What have you been doing today?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the links. I rode a railbus in Queensland called "Red Fred". a friend in Australia to 3 1/2 gauge ,
so I'll base my design on this one. and use a wagon as drive seat.

Attachments

• IMG_2263_red_fred_55_side.jpg
    IMG_2263_red_fred_55_side.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 4
  • lz_1820.jpg
    lz_1820.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 2
  • rail motor 2.jpg
    rail motor 2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1
One item I gave a poor review because it simply didn’t work as described . I offered a suggestion to fix it and lo and behold I got a response then about a week later I hon a new unit with a small modification I had suggested …. No charge . So I used it then sent a thank you note

So some times it pays to speak out . It’s a powered electric hex driver easy reverse . It came originally with a driver set that I had no use for in fact the screws that it was meant for are apparently rare clock stuff the new one came with standard 1/4” hex driver capability I have about every length hex driver tools that I used often . I’ve sent these back too several times because they did not fit or stripped easily received I got new ones that were correctly made . Some came with plastic holders that you needed a pliers to pull them out others were so loose the tool would just fall out . My standard test is to try the next to the smallest in a socket head screw if it slips or I can’t get it in the set goes back I even explained this test . One company said to just use the closest SAE size . Well I had a melt down over that one I wrote a very pointed note showing the difference between metric and SAE I received full new sets of SAE and metric driver plus a note so I again thanked them for the service . I guess it pays to squack when needed. Spell check won’t let me type it but you can figure it out. Just old saying

It’s warming up a bit not above freezing today but warmer the rest ofvthe week

No Buffalo bomb but still about 4 feet of snow over a couple days lus -20 deg f temps my water lines froze twice but I got them cler easily. I just turned the heat up a couple degrees to increase radiated heat under the house snow is banked pretty well now so it’s stays armervunder the hous as the wind doesn’t circulate we had white ou couple days as the snow was not wet so it blew around and drifted. It’s above freezing now and predicts to stay there during th day for the next week or so I got the ice melt yesterday a couple day late late . I may walk up to the gas station for milk today so my sister doesn’t have to stop . I’m goingvto her place for dinner Sunday they had big Christmas dinner for the day with their kids and grand kids so I had a quiet day with my kitty Sarafina she is very gentle doesn’t pur very loud but enjoys brushing and pets . Cats are funny I have furry Sherpa blanket you would think she would curl up on it but she will go out of the way to avoid it she has a infrared pad that reflects body heat for her primary Bed other wise she rests in her kitty carrier or a sunny window . She strictly indoor kitty although she has slipped out a couple times but stayed right on the deck her play time is at night she gets her toys out of her toy box then coms and curls up on the bed for the night oops pictures Gita little larger than expected

Attachments

• 0E782A2F-7091-46A0-9121-3C4BFB9FCC56.jpeg
    0E782A2F-7091-46A0-9121-3C4BFB9FCC56.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 4D2C00B7-0E52-4AC6-B596-2690C6B6E556.jpeg
    4D2C00B7-0E52-4AC6-B596-2690C6B6E556.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • BD377026-FB7F-440D-AACC-11A117F9F392.jpeg
    BD377026-FB7F-440D-AACC-11A117F9F392.jpeg
    824.9 KB · Views: 3
Here is what Ive been working on slow but sure been wanting to build one for some time and am finally working at it.

When note English pub I have to recall a fun thing in my journey to Central Europe years ago. We stayed in a small hotel in a town south of Hanover they had a great breakfast serve yourself that seemed common at the time . Our first day I went down for early breakfast lots of cereal coffee and other goodies I had chatted with the owner he previous evening she had a very large all black German Shepherd I was into German Shepherd training and she directed me to the local club anyway she said her dog liked to curl up under the table . He was sniffing my hand and seemed to want to sit next to me she did it was ok if I didn’t mind I patted the seat next to me he jumped up sitting perfectly . She said he didn’t like the bread man in the morning as he yelled at the dog and threw day old brat bun half’s at him which made him bark even more . So in the morning the dog came over and joined me I gave him a bowl of water on the seat next to him the bread guy came and banged on the kitchen door the big German Shepherd just exploded off the seat as roared into the kitchen sure enough the guy yelled in German which just fired he dog up like a steam engine the guy made sure he made plenty of noise with the bread trays . After he finally left I just called the dog and he came running jumped on the seat next to me like nothing happened I got another bowl of water and he lapped it up as big dogs do It was a total mood change I had a great time every day we were there the owner said I was like half dog as the dog just liked sitting with me we stayed a week twice . She als met me at the dog club since I knew German dog commands she said take him out and practice with him so I did here is where my beginning K 9 training really got started . The dog was better than I was . Over all one of the best trips into Central Europe We didn’t get over to he UK unfortunately there was so much history that we just couldn’t see it all . Very memorial trips

Today it’s mid 30’s sunny light wind looks like a few milder days ahead. We still have 6 weeks of potential really cold snowy days I’m doing some thinking on shock absorbing landing gear for our Rc scale models . I’ve wanted to do this for years but have not had shop available . My son called and said they had repaired the lathe and it was running smoothly . I’ll see if he can make a few parts I’ll need the big issue is the bores of the gear struts is poorly finished there is a place near me that does burnishing so I’m considering having the struts burnished for a smoother bore . I need to work out a calving system either adjustable or changeable. Big Rc planes can land very hard there is a strong internal spring but a hard landing produces a bounce as rebound is not controlled. I have some Rc car shocks that I may modify they are more adjusted by viscosity of the oil than adjustable or replaceable valves I have 50 and 100 et oils so I can radically change control easily the car shocks may not be mechanically strong enough. The retractable gear really takes a beating on the big war birds The Corsair will weigh in at 45 pounds or slightly more. The B 25 bomber will be about 50 pounds the engines on both planes can squish the gear legs flat at full pier so take offs from some of the rougher runways really work the moving parts . My first Corsair flew for 13 years and probably well over 500 flights just as full size one part attrition was substantial . Rc planes don’t have on board hydraulic systems just air systems for operation and brakes. But now with the lathe back on line I can possibly get on of my sons to make what I might need I’m thinking of sealing the strut with bolt on head similar to model steam engines X shaped Teflon o rings are available as well as other materials by using the bolt on piston I can make a land or groove as a result of machining just one relief in the bottom of the piston head by adjusting the length of this I can make a built in fixed compression . Making several various groove depths allows tightness in the bore to be adjusted I’m thinking a reed valve arrangement might work . Rc car shocks have different size holes in them but the individual valves can be hard to find. I may have to make special ones more development is needed . It’s surprising the mfg have not jumped on this as modelers have asked for this many years ago

Lunch time

Well today I took some time and cleaned up the shop. Also have been keeping an eye on the 3D printer. Started printing the fenders for the little shriner car. I had to split them in half so it's 4 pieces. The right front piece has been going for about 25 hours now with 19 hours to go. Then I have to do it 3 more times. Both Fenders is roughly 160 hours give or take 2 beers.

20221226_100940.jpg

I had just a dusting of snow but the garbage bin was out in the street so I brought it back and walked up to get the mail. Nothing important I finally got my cola paperwork . And a tax statement . Can’t forget that. I’m going over to my sister’s for new year dinner . It’s just her and hubby and me so it will be a quiet day. Mayb watch football for a while . Next week is do something productive each day even if it’s just wash dishes or clothes .maybe some hobby stuff .now that the lathe is fixed I can get son to make a couple small things he got some large diameter aluminum drive shafts so I may be able to revive boiler project . I have notes but I’ll have to re do the end caps and internal tubes Sealing a built up unit is an issue . I have a plan for Teflon seals . It will be electrically heated so no fire . I need a 220 vac unit but I YHINK I can make a short cor and lug into the range socket . Removing range cord of course I have a 10 kw generator with 220 outlet that I could use but it will need tune up and battery plus it’s over at a friend shop . So just something to think about for now . I would normally Tig weld the boiler but I can get end cap strength with tie bolts now that larger tube is available we have hydraulic testing stuff to test I do I’m ok with that . Local law does not require testing of this as long as it’s not fuel fired . I’ll keep pressure down to dry real steam temps and pressures. Not going to worry about this for now

It’s 6 am so still in bed. It’s supposed to snow again today . I had a great new years dinner at my sister’s yesterday . She loaded me up with left overs turkey mashed potatoes and gravey so I’ll have couple dinners this week . I’m going to try and do one thing per day home chore or hobby thing plenty of those to do.
Also give my kitty some extra love.

Attachments

• 8D8545D1-577D-45CF-93E3-FA5D760163C2.jpeg
    8D8545D1-577D-45CF-93E3-FA5D760163C2.jpeg
    735.7 KB · Views: 3
Here is a short video of my kitty, Dandelion. When I get up she wanders around with an annoying and impatient meow-yowel, waiting at my shop door for me. When I finally show up with my cup of coffee, she dashes in and hops up on the chair at my computer. She is at-the-ready to meet my needs of having a kitty to pet.

Cute video. I too have a kitty she is almost 3?years old inside only kitty. Extreme gentle she does not purr much usual afte window sitting then daily brushing she more vibrate than purrs I have a bladed comb to get deep cleaning so she didn’t get Matt’s she like to sit right on me for pets. She doesn’t particularly like exploring boxes I have a premium Marino wool cat cad that she early uses preferring her kitty carrier ive had big dogs and supe stove dogs so the calmness is nice . Cats dot train easily a dos working on calling her with ultra sonic whistle to cow o bed at night

Attachments

• 2F01DC9E-9817-4D86-8876-41F15EBD31BB.jpeg
    2F01DC9E-9817-4D86-8876-41F15EBD31BB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 5AACB455-D715-45F8-AB55-1A3775B1240A.jpeg
    5AACB455-D715-45F8-AB55-1A3775B1240A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
I received a couple beam flex couplings so I’m goingvto try and get a couple turbines connected to model generators . I’ll have to make some shims so shaft Centerline’s are closer. I YHINK I have stock for this . First try is to connect them shaft to shaft in line and use as small flex as possible then I have to creat some kind of split airline I YHINK I saw some tees in the fitting box and there is some Tyson fuel line I use for low pressure air . I don’t think the turbines will need much pressure from testing its mor volume but the inlet fitting is pretty small anyway mainly I just want to see how these work together once I have proper shims I can set up the belt drive ones too. I end up with a gang of coupled units it depends on how much load the generators take . I have a couple of done light 12vdc leds and a variable resistor as well as a bag of resistors so I can make what I need . I also got some small alligator clips ascibdontblikevthe mini spade connectors I got . They fit the generators but it takes careful squeezing with side cutter to push the decent button down so they slip on easier . The generator terminals ae pretty delicate so I’d rather not break them or damage them .
The rest of today is reserved for house cleaning . The big snow fall borough in a lot of street salt and dirt so it’s vacuum time . I may have to scrub some floors too. I hate that one . It’s sunny but cold today I’ll go up and get mail later . Oncology test tomorrow . Don’t know what that entails maybe as an of some kind as I haven had one for a while

Here is a short video of my kitty, Dandelion. When I get up she wanders around with an annoying and impatient meow-yowel, waiting at my shop door for me. When I finally show up with my cup of coffee, she dashes in and hops up on the chair at my computer. She is at-the-ready to meet my needs of having a kitty to pet.

View attachment 143638
Does that kat bite? You can train it to.

Well oncology went ok no real issues so far . I have to return in a month . They test numerous blood test reports then compare over time . I YHINK they took 7 vials today but probably 30-40 individual tests . I didn’t realize how much can be tested or observed by simple blood tests I have one more Friday I&R test mostly for blood clotting in reference to stroke or injury .

Well oncology went ok no real issues so far . I have to return in a month . They test numerous blood test reports then compare over time . I YHINK they took 7 vials today but probably 30-40 individual tests . I didn’t realize how much can be tested or observed by simple blood tests I have one more Friday I&R test mostly for blood clotting in reference to stroke or injury .
Yes, they can tell a lot from blood tests: if they hadn't been running a series of broad blood tests on me over a period of months 4 years ago they wouldn't have caught my kidney failure until it was too late. As it is, I'm in better shape now than I have been for 30 years (OK, less hair and most of that grey, and some parts don't move as smoothly).

Glad to hear things are going in the right direction.

Back