What have you been doing today?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What have you been doing today covers an endless number of things. I picked 12 ripe tomatoes, pulled up 29 onions 3" diameter, picked 41 cucumbers, picked 8 sweet green bell peppers, picked 9 RED color sweet bell peppers. Planted 1 row of potatoes. Pulled up 90 ft long row of green bean plants then picked 20 lbs of green beans from plants. I tilled the green bean row and planted 150 tomato seeds. Time to rest for 20 minutes. I chopped 3 piles of green bean plants into tiny pieces.

ive got one interruption an INR blood test then I’m don for a while I’ll reassemble the steamer make a couple measurement then jump on my SW re re learning

The reports of temperatures are interesting, comparing degrees C and F makes it more so. I'm in Wisconsin, USA, where we get cold winters (can be minus 40 on rare occasions) and summer can get over 100F (38C) and we have reached that a time or two this summer. If you can consider 23C (74F) to be hot, I am envious.
it’s 75 f outside right now on the way to 80+f pretty humid. I got a cool blanket hat works off evaporative cooling just drape it over me if it’s too hot in the house and direr low speed air from fan . It’s gets cool enough to be cold. My kitty just loves it she has her own but likes to share mine . Nlooked st a very smal cnc mill and late unit. But I realy just can’t do chip making in my little hobby bed room also been looking at 3 d printer . While they can be a bit stinky I could live with that . The things can print some good plastics now . Looked at metal printing but can’t afford that yet I could install at my sons shop but it’s 65 miles away so not easy to get to and with terrible gas prices a trip has to be worthwhile . With some internet trickery I could operate it from home and all the boys would need to do is prep the table and take finished parts off for final de bur and cleaning .

Still just a dream I think

Byron
The reports of temperatures are interesting, comparing degrees C and F makes it more so. I'm in Wisconsin, USA, where we get cold winters (can be minus 40 on rare occasions) and summer can get over 100F (38C) and we have reached that a time or two this summer. If you can consider 23C (74F) to be hot, I am envious.

Yesterday Britain had the hottest recorded day: nearly 29 deg. C on my garden... (Shade). But Humidity is the real killer to activity in Britain (Like Florida). 40C in Greece is much easier than 30C here! 50C in Egypt in the Valley of Kings was a cooker when we visited some years ago. So I didn't do so much, just read some magazines on old motorcycles, and did some boiler calculations...
Some days I just get to enjoy washing, ironing, and other "H"... while my missus has been having a replacement ball joint fitted in her upper suspension linkage.... Today my car gets a replacement timing chains and tensioninging kit. £££s! - Then the "H" becomes a Hospital check-up on the medicals after the ball joint was replaced... I'd rather pay (an Expert with a 4 post lift?) for the car than have to DIY that job, and fortunately the ball joint job on my dear lady only cost me £20 for parking fees for the whole job! THANKS to the NHS. >40 years of paying the "NHS Stamp" (tax) has made that a free one for her.
Off to do some more washing... the sun is out - a good drying day! (More steaming and ironing later?- then maybe shredding some branches I pruned a few days ago...?).
Enjoy your days...
K2

Last edited:
Today, like yesterday here in Cornwall (UK), has started cold and overcast. Yesterday morning we had a lot of rain which really helped top up my water butts. I spent 2o mins checking them out and making sure the greenhouse guttering wasn't blocked to get the full benifit of that lovely water. By half ten it was getting very hot indeed. Lets see what today brings.

Lucky you Lee.
I have just had a call from my car dealer saying the noise from the timing chest area is not the timing chain, but the alternator bearing that has decided the Warranty period has expired. So £760 repair becomes £500... The car also needs another £3000 of work to bring it back to new! Should I smile?
K2

Steamchick,
I sympathise with your woes. I have a ten year old Citroen. It is going to get more expensive to repair each year. I am seriously considering selling it and using a 1933 Austin Seven for everyday transport. It is used to a hard life, my friend who owned it before me used it during her teaching years averaging 17,000 miles a year. The car must have at least 500,000 miles under its belt. It doesn't need road tax or MOT, exempt from both. Insurance is less than £200 a year and spares are readily available. It is very tempting! No heater or elec windows or power brakes or steering, do I need 'em?

Starting to cool down here in the UK so I'm back on with finishing the balcony decking.

Attachments

• IMG_9048 (1).jpg
    IMG_9048 (1).jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 0
Steamchick,
I sympathise with your woes. I have a ten year old Citroen. It is going to get more expensive to repair each year. I am seriously considering selling it and using a 1933 Austin Seven for everyday transport. It is used to a hard life, my friend who owned it before me used it during her teaching years averaging 17,000 miles a year. The car must have at least 500,000 miles under its belt. It doesn't need road tax or MOT, exempt from both. Insurance is less than £200 a year and spares are readily available. It is very tempting! No heater or elec windows or power brakes or steering, do I need 'em?
There's a lot to be said for having a beater. Even if it only gets used in reasonably nice weather, the insurance is cheap, any taxes are cheap, and older stuff tends to be reasonably simple to maintain. Our old full size pickup is mud fence ugly, but it's four wheel drive and can tow around 8000 pounds. I smiled when seeing 17,000 miles a year described as a hard life, for a period my commute was almost 200 miles a day.

During a discussion of driving to one of the US model engineering shows distances of 600+ miles were fairly common. An English gent posted that in England 200 miles is considered a long journey, in America people think 200 years is a long time. I think it's fairly true and gives some interesting perspective.

Cheers,
Stan

here un UASA 200 miles a day is not at all unusual many cars especially older classics have 500k on them maybe 2nd or third rebuild all operating costs are pretty cheap gas being the big driver now. Cost per mile of operation is the number to look at once the car is paid for operating cost per mile drops dramatically . Even my one ton dusky diesel costs pennies per mile 6 tires last 100k brakes and chassis maintenance is simple back yard stuff .
Parts are pretty cheap and used parts are easy to find. Biggest issue is rust out . You can get new sheet metal really cheap Door skins and body parts are easily purchased There's a lot to be said for having a beater. Even if it only gets used in reasonably nice weather, the insurance is cheap, any taxes are cheap, and older stuff tends to be reasonably simple to maintain. Our old full size pickup is mud fence ugly, but it's four wheel drive and can tow around 8000 pounds. I smiled when seeing 17,000 miles a year described as a hard life, for a period my commute was almost 200 miles a day.

During a discussion of driving to one of the US model engineering shows distances of 600+ miles were fairly common. An English gent posted that in England 200 miles is considered a long journey, in America people think 200 years is a long time. I think it's fairly true and gives some interesting perspective. The truck is worth more today than when I got it 20 years ago . It can haul any RV on the market now. 20 mpg pulling 15k trailer is easy . I also have a 30 yr old restored el camino that can be a daily driver any time I choose cheap to insure and license no inspection required.

Cheers,
Stan

Stanstocker, I believe I am right in saying that nomatter where you are in the UK, you are no more than 80 miles from the nearest coast. Here in Cornwall a friend used to say that if he stood on his fence post he could see both sides of Cornwall. He might have been joking a bit!

Ran out of Ironing, so went and did a couple of hours shredding tree branches for compost... Next I have a few cwt of soil to lose at the landfill site. And the rest of the 25ft high tree to prune to ground level, more shredding, logging, etc. And gutters to clean, then Ironing, and maybe some modelling sometime? Retirement? More like hard labour some days?
K2

love to sure but not with the 150kg lathe and the 600w motor I'm using! I might be able to push it to 2mm but I suspect the motor will stall beyond that.
Wasn't meaning for you to try it - - -lol - - - just remember the chips from a vtl flying some 6 or 7 m (20 to 25 ft) and piling up.
You could see the chips turning blue in flight!
Kept the young guy that was doing cleanup fairly busy.
Took him almost as long to remove the chips as to cut them - - - lol.

That’s great! Here in the twin cities in the central . USA even from the top of the highest building I don’t think you can see both sides of the he cities . It’s a good 3 hour drive on a good day even on the freeway
Stanstocker, I believe I am right in saying that nomatter where you are in the UK, you are no more than 80 miles from the nearest coast. Here in Cornwall a friend used to say that if he stood on his fence post he could see both sides of Cornwall. He might have been joking a bit!

Latest posts

Back