What have you been doing today?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can just see the tow ball under the back end. I made a small trailer from moped wheels and other oddments. It used to come off the ball and ram me before going off at a tangent. I stopped using it after it did that a few times!

I think you're talking about her Humerus which is the arm bone which connects to the shoulder and has a ball on each end. My 50-ish wife did the same type of break last month; snapped the ball off the rest of the bone on the smallest of her metatarsals (bones in the foot). The bone your sister broke is much larger.

Unfortunately, women tend to loose calcium from their bones as they get older, making breaks much easier.

Hope she heals quickly.
Yo are absolutely right. We come from a dairy family our dad worked his life in the dairy industry we always had plenty of milk for cereal and just snack drink . I probably have mor milk than coffee I’ve been after her to drink more milk and monitor calcium . Also I played contact sports off and on all my life finally playing my last baseball at 72 every sport involved rolling around on the ground exercises especially football and hockey every fall was to be a roll, avoid reaching out with hand or arm in falls i have even demo falls at home and have handholds all over my bathroom I use a walking cane . They take a little getting used to and going up and down stairs is a bit tricky
Ironical he same day sis fell. Also tripped on my entry steps. I was carrying mail including Amazon bubble package . I purposely carried that in my right hand so I could operate te door handles. Even at my advanced age I still have pretty fast reaction time. I realy don’t know how I got that bubble package from my right hand to under my chest but it cushioned the fall , and other than be amazed and frustrated I was ok. The cane was across the fall so supported me . Last winter I slipped on a speed bump but just tucked and rolled I got snow covered but no injury . I’ve slipped on my roll around stool a couple times but never put hand or arm out. It’s a natural thing and results in many bad injuries to us seniors . Sis received a security video of her fall . It was very bad. She now has a metal plate screwed in for 6-8 weeks It’s very uncomfortable for her hubby is being very helpful . Sis helps me but I’ve told told her not to worry. Take care of herself first. I have a fall monitor that does automatic 911 calls plus it has phone like two way and I always have my iPhone with me .

Right now I’m playing erector set trying different length set screws sanding and rounding off the cup point so they don’t dig into crank shaft again. I’ve come up with another way to clamp the eccentrics . It’s more difficult to machine but I think I may have half a dozen 3 d printed and use heli oil inserts . Basically it’s a washer with a double split clamp built in . It will replace an existing “washer and set screw .
took air blower apart with the idea of converting rubber up to 1/4-40me threads so I can use my steamer parts lots of screwing sounds with Mickey muse drill press but successfully drilled tap size near dea center. Then tapped brass easily. Then got it 1/4-40 ME taper Durand special holder o thread brass pipe. It took a while but finally got it threading . I needed about 1 1/2” of thread. Well doing this by hand wasn’t that best ida. It’s hard to keep the die going straight and level by hand so I have a threaded cork screw now. I’ll straighten it tomorrow and re thread if necessary. But two big deal projects done in one day was good. Youngest son is visiting tomorrow s that will be nice he is pro bike racer #2 on his team and has a courier delivery service that is doing well

It's good to get some work done.
Went for breakfast with youngest son it was a great time . We stopped at grocery store so I could get a few things as my sister is down for at least 6 weeks with broken humorous bone. Her arm He had to leave a little early catch his plane . Butbitvwas really nice to visit. I haven’t seen him in a year . Then I came home and got after the corkscrew 1/4 40 ME threaded pipe. I go it pretty well straightened , actually pretty easy and I didn’t have to retread any . This is going to be actiming setting tool for the piston ort valve valve . It will screw into the exhaust port on the steam chest. By having a pair o nuts locked together I’ll have a timing setting fixture so I’ll be able to set each port valve exactly the same across all 4 cylinders. There is a hole on the piston valve that makes it hard to use the back ofvthe calipers . I also got a 10 mm combination wrench to help lock the nuts I discovered I had another one too. There are several of these nuts. I’ll have to thin the open end a little to fit between a couple elbows but that’s ok. Also ordered a miniature adjustable wrench that is supposed to be thin enough . Also got plastic 1/8 pipe to 1/4” barb so I can make a new air blower. . that fit perfectly and did just what I needed. . I can now make a slip on test connection for testing the engine pairs.

Making some yoyos. Got a good start today. Thy still need polishing and pressed together. But that's another post.

Attachments

• 20220818_095324.jpg
    20220818_095324.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
Making some yoyos. Got a good start today. Thy still need polishing and pressed together. But that's another post.
had care giver meeting today right in the middle of the day . I just getting started in my hobby room for today . I’m going to test my new piston valve timing setting tool.

Moving my shop equipment from the old barn shop to my new, much smaller, shop in town. Luckily, we were helped by a son and a friend of his for most of 2 days.
IMG_20220817_135737345.jpg

Moving my shop equipment from the old barn shop to my new, much smaller, shop in town. Luckily, we were helped by a son and a friend of his for most of 2 days.
View attachment 139399

Another interruption with INR blood test results are good so I’m back on track again .

Also walked up to mail box between rain squalls and picked up my Amazon order . I got a pair of “scale” generator motors for the steam turbines . I got a small package of telescope tubing so I can adapt 6mm tooth belt drives. I slso have boring material so I can use round belt too. I need a way to make either an idler or slotted mount for these I have a board so with some precision drilling I could maybe make a fixed mount . I have a small strip of brass flat stock too so it might be ossicle to make a slotted mount plate so I can adjust the bel tension . I haven’t given a lot f thought to this yet . I’m kinda thinking I’ll use one turbine to drive one motor gen that I can connect to the other . Waste of energy yess but it’s action. I need something moving . Just ordered some canvas bulb holders and led lights so maybe I make the street lights I wanted the leds are only 5 watts plus I have a 10 turn potentiometer if I need to adjust resistance . I think I have a bag of resistors too and a couple small capacitors so I think I can keep the blinking down . These can bus things are often done lights in cars especially older ones . My elcamino is supposed to have at least two but the interior lights have been changed years ago . There are lots of different lengths of bulbs as I just found out. I’m going to do a test run of the #1 steam engine shortly now that I can measure the ost on valve position .

I took some time to sit on the front porch. Seems as if the first hints of the autumn weather is felt in the air. Below 70 at night the last couple of nights and only low to mid 80s during the past few days. So very nice.

View attachment 139399
I finished straightening my cork screw 1/4- 40ME threaded I’ve. S my iston valve setting tool is done
. Then I checked the 10mm combination wrench but it’s too thick . I thought about just grinding it down but I couldn’t get out on the deck as it was raining and I just didn’t want grinding dust all over . So I cut off a piece of 2/2” copper tube and flattened it after scuffingbit inside and out in case I needed to solder on it , then I carefully cut out a 10mm slot so it functions like a open end wrench . Problem solved . Just took all after noon . It works.

If she had jumped off the plane as it landed then did a barrel roll with double somersault, I would have been impressed.
Obviously a staged stunt, but how did the plane take off with only one wheel?

Probably fell off on take off?
Staged or not, one he'll of a stunt!
K2
just cleaning up the mess from yesterday . I flattened a piece of 1/2” copper tube hen cut a 10 mm notch in one end . After a little Emory paper I have the most butt ugly 10mm open end wrench ever seen . But it works as intended. True functionality first thing . I could have ground a 10 mm wrench down I suppose but I didn’t have anyplace to send the grit as it was raining outside . I confined the filings to a small table. I’ll see if my son can machine a neater piece from 2/8” aluminum there are some jam nuts between fittings on my little steamer that this tool is needed for as standard thin wrenches just don’t fit and needle nose pliers are really awkward in confined spaces . I have a micro miniature aluminum adjustable wrench on the way. It’s supposed to be thin enough but I can growl it down outdoors between rain squalls if necessary .
I now need to come up with adjustable mount plates for my turbines and generators. I’ll try to get my son to do a little mill work . They will just be flat 2/8” aluminum plates with some holes and slots
I’ve got a small x-y table for the drill press that I just need to mount I’ve had a drilling set up in place that I’ve been using quite often so I just left it in place but I can move it now . I know milling doesn’t go well on drill presses but most of what I have is just slotting a hole or a simple hole pattern .
I need to do a little house cleaning to day. Doc visit tomorrow . I’ve had so many in home visits lately you would think I was in critical condition but it certainly is better than clinic visits. My sister has a badly broken shoulder so she is out of business for 4-6 weeks . I YHINK it’s going to be much longer several of my car guy friends have had this and it was months before they could even drive . Most hadctobhavecreplacements. Sis is pretty rugged but not the bull like me . I was back playing football in a week after my knee got wrecked . It still bothers me almost 40 years later but I just tell it “don’t go giving me trouble now” It knows it has to behave .

I thimpfk the person fell off the wing on landing and was thrown forward into the propeller. Just hamburger, but they didn't want to show a downer so they cut that part.
tragic .

I have a two point question, I have both straight and tapered 1/4-40 ME dies what size brass rod is best to thread with these

Part two I need 2/4-40ME HEX PLUGS , where can I purchase these I’ve looked all over prefer in USA. I have a piece of 10mm hex brass rod so I could drill it and cut it off then drill and tap for a threaded brass end I can loc tite or solder it I also have 10 mm hex nuts that drill and tap 1/4- 40 ME very easily so I could do the same but I need a suitable rod size I also have 1/4” diameter brass pipe that the dies work on I have soldered up the pipe but it’s more difficult than it sounds . I have used 6 mm rod before but I’m out of it right now. It would be easy on the lathe but it’s down for the near future . I looked fir some kind of core drill but could not find any . Very worst case I could hold an end mill in drill press vice and spin the hex rod into it but it’s a very shakey deal. Same note with tool bit . I’d even settle for plastic all it for is to plug excess ports in steam chests compressed air only at this point
just cleaning up the mess from yesterday . I flattened a piece of 1/2” copper tube hen cut a 10 mm notch in one end . After a little Emory paper I have the most butt ugly 10mm open end wrench ever seen . But it works as intended. True functionality first thing . I could have ground a 10 mm wrench down I suppose but I didn’t have anyplace to send the grit as it was raining outside . I confined the filings to a small table. I’ll see if my son can machine a neater piece from 2/8” aluminum there are some jam nuts between fittings on my little steamer that this tool is needed for as standard thin wrenches just don’t fit and needle nose pliers are really awkward in confined spaces . I have a micro miniature aluminum adjustable wrench on the way. It’s supposed to be thin enough but I can growl it down outdoors between rain squalls if necessary .
I now need to come up with adjustable mount plates for my turbines and generators. I’ll try to get my son to do a little mill work . They will just be flat 2/8” aluminum plates with some holes and slots
I’ve got a small x-y table for the drill press that I just need to mount I’ve had a drilling set up in place that I’ve been using quite often so I just left it in place but I can move it now . I know milling doesn’t go well on drill presses but most of what I have is just slotting a hole or a simple hole pattern .
I need to do a little house cleaning to day. Doc visit tomorrow . I’ve had so many in home visits lately you would think I was in critical condition but it certainly is better than clinic visits. My sister has a badly broken shoulder so she is out of business for 4-6 weeks . I YHINK it’s going to be much longer several of my car guy friends have had this and it was months before they could even drive . Most hadctobhavecreplacements. Sis is pretty rugged but not the bull like me . I was back playing football in a week after my knee got wrecked . It still bothers me almost 40 years later but I just tell it “don’t go giving me trouble now” It knows it has to behave .

I felt like a bit of excercise this morning, most of the hard gardening work is done and I wanted a good walk. I decided to walk to Tesco which is about three miles away. I took a bottle of water and wore an anorak, and set off at 9.20. I stopped at the village shop and bought a small bar of chocolate for the journey. I got to Tesco about an hour later, I only wanted to buy some sandpaper type nail files for my 3D prints. I bought two packs with twenty files in each. I then started to walk home and popped into Morrisons for a bit of shopping. As I was leaving Morrisons I had an idea for improving the design of a small engine I am working on, and I had nothing to write or draw on! I kept mulling the idea over as I walked home. I got home at about midday. I put the kettle to make a much needed cup of coffee and poured the water into the cup. Shouldn't coffee be browner than this I thought. It helps if you actually put coffee into the cup as well as milk.
The new design is coming along very nicely. I was almost ready to 3D print the old design.

lee,

I did a lot of designs while walking the dog, so a good thing to do, and healthy too. I used to carry a small notebook and pen, then when I had a Palm Pilot (remember those?) I used the stylus drawing app from time to time. There's probably an app for my phone, but I'm retired and home a lot now and close to "real" paper and CAD on my computer and so forth.

I did go walking yesterday and had some shop-related thoughts, but kept losing the train of thought because of no sidewalks (pavements) and idiot drivers seeming to be bigger idiots these days.

--ShopShoe

I had a small shopping bag with me for the water, and of course the shopping I was going to buy, but I didn't think of a notepad. Today I ache like mad, but I still took a walk to the village shop, 1/4 of a mile each way. It eased the aches a bit! If I going to get into walking again I will carry some supplies including pad and pencil.
I could have taken a shorter route, but part of it was down country lanes with no pavement. I didn't want to risk it. I bet it would have been a nicer walk though. Perhaps a hi-viz jacket is called for.
Lee

Latest posts

Back