What have you been doing today?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ‘99 24 valve dodge dusky has 450 grand on it . Into changed starter in nasty weather it had a rediculous battery wire I changed that years ago. The crank position sensor was up behind the starter while not difficult to change it means removing the starter then the sensor body is some kind of plastic with o ring in variably one or both are stuck if you are not careful or try to bull doze the operation you end up busting the crank position sensor off . Then you have a real problem as no drill can be inserted in the space guys have had to carve the things out with a series of drill bits turned by hand . That also means a messy oil change to get the remains out of the oil pan . Fortunately most are plastic and get pulverized by the crank . My dual Ky has had only minimal service for its life it has started down to -30 deg f on its dual batteries I had portable generators to drive the block heater most really cold winter days . It still has the original rear brake shoes in the rear I just cleaned and serviced them once a year great truck it rusted pretty bad and is being restored .

My little turbines ar mostly aluminum and have rather large exhaust port so cooling should not be an issue . I haven’t checked on price of ceramic bearings yet . Im guessing they will probably cost more than the units. But thanks forvthe info on ceramics. Air tool oil is pretty thin but air tools seem to last forever with only limited oil so it must be pretty good . I tried steam engine oil on my little steamer that was a mistake . While it seemed good hot when cold you could hardly turn it over so I cleaned it all out and stick to air tool oil as long as it doesn’t see really hot steam or high speeds .

I sitting here rolling a turbine around looking at the knurled drive pulley when I remembered I had ordered a spring belt and connectors . If you are careful you really don’t need the connectors an they make a bump if it is a small pulley so I looked up the spring belts on mc master carr they have them in 10 foot lengths so I have 10 feet. Then I looked up the turbine on Amazon and they still have them but you can get them cheaper on aliexpress I don’t like to deal with that so I thought I have a birthday in a month or so so I ordered another turbine. I have at least 6 stepper motors to convert to generators so I think I’ll look into doing a couple of them I found the mfg ofvthe turbine but I’m no doing an intl call and I didn’t see a web site so I’m going to just keep the rpm down and try hand squirt of ai tool oil for now I have some LED lights so I’ll make something for them eventually . Circuits are pretty easy and there are lots of videos on how to do hem. I actually have enough to keep me busy if I can just get up the inclination to do them . We are supposed to get another blizzard an really cold weather . I’ll be busy shoveling snow for a couple days . I just hope the peer doesn’t go out . I have a 10 ke generator but I haven’t run it in a year and it’s 20 miles from me . It’s actually on the list of things to sell off . It probably would not hurt to get a small gen and electric heater for emergency.

We have an emergency shelter here too so it not like the end of the world and I have some flashlights .

I sitting here rolling a turbine around looking at the knurled drive pulley when I remembered I had ordered a spring belt and connectors . If you are careful you really don’t need the connectors an they make a bump if it is a small pulley so I looked up the spring belts on mc master carr they have them in 10 foot lengths so I have 10 feet. Then I looked up the turbine on Amazon and they still have them but you can get them cheaper on aliexpress I don’t like to deal with that so I thought I have a birthday in a month or so so I ordered another turbine. I have at least 6 stepper motors to convert to generators so I think I’ll look into doing a couple of them I found the mfg ofvthe turbine but I’m no doing an intl call and I didn’t see a web site so I’m going to just keep the rpm down and try hand squirt of ai tool oil for now I have some LED lights so I’ll make something for them eventually . Circuits are pretty easy and there are lots of videos on how to do hem. I actually have enough to keep me busy if I can just get up the inclination to do them . We are supposed to get another blizzard an really cold weather . I’ll be busy shoveling snow for a couple days . I just hope the peer doesn’t go out . I have a 10 ke generator but I haven’t run it in a year and it’s 20 miles from me . It’s actually on the list of things to sell off . It probably would not hurt to get a small gen and electric heater for emergency.

Don't forget to check the ft/sec or meter/sec speed limit of your belt. You may want to replace the belt drive with a gear drive. :)

I hear you regarding belt speed . I have an optical tach . Both units have about the same diameter groove the motor generator is supposed to run about 5400 rpm . So I’ll limit it to that by limiting intake air flow and psi so the belt remains efficient and within its limits . The belt is stainless steel I’ll very lightly air tool oil it and watch heat
I have o ring belt too as well as tooth belt with 3:1 reduction available . There actually is a gear drive coupe of these units on aliee express this is an uncomfortable place to order from in my opinion Plus it’s much or expensive it is a nice unit in that the turbine shaft is supported on both ends instead of over hung load by extending the out put gear and it’s shaft .

Anyway it’s fun just gathering this stuff up I have a nice piece of 1/8” aluminum to mount these on . I really miss not having the shop where I can raid the scrap barrel for this stuff . Buying this on line is pretty expensive for what you get . My son has picked up where I left ofvon super scale warbirds . His ME 109 is almost done and the new P 51 B is coming along nicely plans rolled up are for a new Corsair and a new 120” B 25 bomber he has almost the same situation I had with him and brother growing up son has daughter and son both into models they have already traveled much as we did with m models . He said he now realizes how much fun it was and what it means now as young adult .

<snip>
AliExpress is an uncomfortable place to order from in my opinion Plus it’s much or expensive it is a nice unit in that the turbine shaft is supported on both ends instead of over hung load by extending the out put gear and it’s shaft .
<snip>

For what its worth, I've ordered about a dozen miscellaneous items from AliExpress and never had a problem with my packages arriving. That said, I don't know what AliExpress policy is for returning your money if a package doesn't arrive.

Today I machined a gear guard for my hit and miss engine. Not because I worry about catching my fingers in the gears, but because open spur gears make a lot of noise. I found out long ago that a metal guard and a bit of grease will cut down the gear noise by a significant amount.---Brian

Getting some new tools after sitting at the hospital for 3 hrs to get 6 stiches in a cut finger
Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 4
For what its worth, I've ordered about a dozen miscellaneous items from AliExpress and never had a problem with my packages arriving. That said, I don't know what AliExpress policy is for returning your money if a package doesn't arrive.
I had a package from AliExpress that was delivered somewhere (not to me) and I told AlieExpress that I didn't receive it and they said it's not their problem, it has been marked as delivered by the carrier. They did not chase it up. They flatly refused. I haven't ordered from them again.

I ordered food locally but the order was managed by Uber. The computer changed my order for 1 to 44 - after I had double checked all the information.... so the food outlet cancelled the order as they could not do an order for 44 meals!
Uber have never responded to my (repeated) claims for a refund, over £100!! A friend said he thought there was something in the small print contract that explained there were no refunds or something?
NEVER risk ordering via these crooks!
K2

Speaking of stitches . It was a rues night before my first marriage my wife to be was sitting at blue line during my amateur hockey game there was no glass like today back then . A young punky kid purposely high stocked me right over my left eye ripping a gaping gash with my eyebrow hanging . The coach wrapped a towel around my head securing it with some tape. Then he said go get sewed up and get back her for third period. So I did some 14 or 25 stitches . When I got back he grabbed me and my defensive line man partner and he wanted the kid off the ice and we were not to be in the penalty box . We both weighed a good 50 pounds each more than the other average players so plenty big guys . Well we got punk face in the corner behind the goal smashed him between us he was carried off the ice . My partner scored the winning goal . Then came wedding day I was supposed to have stitches removed like you but there wasn’t time so I got my mother’s sewing sissies it and snipped them myself . Needless to say I had a nice big shinner on wedding day . My partner and I played untill we were 26 in industrial hockey leagues known as “ the goon squad” were bigger yet both of us played industrial league football and baseball together . I think we only got ejected once over our careers . I’ve removed many stitches The bad ones were after a stroke that I had a hole drilled in my head were really metal staples I looked like frankenstein’s brother . Both eyes black and blue face swelled up a big mess

I’ve got pretty go pictures and many views of the turbine motor dynamo . I can count the gear reel on most gears I YHINK so it might be possible to make a gear drive . I may be able to guess the module or pitch diameters if have a gear chart of some sort. Individual gears are quite expensive . I don’t think the loading is very high some pictures are pretty thick so I may be able to purchase gear rod stock . The turbine pinion will run pretty fast but it noted as pretty wide well supported gear light air tool oil would be ok I think . We got about 6-8” snow last night and it cold snd windy so I will be busy for a while today

We got almost 8” snow last night it’s -18deg f with wind chill . Fortunately sits not wet snow . I shoveled for about an hour in the morning then went out after noon and dug out garbage containers as it’s pickup tomorrow . Snow plow came by and blocked sidewalk again. It would be nice if the idiot would just turn the blade a little then make one extra pass Then walked up to mail box about froze in north west wind . Small Amazon pkg and one letter . Glad I sprayed wd40 a couple days ago or I never would have got door open . Have my feet in electric foot warmer pad it’s going to be -11 deg f tonight I’ll toss in a load of wash and dry it that warms the Uber side of home enough to keep pipes from freezing lots of snow all around so very little circulation under home floor is not too cold west slipper and warm socks all the time . Have new electric blanket . I’m a little worried that power might go out . We have community shelter but I just looked and entry door ways not shoveled

I had a package from AliExpress that was delivered somewhere (not to me) and I told AlieExpress that I didn't receive it and they said it's not their problem, it has been marked as delivered by the carrier. They did not chase it up. They flatly refused. I haven't ordered from them again.

Thanks for the info on AliExpress,...now I know what to expect on failed deliveries.

Whenever I order something that costs more money than I want to lose, I always pay the extra for shipping that includes a tracking number; if your package fails to arrive, you can always go after the delivery company.

Thanks forvthe update in Allen express . Confirmed my thoughts . Amazon shipped with an outside carrier . Packed was tracked as delivered but I received nothing . I contacted Amazon and explained situation gave them a supplied tracking number and the next day hey resent a second item by USPS . They said just keep the first if it shows up . , I also received wrong item a couple times I returned n and they said if you can use incorrect item just keep it other time they have picked up items to be returned . So I try to order Amazon if possible ive sold items on eBay as well as purchased items no issues if you use high rated users . I purchased my little steamer from UK direct. I notified bank it was being ordered , I paid shipping I even got a phone deal to make overseas calls cheaper . The uk item arrived un damaged right in time . I’ll order again from them some day . I’ve had email contact and they have been very helpful . I think some of the stuff Amazon’s resells comes from Asian suppliers . You can usually tell if the delivery’s stretched out most of these have had delivery dates improved

I've never trusted aliexpress--it's my gut feeling. However, I have bought thru "Made in China" and I never had that feeling of distrust with them. I also recieved all which I ordered. The one irritating thing about ANY Chinese vendor, is that once they get your eddress, they never stop sending emails. I give them a fake phone number or they would probably be waking me up at nite trying to sell the rope to hang them with.

It’s -13 deg f 20 mph winds light snow , white out conditions . I was out yesterday. Today I’m dealing with frozen water pipes . So far I’ve got them going by turning up the heat . I ran cold water and got small chunks of ice the ran hot water it stopped but then gurggledcan started flowing so I filled container with hot water to pour in drain so traps don’t freeze I turned up the house heat so the radiated floor heat warms the crawl space some . It must be right on thevedgevifvfreexingvthenninwrappedvoldvtowelnsround hot water pipe in the water heater closet. I have RV anti freeze coming so that takes care of drain traps. For some reason there is a run of pipe about 2 gallons that must not be covered by heat wraps once hot water is going I just make the rounds and cycle cold and hot water . I would not be proud ofvthe plumbing job here I see the neighbors have the service guy parked in front of their place . I’m going to call my heat and ac service and see if they could run a heat duct with on off valve so I could blow heat under house by operating valve vent line I guess I don’t like the idea of having heat torpedo blowing Uber house because of carbon monoxide poor overs design . I’d put more heat tapes on but I’m just too old to be crawling around under home in dirt and spiders . Well it stopped snowing at least still very cold . Tv I saying once in a generation conditions . I do remember in the ‘60’s a very cold spell and much snow up in Duluth , minn I walked to high school both ways up hill too . LOL We didn’t have any fancy snow blower. Just my back and a shovel .

Today was time for the big shop clean-up. Every time I build an engine I drag out more and more tools and get so involved with machining that my small shop and office looks like a pack-rat lives in it. It's a small shop, and doesn't take a lot of time to clean up, sweep up, and put all the tools away in their proper place. People always remark on how quickly I build things, but if I cleaned up after every operation, my builds would take four times as long.

Latest posts

Back