What do I do with your workshop?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieJimG

Reaction score
A few years ago, my wife looked at my workshop and asked what she should do with it if she was left on her own.

None of the family are interested but I am lucky enough to have a friend about the same age as my daughters. He is a fellow engineer and is the chap hired to replace me when I retired. We instantly recognised in each other a kindred spirit so the answer was obvious: give it to Mike.

With my health now being a bit precarious, I thought it time to discuss this with Mike. So I told him of my wishes and asked if he would accept the workshop on condition that he take everything that my wife doesn’t want and that he leaves her with no residual problems in that regard.

He agreed and I am happy that my wife’s problem is solved and that my treasures are all going to a good home.

What are the rest of you planning?

Jim

I've given my wife a rough estimate of the value of the major components so she can sell them off. Hopefully family friends would help her with the rest. As I'm only 40 (feels weird putting 'only' next to 40) I imagine plans will get mote detailed as I get older.

When my grandfather died his wife's family handled a garage sale of his tools, etc, without the knowledge of our side of the family. After the sale, we were invited to take anything we wanted that was left before they threw it out. One item was a bundle of short lengths of 'tie wire' that hadn't sold for the $0.50 price tag. My dad took that as it was a large bundle (maybe 60 x 1 foot rods) of silver solder. I wonder how many other gems were sold off for next to nothing.

:rolleyes: I am in the same boat as Swifty, she is going to be mad when she figures it out.

I have encouraged mine to have a auction as I have seen some close friends buy items from widows for penny's on the dollar as they did not know what the items were worth and felt the person would be fair.

I have a book with description of the major machines and suggested selling price along with a short list of people to call. My son has interest but no space, his job to handle the sales.

I had been thinking for a while along the lines of Machine Tom's solution. Perhaps I will take pictures of major items of equipment and keep them in a binder with a short description, purchase price and possibly used value as a guide.

Paul.

It's the small stuff that is important - cutters, vices, parallels, dti, taps and dies, drill sets, chucks and so on.

The other day, I added $100 worth of M2 capscrews to those already in the box and it hardly made any difference; it made me realise that the uninitiated would not realise the value.

Have a look in the drawers and boxes in the workshop and you will see what I mean.

Jim

Latest posts

Back