What do you recommend for beginners?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelton

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a new member suggest that it would be really neat to have some beginner builds to suggest. Something that is an accomplishment, but not too many steps.
Something to get a new person hooked on building the small engines.

What would you suggest? If there is a thread here, even an old one, can you post the link for our new members to read?

Thanks.

Making a simple oscillating/wobbler engine got me really hooked. There is a playlist on my channel:

This resulted in me making a Stuart S50, Stuart V10, Stuart Half Beam, Jerry Howell Farm Boy, Philip Duclos Odd n Ends, Hoglet v-twin. All these are documented on my YouTube channel.
Have fun!
Cheers
Andrew

Potentially even simpler.... the Finger Motor
IMG_2700.JPG IMG_2699.JPG

Plans are around, may not be needed.
Doug

My suggestion - It's completely different from what I started with :
For newbies - very little machining experience : oscillating engine
For people with a lot of machining experience : webster engine

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/introducing-the-steel-webster.31993/
Why do I say completely different ?
Because my first engine was a stirling engine, it had a power cylinder diameter of 8 and 10 mm and it took me about 2 years just to get it running and I learned a lot from that engine.
So, make the engine and make it run and make it run better, nicer - that's what I've been doing.
Sometimes "patience" is the key to the problem.

Latest posts

Back