot days. Subbing sweet iced tea just adds a lot of calories. Coffee does no unless you sugar and milk or cream it . Plain mild a hot regardless of outside temp is my favorite. I can turn it off anytime. . Sometimes run out so I’m forced to. I sub water for orange juice and medications but some meds work better with orange juice. I can’t tell any difference . Have fresh hot coffee sitting right here

Right now I’m playing erector set trying different length set screws sanding and rounding off the cup point so they don’t dig into crank shaft again. I’ve come up with another way to clamp the eccentrics . It’s more difficult to machine but I think I may have half a dozen 3 d printed and use heli oil inserts . Basically it’s a washer with a double split clamp built in . It will replace an existing “washer and set screw .

Well today I finished up the police car. I did the last few things this morning like get a drive belt, finish up the exhaust pipes. Went for some shake down rides to shake out the problems. Fixed a few issues like brake trouble and a sloppy chain. It's running really good and is ready for granddaughter duty.

When I bought the car it came with an electric start briggs stratton 5hp so I always had the idea that it would have a battery. Well I got a little carried away and now it has a kill switch, push button start, working head lights, tail lights, brake lights, emergency flashers, and a siren.

Attachments

• 20220809_081929.jpg
    20220809_081929.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220809_081912.jpg
    20220809_081912.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
Ok, I’m currently getting ready for another attempt at making these two engines running again . I’ve searched a number of places regarding setting timing on piston ported steamers I’m running compressed air.. the piston valves are operated by eccentric . So first I’ve established TDC of each the two cylinders . Then by rotating the eccentric the piston valve moves in the steam chest .. now the actual port is about 1/8” diameter hole into the cylinder above the piston slightly . On steam this allows the hot steam to expand increasing power . I’m sacrificing this by running air. It also allows the slight cushion as the piston approaches TDC that reduces knocking, I guess . It doesn’t take long to see that the hole opening vs piston position can vary very fast The same situation happens at BDC There is a very small “ lap” but it’s hard to even measure. So I’m setting the piston valves at some depth down the piston valve bore I can measure this pretty easily so I can set each cyl the same
Depth as timing . Then apply compressed air to the intake port this should run I think . I did this originally and turned the eccentrics untill the engine ran . It ran very smooth until the nut that hold the power piston came off and locked up the enginge. This caused everything that was set screw mounted to slip. Making a mess out of the crankshafts . There is no diagram or discussion in the assembly instructions only one picture that essentially says set the eccentrics as shown in the picture . Well its difficult
Enough to see the orientation and trying to kinda scale it doesn’t work. As it turned out I set it up as I noted then just applied light air pressure untill it started running . It ran smooth then clunk it stopped . It was only going maybe 3-400 rpm so not fast at all . I have two brass flywheels and of course I had the heavier one on the crank atvtge time . Fortunately , maybe I didn’t have the set screws cranked down hard . The flywheel has four of them so it messed things up but good. No real damage to the piston or connecting rod . I’ve got one engine back together now with the modified shaft collars . I have to make steam chest spacers then I’ll be able to reverse the eccentrics so I can lock them down . I’ll make one gentle test as it is to prove out the timing. I can easily adjust this then measure the depth of the piston port cylinder . If it runs I’ll stop and take pictures . I’m working on a redesign of the eccentric so they will have a clamp type mount . Then I’ll be more able to experiment with the timing . There appears to be some “ lap” like slide valves . The Ports are so small it’s hard to believe it even will run as it is. It does turn over smoothly however .
well I spent the better part of the afternoon attempting to return a couple of hex Allen driver bits that have incorrect 1.5 mm size . I received an email from the supplier saying to try the 5/64 size . Well I long since tried this it’s whybinordered the metric set so I would have the correct size I have a single hex bent tool that fits perfectly . It’s just very awkward to use scrounging around I finally found a tee hex tool that fits . I measured all ofvthe tools the new driver 1.5mm would have slid right through if a hole had been in the screw . Two sets plus a third I got some time ago it was the main reason I wanted a new set as the 2.5mm was missing . I send a real complaint note on their survey . I hate to buy a snap on set as they are grossly over priced . I even tried replacing the screw with a socket head cap screw but the head interferes with the engine casting . I could grind a notch but I’d rather not mess up the casting appearance . I had the same issue either imperial screws a long time ago I thought maybe the group of screws had a mfg defect so I laid out one of each size and tested them then went back and checked all of some of the sizes . It’s not the screws just measuring the tool tells the story when comparing to the working tool . I’m looking for a different brand now . Why do the small things give such pain in the rear end?

What I did yesterday - reduced the Walnut tree stump to ground level. Used a new battery chain saw I bought (discounted)... Not cheap, but for the limited work I can get out of my body I don't need an "8-hour tool".
P8012443.JPG

P8112460.JPG

P8112461.JPG

P8112462.JPG

Today I figure out how to move something that heavy to where it can dry out for a while!
K2

I think if I had large amounts of tree trunk like that I would be looking at some way of turning them into a garden feature. My imagination hasn't come up with "what sort of feature?".

I sometimes see mobile artistes camped in lay-bys using a chain saw to carve tree trunks into a shape. I bet you could carve a chunk of yours into an eagle. Maybe start with a sparrow?

Made a 5" diameter V-clamp to replace 4 small sheet metal screws that hold the end cap onto my forced air burner. I've been tinkering with the burner quite a bit, assembling and disassembling repeatedly, and the single V-clamp makes that process much, much easier than fiddling with 4 tiny screws. As an added bonus, the connection fit is now much stronger & tighter. The aluminum clamping ring came from the metal tubes used on old TV antennas. I first bent the straight tube into a ring, then slit the tube down it's centerline and opened the round tube into a "U" shape. Braze a couple chunks of aluminum to each end,...drill and tap for a 4mm screw,...and done !

5 inch V-Clamp.jpgWIN_20220812_12_11_07_Pro.jpgWIN_20220812_12_15_06_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Lee, I think a Chicken would be more appropriate for me? But I "wooden" know where to start. I may get all carved-up if it went wrong, or it looked good and then I slipped and chopped the head off, or something! So I'll stick the making swarf from metal, by machine, instead.
K2

Latest posts

Back