What have you been doing today?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the snow shoveled out to the street. My shovel handle broke a rivet pulled through . Of course of all the screws I have none are suitable so I had to order some fortunately not expensive I could have fixed it wit pop rivets but that tool is out at my sons shop 65 miles away

That would be fine if I had nails . LOL I CAN Drill MOST ANY HOLE AND INHAVE A NIFTY HAMMER . I found self tapping screws in stainless steel Then of all things I don’t have a good enough Phillips screwdriver do I have some 1/4” hex driver bits coming so it will be an easy fix once I get the parts I could have walked up to o’reileys but there are mountains of snow piled along the highway so not really a safe walk for an old guy with a cane my sister will be home later today but I don’t need to bother her . Not that she would not help . I’m just trying to maintain independence My kitty comforts me all day last night was the first time she curled up on the electric blanket . I’m surprised. Maybe the electric current gives off some high frequency vibrations my dog used to love the electric blanket I even set her up with her own under her dog bed .

It’s been warmer and very windy all day so the snow is disappearing fast.

Ain’t that the truth . I have stuff ordered . Not being able to drive is a real handicap I’m looking at an E bike for the summer those with fat tires actually work quite well in winter So we will see as weather improves.

Just sitting here nursing pulled muscles in my back . What used to be just a play hurt issue is now a very difficult thing . Just moving around is an issue. I changed resting chairs for one I don’t really like but is has a feature that supports near perfect . Unfortunately that’s about all it does . Does not roll on carpet at all unless I get up a move the dang thing . I did get out for an exercise walk yesterday , looks like I can do it again later today . More weather on the way according to nat. Weather .prayers go out to all those in tornado areas. I have to relive and tell the story of being out in northern minnesota nasty winter while hunting . We had receive several feet of snow. I was slogging around in the woods checking for tracks etc when the big sudden urge to do a heavy relieve of lower intestines. I frantically search for a fallen tree clear enough to sit on . Finding a nice “ comfy vee branch “ I prepared to unload . Being done I zipped up and moved on at this point I had seen no tracks of any kind . As any hunter in the deep woods I more or less walked in a big circle I found the first group of tracks so I thwell I’ll just follow them a bit. Then the land began to look familiar , yep there were my earlier tracks , then I just about roared laughing as noticed many more tracks of all kinds odd of animals at the spot I YHINK every animal in the woods had come out to check on the mess the invader had left . Back at camp later we had a good laugh over it all as I told of my exploits of the day . LOL

It’s blowing 40+ mph today so a good excuse to stay indoors not too cold but wind is terrible it snowed pellets last night but they melted quickly . I got my self drilling tapping screws today so I’m planning on fixing the dumb shovel I’ll have to pre drill the hole then us a standard Phillips screw driver to install in the shovel but it should be an easy fix I have a set of driver bits coming but not for a few more days I had to buy 200 screws . I’ll never use all of them but at lest I’ll have them for something

Well, on Monday I decided to change the brake fluid on my Moto Guzzi V50. It's now 4 or 5 years since I changed the fluid - when I changed the 20 year old flexible brake hoses. (I like my brakes to be "nearly new" - as they may one day need to save my life from my - or someone's -inneptitude). The bike is 44 years old now, and the single disc front brake has had a stuck piston once before. So (stupidly!) I drained all the fluid from front and front-rear combined circuits, then dismantled the front caliper that had a seized piston. Wrong... I needed a fully bled system to hydraullically release the seized piston. So I filled the system with new brake fluid - it has a common reservoir for front single and the Front and Rear combined circuits. Then (as many Guzzi owners know) I tried to get the new fluid to fill and pump through to calipers for bleeding the air out of the systems..... The Service manual suggests "after bleeding, run the bike for a few trips after which more air will have accumulated so it can be bled..." or words to that effect! - it actually says "the brakes will improve as the remaining air finds its way out of the system"... Believe that? I don't. And a parts supplier suggests you buy some special bleed screws ... "Guzzi brake systems are notoriously tricky to bleed, this special bleed nipple can save you hours of tedious squeezing and pumping!"
- So after re-filling the system I spent hours "squeezing and pumping" the air and frothy brake fuid and air from both front and combined circuits. I was sure I could not get any more air from any of the 3 calipers.
Then I managed to un-seize the front caliper piston. I thought there was some rust on a piston, having removed the outer dust seal, so ordered a service kit of seals and new pistons for the caliper. After which I tried the bike - slowly - on the road, and found I had barely any front brake - it went from "hard to spongy" in 3 or 4 tries on the road, and then the combined system (foot pedal) did the same...
So on Tuesday, I re-bled the brakes... After "hours of tedious squeezing and pumping" I felt the brakes were much harder, so tried on the road and brakes were reasonably good, if not at their best.
So on Wednesday, when the new service kit of seals and new pistons arrived, I serviced the recalcitrant front caliper, and after "hours of tedious squeezing and pumping" I had bled more air from both circuits. So now have good hard feeling brakes.
But this is what I found in the dismantled front caliper - despite the fuid in reservoir and pipes being a lighter colour, and clean... it is not stewed-tea - just rusty and oxidised brake fluid. The fluid from the bleed nipple was the clean new fluid I had just introduced! Obviously, this old stuff can never be flushed-out.
P4050002.JPG
P4050001.JPG

The dark and rusty fluid is a mix from both cylinders of the brake with a seized piston. One (Seized) piston was very rusty, the other not rusty, just slightly tarnished (wiped clean with a good rub from a cloth).
Next time I change the fluid, I'll service the calipers first...
P4050003.JPG

So My suggestion to all is that on your "OLDER" vehicle, (out of warranty!) you dismantle the calipers and remove the old fluid (it holds dissolved water that rusts the pistons) that does not get changed when you (or your garage) does the 2~3 year service brake fluid change.
The hazzard to health of not doing this is a seized caliper - and the brake is much less effective when you really need it most to avoid a bad crash. ANother possible risk is that the boiling point of the fluid is so reduced (normal new fluid boils at 330deg.C or thereabouts) and can get hot enough during braking (e.g. emergency stop from max highway speed fully laden with family, luggage and Mother-in-law...) so the water boils (under pressure!) and the steam bubbles cause a loss of braking (the steam forces the fuid back up the pipework so the ABS cannot work properly). Racers call this "brake fade" - and it means you cannot stop in the shortest distance you should be capable of stopping... so you hit something you didn't plan to hit. - Just before the Mother-in-law hits you for driving badly!
Not exactly Model Engineering, but I hope it helps someone?
I now have to order 2 more service kits and clean the calipers of the remaining 2 brakes that will still be full of "Old Wet fluid"! - but that must be after Easter!
Happy weekend everyone...
K2

Attachments

• P4050010.JPG
    P4050010.JPG
    630.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Zeb
bentwings, have you tried rubbing a candle on the shovel (when inside and warm) as when cold with snow on it the candle wax should prevent snow from sticking without the wax coming off...?? - Or silicon spray? - I now use a plastic shovel, as it was cheap and lighter than my builders' shovel.
Or so I was told. - didn't work on my shovel - due to the surface cement stuck to it! - (Free shovel from a builder!).
K2

. No I have not tried your suggestions but I certainly will keep them in mind we are almost at the end of winter . I just got the self drilling screws to repair my shovel so I’m working on that if I could see better it would be an easy fix I’m pre drilling the hole slightly undressing so the self drilling part has good bite turns out there is a plastic rib right in the center of where the screws go . This is not all bad as the tapping thread will dig right into this and make a secure mount . A new aluminum shovel is around 50 bucks so a friend visits garage sales soni have him looking for a long deal .
bentwings, have you tried rubbing a candle on the shovel (when inside and warm) as when cold with snow on it the candle wax should prevent snow from sticking without the wax coming off...?? - Or silicon spray? - I now use a plastic shovel, as it was cheap and lighter than my builders' shovel.
Or so I was told. - didn't work on my shovel - due to the surface cement stuck to it! - (Free shovel from a builder!).
K2

Dragged out the 3D printer and made couple of templates to cut the head gasket out for a Thompson Engine

Attachments

• Head Gasket Temp1.jpeg
    Head Gasket Temp1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • Head Gasket Temp2.jpeg
    Head Gasket Temp2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • Head Gasket Temp3.jpeg
    Head Gasket Temp3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • Thompson Engine.jpeg
    Thompson Engine.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Off the topic: First decent day here (Billings MT) for some time, so I decided to burn my "big" hayfield (7A.) and the ditches.
It was a bit breezy, so I burned into the wind. It was only 60 degrees, so things burned kinda slow. Fire had to warm up the grass before it would burn!! Probably 1/4 done, but I kept the fire little and small. I don't have to burn the field, but it gets rid of all the trash and I end up with very nice horse hay. And before you ask, I have one of those square water totes in a small trailer. I fill it about 1/2 full of water.
Then I have a roller pump on the PTO of my tractor that I use to keep things under control. I don't wanna go fighting big fires with it,
but I keep a close eye on things and if it looks like bad things are gonna happen, I can knock it down before it gets away. The plan is to
get a burn around the perimeter, then I'll go back and burn the rest of it. My dear loving wife met me at the door and told me to strip in the garage!! Once I get the burning out of the way, I can proceed with some shop projects. And there are countless projects!!!
Supposed to be only 60 deg. tomorrow, so if the wind is right, I should be able to get most of the rest of it done.

Off the topic: First decent day here (Billings MT) for some time, so I decided to burn my "big" hayfield (7A.) and the ditches.
It was a bit breezy, so I burned into the wind. It was only 60 degrees, so things burned kinda slow. Fire had to warm up the grass before it would burn!! Probably 1/4 done, but I kept the fire little and small. I don't have to burn the field, but it gets rid of all the trash and I end up with very nice horse hay. And before you ask, I have one of those square water totes in a small trailer. I fill it about 1/2 full of water.
Then I have a roller pump on the PTO of my tractor that I use to keep things under control. I don't wanna go fighting big fires with it,
but I keep a close eye on things and if it looks like bad things are gonna happen, I can knock it down before it gets away. The plan is to
get a burn around the perimeter, then I'll go back and burn the rest of it. My dear loving wife met me at the door and told me to strip in the garage!! Once I get the burning out of the way, I can proceed with some shop projects. And there are countless projects!!!
Supposed to be only 60 deg. tomorrow, so if the wind is right, I should be able to get most of the rest of it done.
Meanwhile some 700 miles to your east the snow in my yard is still crotch deep.

Neighbor was whining the other day, this is the first year since I don't know when he has not had his beer barley seeded.
Talked to a guy from near Red Lodge MT. they got 3 1/2 feet of snow last week. Now it's starting to melt. Gonna be a bit messy
for them for a while.

Reactions: Zeb
. I eve been thinking of my small steamer again . I need a review of timing piston ported steamer with eccentric adjustment in the piston valve. As I recall the last I was able to find is to set the eccentric adjustment on the piston about 90 degrees before TDC. What I think I did was measure the stroke length then divide by two and set the crankshaft or power piston at its TDC . My understanding is that this sets the piston port valve so it opens or applies steam or compressed air to the bottom of the power piston. At roughly the correct time , this being a tuning thing bigger engine have a knok if incorrect that you tune out by minor adjusting the eccentric so it stops knocking . My little steamer basically either runs orbit doesn’t if you rotate the fly wheel you can feel the power being applied either to the top of the power piston or bottom of it. I only use about 20-30 psi as that’s what chilertern recommended . I tried a bunch more but my dumb hose barbs let the hose blow off . This little engine is not very powerful but it can run pretty high rpm for a small steamer .

What happens was the nut holding the piston to its connecting rod came loose and stopped the engine dead very quickly everything attached to the crank with grub screws slipped causing scars everywhere it’s tamed forever to get one half or 2 cylinders back together . I have a solution to the issue ofvthe grub screws slipping and I’ve loc tired the piston assemblies so it should stay together this time. There are no instruction on setting the timing other than set it like the picture which shows a single allen wrench in a grub screw so you have to make the eccentric adjustment by trying to “ scale” the picture. Ironically I hit I close the first time but I sure messed things up . The instruction say to take it all apart after initial assembly then loc tite everything. Well that’s done so now I need a bit of guidance . I found a good article on eccentric timing piston ported steam enginges a this basically is what was explained . I actually plan on making degree timing marks once it’s all back together . Thanks for any help y’all can give

. Well I dug out the hard lines nuts and fiber washers that I had previously made Additional pressure form steam along with leaks I’m prepared for. I’m going to install a more leak resistant system now rather than later . I can adjust things as necessary. Finally getting warmer spring 60+ next few days pretty windy but it’s helping get rid of ice piles . Got parts to repair shovel so I’ll try and get that done next couple days still nursing pulled back muscles . Takes for ever to heal at this age . Doc next week should be ok . I wish we could get healed like Star Trek . Probably more injuries as we would not be as careful not to get injured. I have some brass rod ordered to make some special hose fittings they will work with either compressed air or steam depending on hose used . . One e things are up and running I’ll convert to all hard lines and fittings . For a change I have about everything needed. I should just do it now but I want flexibility to change quickly for now .
. I eve been thinking of my small steamer again . I need a review of timing piston ported steamer with eccentric adjustment in the piston valve. As I recall the last I was able to find is to set the eccentric adjustment on the piston about 90 degrees before TDC. What I think I did was measure the stroke length then divide by two and set the crankshaft or power piston at its TDC . My understanding is that this sets the piston port valve so it opens or applies steam or compressed air to the bottom of the power piston. At roughly the correct time , this being a tuning thing bigger engine have a knok if incorrect that you tune out by minor adjusting the eccentric so it stops knocking . My little steamer basically either runs orbit doesn’t if you rotate the fly wheel you can feel the power being applied either to the top of the power piston or bottom of it. I only use about 20-30 psi as that’s what chilertern recommended . I tried a bunch more but my dumb hose barbs let the hose blow off . This little engine is not very powerful but it can run pretty high rpm for a small steamer .

What happens was the nut holding the piston to its connecting rod came loose and stopped the engine dead very quickly everything attached to the crank with grub screws slipped causing scars everywhere it’s tamed forever to get one half or 2 cylinders back together . I have a solution to the issue ofvthe grub screws slipping and I’ve loc tired the piston assemblies so it should stay together this time. There are no instruction on setting the timing other than set it like the picture which shows a single allen wrench in a grub screw so you have to make the eccentric adjustment by trying to “ scale” the picture. Ironically I hit I close the first time but I sure messed things up . The instruction say to take it all apart after initial assembly then loc tite everything. Well that’s done so now I need a bit of guidance . I found a good article on eccentric timing piston ported steam enginges a this basically is what was explained . I actually plan on making degree timing marks once it’s all back together . Thanks for any help y’all can give

Closing day for Smuggler’s Notch.
Took a while for it to soften up, but this afternoon it was classic spring skiing. We wait all year for this and it’s gone way too fast. Beautiful day though.DAC2A70F-9C73-4A59-BD77-9AA82A337000.jpeg
Mt Mansfield (aka Stowe) from Madonna
01D963F4-2CFB-4EA1-8307-3E9D4F670C7A.jpeg
Franconia range. Mt Washington is visible when it’s a little clearer.
BC6AE2F6-3200-4536-AF54-C6E2654D5631.jpeg

Guess I’m done skiing for the year.
Summer’s coming.
Doug

Back