What have you been doing today?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today would be considered boring . I’ve got a piece of Emory paper tape kitchen table as it’s acrelativelybflatvdurface. Then I put some duct tape on my sanding block so the sticky side out I stuck about a dozen copper washers to the block that I want to use these need about .002” removed. So I’m now swishing this around to remove stock . I’ve got a dozen steel washers the same size that need de burring so they are next. It’s Mickey Mouse but I need the spacers it’s rained all day gage says one inch so my stain the deck project is on hold for a week at least . Our lathe is down or this could have been done in a few minutes just cut the right size spacer to start with .

Today I’m sitting here eating forvthe nurse practitioner to call about a week and a half ago she removed a blood pressure medication as it was thought not necessary . Well it was added a couple years ago as I was having severe nose bleeds lasting for days I even hadvtobgobtobyhevhospital ER to get one stopped. Well now I’m back to daily nose bleeds again . Even chewing can cause one to start as can just getting up too fast from my chair I don’t dare lift anything heavy and just going for a walk and gently blowing my nose can get it started . I have a nose bleed kit sittingbonnyhevtsble right in front of me . It’s really a PIA I sat down to work on my little steamer last night just something easy and I had a mess . I called the health services yesterday and again today but I have not heard back from the provider yet . I just got the free covidctestscthatcwerecdupposedcto be sent out by Biden’s experts over 6 months ago. Big deal . They have acthingvyoubsre supposed to jamb in your nose. Yeah well I can tell you that ain’t going to happen untill this mess gets fixed then I may think about it I’ve already be to the clinic 3 times and in crowds of people a couple times, and I don’t have any virus symptoms . Nose bleeds are not one of them except if you jamb that stick in your nose . I’m going aue naturale I may have natural immunity as I just don’t get sick . Edit . There was a researcher on tv a couple nights ago and he said Edit is wrong all these vac s have done is weaken immune systems. The new super contagious one is out now too. There have been numerous issues with multi vac s some even dying .

I’ll be more likely to die from bleeding out from nose bleeds now. The said as I’ve been saying for a long time many of us went through polio chicken pox measles fifthrria small pox and a host of other diseases we or some got as kids . Vaccines for all of these took years to develope the COVID vax is what a year and a half old now. There are lots of questions about its effectiveness. Another thing this guy said the number of people who died in hospitals is way over exaggerated So it appears there is a lot of misinformation being fed to us . Now there is monkey pox , supposed it be very non contagious. Is almost like the word” truth” has been deleted from English language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I’m sitting here eating forvthe nurse practitioner to call about a week and a half ago she removed a blood pressure medication as it was thought not necessary . Well it was added a couple years ago as I was having severe nose bleeds lasting for days I even hadvtobgobtobyhevhospital ER to get one stopped. Well now I’m back to daily nose bleeds again . Ok guys I’m back now get this . Don’t get injured in the shop. The local supposedly emergency center won’t care for you. Got a busted arm . Too bad. It’s a ambulance trip to some hospital hopefully not down town . They want me to go down town st. PST. Paul right where all the riots were . I told the clinic I’m not going down town. I’m not looking for trouble , I’m not carrying my gun . I’ll have my cane master defensive cane but I’m looking to get fixed up not beat up or shot at . I’m not interested in anything down town. Then since I’m not supposed to drive, how do I get back home . I can call Uber or taxi. But I’m probably looking at $100 trip. I though ER took care of emergency injuries. In my younger days I got high sticked in a hockey game ripped my eyebrow almost off . I wrapped a towel around my head and drove to local ER AND GOT SEWED UP THEN DROVE BACK AND FINISHED THE GAME I tell you how many times I’ve had sports injuries and got fixed up . If I got my eye brow upped like that today I’d probably be looking at a week in the hospital . So what ever you do be careful , you won’t get quick care but a $ 2400 trip in the ambulance that hopefully your insurance will cover . The closest hospital is 20-30 miles from me just for a nose bleed I guess I’m just goingvto have to endure this plastic nose clamp all day for a few days untill the home care service figures what has happened. Heck the veterinarian is walking distance . Maybe there would be advantage in having big beard. I don’t have much hair left but there are nearly hairless dogs . I can still yell and bark pretty well so maybe a disguise . I saw an angry cat mask and barking German Shepherd mask so they might be able to fix me My kitty purred forvthe first time today . I’ll let my fingernails grow so I have claws .

Ok guys get this… what ever you do do not get hurchewing can cause oneto start as can just getting up too fast from my chair I don’t dare lift anything heavy and just going for a walk and gently blowing my nose can get it started . I have a nose bleed kit sittingbonnyhevtsble right in front of me . It’s really a PIA I sat down to work on my little steamer last night just something easy and I had a mess . I called the health services yesterday and again today but I have not heard back from the provider yet . I just got the free covidctestscthatcwerecdupposedcto be sent out by Biden’s experts over 6 months ago. Big deal . They have acthingvyoubsre supposed to jamb in your nose. Yeah well I can tell you that ain’t going to happen untill this mess gets fixed then I may think about it I’ve already be to the clinic 3 times and in crowds of people a couple times, and I don’t have any virus symptoms . Nose bleeds are not one of them except if you jamb that stick in your nose . I’m going aue naturale I may have natural immunity as I just don’t get sick . Edit . There was a researcher on tv a couple nights ago and he said Edit is wrong all these vac s have done is weaken immune systems. The new super contagious one is out now too. There have been numerous issues with multi vac s some even dying .

I’ll be more likely to die from bleeding out from nose bleeds now. The said as I’ve been saying for a long time many of us went through polio chicken pox measles fifthrria small pox and a host of other diseases we or some got as kids . Vaccines for all of these took years to develope the COVID vax is what a year and a half old now. There are lots of questions about its effectiveness. Another thing this guy said the number of people who died in hospitals is way over exaggerated So it appears there is a lot of misinformation being fed to us . Now there is monkey pox , supposed it be very non contagious. Is almost like the word” truth” has been deleted from English language.
Today I’m sitting here eating forvthe nurse practitioner to call about a week and a half ago she removed a blood pressure medication as it was thought not necessary . Well it was added a couple years ago as I was having severe nose bleeds lasting for days I

Once again waiting for the nurse to call
I woke up this morning in a blood bath . I had taken a nice showers befor bed Tim. I was still a little damp so I just laid back on the towel and used my sports blanket . So I wake up and I feel like runny nose OMGOSH . My nice and favorite bath towel normally white is totally red . I’ve got blood running down my neck and I can taste it . . The towel is soaked I feel around to see if I’ve been shot . I smeared some around getting up grab another towel and head forcthe bathroom look in the mirror and I looks like I’ve been brawling blood everywhere hair face mech yikes I finally got cleaned up but nose is pouring blood . I’ve had nose bashes in sports before so nothing new but waking up soaked is a new one so I called health care and the nurse called back with suggestions . I’ve reverted back to about 5?years ago . She has removed a med I was taking . I did look it up and turns out that sudden adding or removing it can cause nose bleeds as well as other more serious bleeding. So we talked a while and I ran around gathering my emergency kit . I’ve managed to get it stopped but I may have to go to walk in ER and have the inside of my nose cauterized never had that done so it sounds very unpleasant . It’s stopped for now but very delicate situation. The interior of nose is very thin and the healing is difficult the slightest irritation can break skin blood vessels are very close to the surface and delicate I guess I’m unusual . I’ve survived a number of broken nose and nose bashes in football baseball and hockey I even did a good one in the swimming pool as a kid. So I’m just sitting here waiting to see what’s next I’m not going down town to the hospital there are too many shootings and crime there and I really don’t feel like battling over a bloody nose . It would just be a target anyway . . I ordered some Med things to help I hope . But I won’t get them untill tomorrow . The nose clamps get painful after a while but do work I’ve got about 90 of them they came as a box of 100.
even hadvtobgobtobyhevhospital ER to get one stopped. Well now I’m back to daily nose bleeds again . Even chewing can cause one to start as can just getting up too fast from my chair I don’t dare lift anything heavy and just going for a walk and gently blowing my nose can get it started . I have a nose bleed kit sittingbonnyhevtsble right in front of me . It’s really a PIA I sat down to work on my little steamer last night just something easy and I had a mess . I called the health services yesterday and again today but I have not heard back from the provider yet . I just got the free covidctestscthatcwerecdupposedcto be sent out by Biden’s experts over 6 months ago. Big deal . They have acthingvyoubsre supposed to jamb in your nose. Yeah well I can tell you that ain’t going to happen untill this mess gets fixed then I may think about it I’ve already be to the clinic 3 times and in crowds of people a couple times, and I don’t have any virus symptoms . Nose bleeds are not one of them except if you jamb that stick in your nose . I’m going aue naturale I may have natural immunity as I just don’t get sick . Edit . There was a researcher on tv a couple nights ago and he said Edit is wrong all these vac s have done is weaken immune systems. The new super contagious one is out now too. There have been numerous issues with multi vac s some even dying .

Bentwings, (interesting name!)
I am sorry your health is slowing down the enjoyment of our hobby. Good luck with a 3D printer. I now have two, my old Ender3 and a new resin printer, the Anycubic mono 4k. I haven't used it yet, but I hope to post an update soon.
I am still unsure about covid. I think I may have caught it twice. Once when it first hit us about two and a half years ago, and again several weeks back. The first time it took about six months before I started to feel better but not as fit as I was before. The second time only hit me for about three days, so it might not have been covid, but a friend I had spent the previous day with phoned me to say she had gone down with covid and was phoning to say she might have given it to me. I have had both jabs plus the booster, and at the age of sixty nine I can honestly say I feel as fit as I did forty years ago, and I weigh less! My general health improved about eight years ago when I went on a diet and lost nearly six stones, thats about 84 pounds in old money. Loosing the weight was easy, keeping it off is a struggle.

Bentwings, (interesting name!)
I am sorry your health is slowing down the enjoyment of our hobby. Good luck with a 3D printer. I now have two, my old Ender3 and a new resin printer, the Anycubic mono 4k. I haven't used it yet, but I hope to post an update soon.
I am still unsure about covid. I think I may have caught it twice. Once when it first hit us about two and a half years ago, and again several weeks back. The first time it took about six months before I started to feel better but not as fit as I was before. The second time only hit me for about three days, so it might not have been covid, but a friend I had spent the previous day with phoned me to say she had gone down with covid and was phoning to say she might have given it to me. I have had both jabs plus the booster, and at the age of sixty nine I can honestly say I feel as fit as I did forty years ago, and I weigh less! My general health improved about eight years ago when I went on a diet and lost nearly six stones, thats about 84 pounds in old money. Loosing the weight was easy, keeping it off is a struggle.
I have to update just a little. Had to go to hospital ERyesterday. Through a number of phone calls I finally got free transportation. The car picked me up and away we went . right I don’t know where these drivers learn to drive but trips are always exciting . We were going 70 mph in 45 zone passing everything I was looking forward and saw a car signaling left turn it was in the correct lane. My driver goes and passes on the right in a marked no passing zone , and through the intersection . I know the road quite well. Anyway the highway patrol was sitting right atvthe intersection . I saw him. Sitting there well about 25 sec later I hear the siren so the driver slows and stops . The cop comes walking up and politely asks for license . My driver hands it over and the cop takes it , he has his hand on his sidearm . So he does his check and comes back he explains why he stopped us very politely then says well I’m giving you a break today with just a warning . But the driver can’t keep his mouth shut and starts to argue about hit . Hesays he was just going around a slower car. And mor. I was sliding down in the seat. I didn’t know if there was going to be gun fire or what . The cop finally told him to get moving . Then we are going down the road and about half a mile the driver steps on it again . There is a roundabout ahead . It was going into turn one at NASCAR race. It was a 4 wheel drift all the way around . I was glad to just get out at the hospital . The trip back in the return car was another high speed race . I was so glad to get out at home . I thanked the guy but I couldn’t move fast enough to get inside . I’m glad I didn’t have to haveBP and pulse rating again . What a day ! They were supposed to cauterize my nose but they don’t have equipment or doctor for that . And it an ER As I noted. Don’t get hurt in your shop I counted 21 people at the clinic. I wonder how many either had or being tested for COVID . I’ve maintained for a long time that I get more potential exposure at the clinic than I do at the few gatherings of people I go to

Through a number of phone calls I finally got free transportation.
Nothing is ever free. Somewhere along the way it costs you something.

Never underestimate the power of the word free. When I lived on a busy road I would pile junk and total crap by the road with a sign that said "FREE" People took everything within a day or two.

Mark T

Last edited:
dnalot. I did the same when I removed some really poor turf from the front garden, an area about 30 feet by 10. To take it to a recycling yard would be a 25 min drive each way, and then pay for the privalage of dumping it with them. Instead, I piled it up by the curb and put a sign on it "free turf" it was all gone in less than 2 hours! It was awfull stuff. Still, "never mind the quality, feel the width".

Bentwings. Wow! What a journey! Glad you survived. We have a patient transport system here in the UK. Seveal friends have used it and found it to be unreliable. Lucky for me I can drive to the park and ride near the hospital and take a bus into the hospital grounds. When I drove to the park and ride several weeks ago there were dozens of people waiting to catch a bus, it was quite early in the morning, rush hour for the office and shop workers. I didn't have the time to join them so I drove to the hospital and paid to park. It was for an MRI, so I was there for about an hour. Half an hour of that was spent in the machine itself. I don't need another MRI for three years thank goodness.

Last night, we had a really strong thunderstorm. Well, for here anyway. They reported 2.3" of rain.
The problem for us though was that our cable modem got fried, and the surge protector didn't blow, so I think it came in through the co-ax.
So today I went and got a new one, very easy to replace, but then it says "download our app to activate your modem" really. That would work if we had cell service here, but I only get that with Wi-Fi. So, 40 minutes on the phone (landline) with someone from our ISP and we're back in business.
But I really wanted to tell you about these guys
IMG_2722.JPG
Early in the spring, I put up a Bluebird nestbox. this is actually the second brood for this summer.
and I think it is a different pair than the first one. I hadn't seen a lot of activity around the box in the first half of July, but thought I'd check.
IMG_2683.JPG Found these on 7/19
IMG_2685.JPG and these on 7/22
I'm fairly sure this is a different pair, because usually bluebird eggs are blue. These were definitely white, and the first batch was blue.
I've read that 4-5% of bluebirds lay white eggs. The top picture is today, and within a couple of weeks they will fly off.
So other than continuing to paint and assemble the 25 HP Nash, that's what I did today.
Thanks for looking,
Doug

I needed to get a few CCs of 20 weight motor oil through a 5mm threaded hole. My solution was to use a 10cc plastic syringe and the plastic tube from a can of WD40. I needed to drill out the syringe just a tiny bit to allow the red plastic "needle" to be jammed in. Works well and didn't cost me anything as I already had the syringe in my box of spare parts.
1659150967879.png

That's how I fill the radiator with anti-corrosion fluid after a service! - SHut both radiator valves, remove bleed screw, Insert WD40 tube and pump away! - But better still, I have found I can use the pump from the Squirty bottle from the kitchen worktop spray bottle, after all the caustic has been used up and a good rinse. Useful things, cans of WD40...
K2

Oh, and I have made a brake fluid extraction device using another Squirty bottle trigger pump... so I just put a rubber hose onto the bleed nipple, slacken the bleed nipple, pump fluid into a jar until the clean stuff comes through, then close the bleed nipple.
The Brake fluid is Hygroscopic (Absorbs moisture from the air) so I have a $10 device that tells me when it is "wet" (about 5 years in the system) and so change it then.
K2

We have a patient transport system here in the UK.
I didn't have the time to join them so I drove to the hospital and paid to park.
To be clear, charging for hospital parking doesn't apply to the whole of the UK - it's free in Wales and (I think) Scotland. Just as well considering how often I (in Wales) seem to be visiting them these days...

I'm half Welsh, perhaps I could get a partial refund?
Today is. Very bad day. My sister walks miles every to stay healthy. Today for some reason she took a shortcut down an alley in the down town area . She knows it well as she and friend do that often . Well today she tripped and fell on her shoulder. Bad enough to fall but beingvwoman in her 70’s they aren’t like former rough and tough guys like me. She didn’t do the football roll and landed on her shoulder. Women bones are much more fragile . Well it busted the ball off the shoulder bone. I’ll have to look it up later. She managed to get up and staggered in to the back ofvthe restraint where a couple people helped her get home then hubby took her to hospital some 30 miles away . She is all bandaged up but very nauseous and full of pain . She has to go to specialist next week . I feel so bad for her she was leaving on vacation tomorrow . She normally comes up to my place Sunday mornings and fills my medication boxes and brings a few groceries if I need anything . I’m ok as I have plenty of food . I can walk up tinge gsss station if I need milk . But I’m ok . Then last night I was coming in from my little walk and I tripped on the entry steps. I did the roll on the way down and landed more or less flat on my belly. There is not much there so I didn’t bounce but I dropped the mail all over fortunately most was trash anyway . It just goes to show that bad things can happen quickly . We had talked about falling down and what can happen and what kind of pain this stuff brings to old people I have a fall monitor but surprisingly it did not go off as I had spread the impact over a large area so it didn’t get bumped . I had already Ben to the ER earlier so I didn’t need another trip her friend that she normally walks with had headed for her home atvthe start ofvthe shortcut which is what thrybusually do her friends mother fell last winter and did not survive. I can do my medication boxes as I ave a full one I can copy plus we have a list.
I just hope she is ok . It broke the ball completely off the bone so that’s very serious. I’m stuck here with no wheels to help either. We don’t have any other relatives near by either . She will call or her hubby will call tomorrow. She has appointment with specialist next week .

As I noted previously don’t get hurt as the ER can’t do much for you.

Byron

My sister walks to stay healthy.... tripped and fell on her shoulder.... busted the ball off the shoulder bone. I’ll have to look it up later.

I think you're talking about her Humerus which is the arm bone which connects to the shoulder and has a ball on each end. My 50-ish wife did the same type of break last month; snapped the ball off the rest of the bone on the smallest of her metatarsals (bones in the foot). The bone your sister broke is much larger.

Unfortunately, women tend to loose calcium from their bones as they get older, making breaks much easier.

Hope she heals quickly.

Like me, most of my friends are getting on a bit. So far this year three have had serious falls, but luckily no breakages, except for me. I was carrying a large bucket with some concrete I had just mixed for the base of some paving slabs when I missed my footing. I stumbled along like someone out of Benny Hill and managed to drop the bucket squarely on the dirt, no spillage! I then carried on for a few yards before falling. I heard and felt a rib crack. When I managed to stand up I realised that I could breath without too much pain, so no lung damage. I knew from past experience it was pointless going to the doctor or hospital. I have had a broken rib before, so I just took it easy for a week or so, apart from finishing the concrete base and laying four 600x600x50 paving slabs digging up several large bags full of weeds.
Please wish your sister well for me Byron. We must look after our sisters, I have three. One came to visit me recently with her husband. After bringing their luggage in and having a cup of tea, they realised they had left all their medication at home, 290 miles away. They drove home to get it and came back the next day. They will come back later in the year to help me with some jobs in the garden I would struggle to do by myself.
My last mishap was very nearly my most embarrasing. I was kneeling by my pond on my home made kneeler, when it tilted in the soft earth throwing me headfirst towards the pond. I managed to put a hand in the pond to stop a dunking, I didn't think it would stop me though as the pond liner is black plastic, I thought I would just slide in. I didn't. All in a split second. Luckily nobody saw me. If my brother in law had been there he would have got his camara to record it before helping me.
Today I will go to B&Q to buy 6 bags of concrete and a bag of cement to build a small retaining wall between my garage and my next door neighbour. It isn't too warm at the moment which is good for concreting. I will go to the local market and car boot first. To look for bargains. I think all this hard work is doing me good!

A third tale. In early May, we went for a "late lunch" with friends. We haven't done that for a couple of years due to one thing and another. Good meal - with wine, good conversation , more wine, more conversation , then beer and wine, conversation then home and a couple of drinks before off-to bed. Well, not being used to drinking (COVID restrictions s on "Being sociable" meant nearly teetotal!) my wife was slightly unbalanced and fell... breaking her hip. Except the "phone hospital" told her it was "probably a strain and it would hurt for a few weeks - Take Paracetamol, it will ease the pain". It didn't But we had a weekend planned in London - to see friends after 2years of "no travel"... So we went and struggled to walk around and find our accommodation (3/4 hour to walk 500 yards...! I knew she was in pain but would not admit it.). We struggled for 3 days, then another week at home before she decided that maybe it wasn't getting better... An x-ray showed the hip ball broken from the thigh bone. 2 days later the replacement part had been fitted. (Like a a ball joint on a car wishbone I think?). May 6th to June 6th on a broken hip. That is "old and stubborn"!
So carry then to the car kicking and screaming if necessary to get the expert to check things are OK. "Old and stubborn" has meant an early undertaker's bill for too many relatives of mine.
Hope you all get better/stay well (delete the inappropriate comment!).
K2

I think you're talking about her Humerus which is the arm bone which connects to the shoulder and has a ball on each end. My 50-ish wife did the same type of break last month; snapped the ball off the rest of the bone on the smallest of her metatarsals (bones in the foot). The bone your sister broke is much larger.

Unfortunately, women tend to loose calcium from their bones as they get older, making breaks much easier.

Hope she heals quickly.
You are correct. I looked up this injury and while not super common many side impact car crashes cause this . My sister is a more delicate type of person rather than the bull that I am or noted for. All athletic practices and training teaches roll with the fall. Surprisingly the same day I tripped on my steps. Rather than catch myself with hands I kinda fell forward. I had a good hold of the hand rail which stabilized me I don’t have much belly fat so I more or less fell flat . I used my cane as lateral roll and kinda piled into the railing . I didn’t even skin my knees or ankles. You are right about women losing calcium in bones. It was noted in the research I did last night . This is a three to six month injury . It’s likely the specialist will uses screws plates otherwise fixing devices to repair. A plastic or metal replacement may be an option too . After next week we will know more . She has a great deal of pain today . Medication may help . She won’t be able to work but may be able tondo some at home . They were planning on vacation starting today. I said first ting Monday apply for unemployment . She is more worried about me filling my med boxes . But there is a nice chart she made a nice chart so I just need to follow it . I’m stuck without wheels so I can’t help her much but her hubby is handy so they will be ok . Things happen unusually and often fast .

Wow! K2, your wife is one tough lady.
I have built a small wall to add a bit of support to the Cornish hedge between me and next door. It was just the bottom corner by my garage that needed doing. No room to actually get in there, yet, but I managed to dig out two barrow fulls of dirt etc before making the shuttering and dropping it into place. I bought six 25kg bags of ballast and used the two I already had to build what I hope will be a sturdy wall of about six inches thick. No cement mixer so I mixed it by hand in a large garden tub, the same tub I was carrying concrete in when I broke a rib. I will give it a couple of days before I remove the shuttering, then I hope I can get down the side of my garage and cut back the undergrowth. There is just enough room if I stand sideways, so I musn't fall over....
Lee

Latest posts

Back