What cam ??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
As many of you know I have converted a seig-2 mill and a small lathe to cnc.
I have managed to make a couple parts and get the x-box controller to work as a pendant.
I have put a bit of time and money into these and want to cross the toy/ tool line.
I invested in the special price offer on Alibre a while back and have the basic package. I can draw simple parts with it.
i bought the smid book on cnc programming . I am using Mach 3 for the machine controller software.
I am coming to the conclusion I need CAM . I have been trying to avoid it. but it seems to be the way to make parts.
What do you cnc guys using ? I know a few are happy with cam Bam As I see comments from familiar names on the cam bam site.
I downloaded the program and am tying it. seems like most of the other cam progs are either free and limited incapability of hundreds of $ do not have it for hobby budget. help please.
Tin

I'm using CamBam. I used it for the free trial period (40 executions) which lasted me a long time by leaving it running on the PC until I needed to reboot. For me it does everything I need, and the license fee was affordable. While I don't have a 3D CAD program, the fact that CamBam can handle 3D surface features may be nice to have in the future. Even with 2.5D, the program does have a few pseudo 3D features using pockets and profiles that do allow milling things like sloped and radiused walls.

I know Steve Hucks is also using it successfully.

Tin,

I drop a pile on Dolphin Cad/CAM. I don't use it because it is so complicated. I use a $99 dollar ViaCad and Lazy Cad/ Lazy Turn as my CAM

Matt

I started out with Lazy cam. For the money and knowing what I know now, I still believe it is worth the money. Bad thing is, it is what it is. The development has ended and it is not going to improve.

I moved to CamBam about a year ago (maybe less) and I am happy with it. It is alot better than LC but costs more. I have not gotten into the 3D but someone helped me with a 3D program and CB handeled it perfectly.

I think they are both worth the price but if you can afford the CB I would go that route. It just keeps getting better.

I have been using CamBam for about 2 years now. It is amazing just how far CamBam has come in that 2 years. It now even has a lathe module that is being developed for the CNC lathe user.

I don't think you can beat it for the price. Anything you want to do in 2.5 D is just a matter of throwing a DXF file into it and let the computing begin.

George

Thanks for the input guys.

I think I may be making some head way. I am trying to program the profile of a dog bone con rod. Just a matter of the right numbers and the right steps. I may actually be able to make a part by the weekend.
the cam bam price is not too bad. I do not mind a few bucks for software if it works meets my needs and is supported with upgrades. what i do not doo is the ones that cost $$$$$$ then you pay through the nose again when the version changes. sheeze.
Tin

Hi Tin,

I had a special offer over the Christmas period - have you tried Easymill/Hobbycam?

Best wishes

1hand said:
Tin,

I drop a pile on Dolphin Cad/CAM. I don't use it because it is so complicated. I use a $99 dollar ViaCad and Lazy Cad/ Lazy Turn as my CAM

Matt

Tin,

I was referring to the Cad, that I have trouble with. Their Cam is really nice, more features, and easier to use than Lazy Cam IMO. I'm going to start importing my cheap Cad dfx's to there instead of Lazy Cam. Whats nice about Lazy Cam for me is that it is on the computer attached to the machines, so makes it easier to go back and change something quick. Instead of having to flashdrive a new Gcode from my other computer.

I would have to say so far, that 75% of what I've machined comes right from a Mach 3 wizards. Its that other 25% of odd ball contours, that makes the CAM worth its price though.

Matt

Hi Tin
Have you thought about Sheetcam? I have used a number of programmes but now use Sheetcam 100% of the time. It is IMHO a great programme - is in continuous development/update - is cheap - and the more you use it the better it is and the more things you can do with it.
The dogbone conrod here was cut and drilled with it
Regards
Tumbletown

ConRod.JPG

I use Sheetcam as well and I am very happy with it. It picks geometry by layer which has its plus and minuses. Writing code for parts where you can use the same operations is as easy as importing the new geometry and posting it ... if you "standardize" your layers. Very fast, easy one to learn!

Try Dolphin CAD/CAM. It's been very impressive to say the least. I also bought it with the intentions knowing that it isn't Mastercam.

KeyCreator/KeyMachinist or FeatureCam, they are both user friendly and very professional results. Contouring is a natural for either package.

steve :nice looking piece.
all: thanks for the suggestions and support. I did download a trial version of CAM BAM and tried to work with it some. and will probably do it again . I upgraded my shop computer from and older desk top to a new laptop so need to reload some things. I am trying to keep the minimums in the cnc computer and keep it off the www.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
steve :nice looking piece.
all: thanks for the suggestions and support. I did download a trial version of CAM BAM and tried to work with it some. and will probably do it again . I upgraded my shop computer from and older desk top to a new laptop so need to reload some things. I am trying to keep the minimums in the cnc computer and keep it off the www.
Tin

If you need some help there are more than a few CB users here. Just ask.

I bought a book sized bare bones computer for dedicated use with the mill. The small size is out of the way easily with a small keyboard. That computer knows nothing of the internet and never will. I have gained confidence in the mill enough to load a program, set up the material, start it up and walk away. I know that doing that is not the thing to do but I guess I've been lucky....(but now that I mention it.... :eek: )

The only issue was the printer port - no port in a book sized computer but it has a couple of PCI slots on the mother board for added (small PCI card) hardware so installed a dual printer port - works fine. BOB uses one port and the pendant uses the other.

BillC

BTW Tin, no need to acknowledge. I know that you are much too important to reply.... This is much a click you have here....aren't you just too proud!

Bill c we do want to hear input from folks not ignoring you.
You are right a dedicated computer is the best way to go.
I am still at the cling to the panic button stage .
Steve thanks for the offer of help I will get into it as I have time i watched the tutorial videos right now feel I have no Idea of what questions to ask or where to start.
Tin

I've not gotten to the stage of leaving the mill unattended either, although I do manage to do some other tasks across the room. ::) My longest single run between tool changes has been around 1 hr.

My control computer is also not connected to the internet.

I learned quickly from my friend with the big CNC machines that the first run is always with your finger resting on the 'cycle stop' button.

Generally it's too much fun to watch the machine that it takes 3 or 4 of the same part before I get bored enough to wander off.

Latest posts

Back