What are these?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesfitton

Reaction score
From a friend who recently purchased a toolmakers tool chest at an estate sale.

Theses odd steel cylinders have a square hole through their length.

One end has been tapped for about 1/4 the length, and each has the odd screw with a hex hole through it.

Best I can tell it's a dowel for a blind hole, but I can be convinced that it"s something else..

IMG-20161027-00745.jpg

Boring bar inserts for holding square tool bits in round holes. The screw allows easy adjustment of the bit.
There have been many times I wished I had some....
What size are they?

Pete

2 3/4 long

tight 3/4 OD

tight 1/2 Square hole

( he has others...if he hasn't chucked them)

Boring bar inserts for holding square tool bits in round holes. The screw allows easy adjustment of the bit.
There have been many times I wished I had some....
What size are they?

Pete

I've been dwelling on this , Pete , but I cant picture what would stop the toolbit from pulling out.. Do you have any details about their use?

pics, maybe?

I've been dwelling on this , Pete , but I cant picture what would stop the toolbit from pulling out.. Do you have any details about their use?

pics, maybe?

How about a video? Keith Fenner has a video about making a boring bar using the sleeves.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8kmZ-9SjRA[/ame]

Matt

pics, maybe?

Mine is proprietary, and the bit is held with a tapped rod bored lengthways through the rod.

My in line boring bar bit is at an angle of 40 degrees and with a 40tpi thread can give advances and retards in thous.

I sort of raised this point only a few days ago- and was deafened by the -----silence.:wall:

I'm wondering for the future

Norman

The "circle and square" insert is usually held in with a set screw. Now I can't speak for everyone, but when I use them the fit to the tool bit has been quite close (as your measurements indicated) and the pressure from the set screw in the boring bar deflects the insert to clamp the bit as well. I have seen inserts that were slit (not the threaded end) to significantly improve this clamping.

Hope this makes sense!

Pete

You put a set screw thru one side. I,ve made lots of boring bars.

Latest posts

Back