What a great site!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machinerguy

Reaction score
I caught a link from hsm & joined right up. I'm Mike from Pittsburgh (formerly Steeltown) and my stepson gave me my net name. I have been making chips at least 25 years, currently big stainless ones for one of the big corporations. I moved about six months ago and finally leveled my old South Bend yesterday. Now for some wiring.
My first engine was Elmer Verberg's Open Column Twin built from scrap. Gotta build more of his designs. My second is a Stuart 10 V with reverse and British threads. Runs real nice on lung power. It has a PMR v. boiler, needs a base, plumbing,etc. I'm currently (soon) chiseling my way through the engine of Wm. Harris's Shay, with a few others on the back burner. Duclose's Fire Eater is well on its way.
Thanks for the excellent website. I look foreward...

Welcome to the site. There's a saying..."If you don't have pictures, it didn't happen". ;)

Welcome Machinerguy. Can we see some pictures of your builds.

Welcome! Click on the Additional Options to browse for your pics.

Mike

I tried. Site says 500kb max. my pics start at 1.1mb. ??? I now have a photobucket acct.,but it doesn't seem to help. C'mon, really?

Resize your pics to 800x600 pixels. They should come in at around 47k.

Welcome, you can upload your full sized pics to photobucket, then it gives you links to past in for various sizes to display. You get past the size limitations using photobucket, as you are just referencing the pic location to HMEM and not actually uploading the pictures. If you have problems doing this, shoot me a PM and I will help you get it figured out.

Regards,

Will

Mike,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

I've heard of Pittsburgh.
It's just a 2 hour drive away from metropolitan Punxsutawney. ;)

Welcome to HMEM Mike.

Rick

Hi Mcguy
My advise is to resize before u upload to photobucket as sooner or latter u will reach the limit and P/B will want u to pay.
If u upload large pics it could cost u, I use the free program "faststone photo resizer"
Pete

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. It's 1 a.m. and I just edited the shop floorplan physically. I guess all that jazz about a level lathe just hiccuped! It won't be long. I've been itchin' bad but organization is key.
I don't get pc time everyday, but if my pics don't post next time I try (day or two), I'll gladly accept some help.
Where are the graduated collars on this machine!?

Welcome Machinerguy. Also looking forward to seeing some pictures when you have the time. Sounds like some wonderful projects you have there on the various burners :)

Bill

machinerguy said:
<Snip> Where are the graduated collars on this machine!?

Just look for em under the ambersand key - their all stacked up neatly in front of the fire wall :big:

wEc1 I'm looking forward to seeing your engines too !

Bez

Thanks again! I'm still educating myself (with help) on this photo/ pc/ intraweb thing.Will post pics asap. Put 4 on Phtobkt, I'm probably the only machinerguy if you want to look.
So I"ll try to help you visualise with my 4000 words.
Elmer's twin has a brass block, valve, & eccentric strap, steel top plate, linkages, flywheels, eccentric, & base/feet. All steel was cold blued and the edges are turning a nice brown. All shafts are stainless. The rest is Al Except for the plexi valve chest cover. All fasteners are shcs and the 2-56 are ss. I varied from Mr. Verberg's design only in that the cyl table (plinth to you Tommys) is a rectangle with no perimital contour. The six base-to-plinth columns are 1/4 hex pc standoffs, that cost 25c ea & a few minutes with a file.
Except for fasteners and the standoffs, it rose from the scrap bin. The block was my second one and from round stock. All work but drilled holes was lathed in a 4-jaw. My first attempt at a (milled) block resulted in unsatisfactory bores and when I broke a tap in it, it hit the other scrap pile.
It's a single acting with 180 throws so there's a dead spot, but she'll run slow enough to show her shinys without a blurr.
Boy does Stuart make some nice castings! My 10V came (second hand) started with a crooked bore & cyl faces. Easy fix. The base & stand had been faced and I took these for granted. When build/fit time came, the bolts warped those castings so much I had to file them flat. I borrowed a 7/16 endmill and hand ground a radius on it for the main bearing pockets. It came with the old timey forged crank and a bag of BA hardware. I bought taps, but the eccentric shafts are 3-48. BA dies aren't cheap.
She's painted Testor's Dark Red with black cyl heads. I dipped the base casting in cold-blue and it came out a nice slate grey. Brass lagging looks nice with the red/black and what's left of the gold pinstripes. The flywheel rim needs repolished.
With no detectable slop, I can set the crank throw at 10 or 2 o'clock and she'll drift on down near BDC on her own ! Guess I gotta make some little counterweights.

Latest posts

Back