what a day

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck foster

Reaction score
well after 16 years of repairing rivet setting machines i just had to drive a 1/8" dia x 3/4" long semi-tubular rivet right through the very center of my left thumb nail..................but wait there is more,this machine sets 4 rivet at once and you guessed it, it placed one in my right thumb nail as well :eek:
right through the finger nail, through the bone and right on out the other side..............and i just had to say "SHUCK'S THAT HURT".

they are out now and the healing process has begun.( it will be hard to hitch hike for a while)

the point of this post is not for sympathy but just to remind you guy's that now matter how well you know the dangers of your job you can still have an accident.
so every one play safe and have fun.

chuck

Man..... That one made my jewels draw right up and cringe. Those are gonna be so sore ya can't touch em with a powder puff. Hoping it heals quickly.

Steve

Ow ow ow.

It seems the people who get hurt the most often are those who don't know enough and don't know the danger and those who know a lot and forget the danger.

I hope you heal quickly.

[EDIT: Just re-read my post...and worrying how it might come across...it's not meant to be directed at anyone in particular...just a comment on how it happens to all of us.]

Holy Crap Chuck,

Man that sucks.

Got to wonder though, how did you type this :) :) :)

Get well soon!

Jeff

Glad to hear the thumb and finger are still intact.

As for the "SHUCK'S THAT HURT", I've been there.
I promise those are the words I had intended to yell out
but somehow they came out differently. ???

Give them time to heal and listen to the Quacks (ie: Doctors).
As much as we hate being told what we can do, they are
usually right.

Rick

Just my two cents worth. Any time I see the word accident, I substatute the words being carless and or not paying attention and Zeeprogrammer you are correct with the exceptions of the experienced people, they don't forget the danger, they just get to comfortable with the machine or task that they are doing. Did not intend to lecture anyone. Hope you heal quick Aeromoter8. And if I offended anyone I apologize.

Carless? :big: :big: .It's ok,kd,I KNOW you meant careless.
I'm guilty as charged myself.When i measured a cut under the slot cutter in the mill,I pulled my hand back without checking,and ripped my index finger badly on the cutter ::).
It's sooooooo hard to get good staff these days ;D

Sorry to hear of your mishap,these machines are just waiting to catch you off guard,we used to make the semi tublar rivets you are talking about.Hope you heal well
Don

I really sympathise with you Chuck, I bet it made your eyes water.

But everyone take this as a little warning, it is not stupidity or carelessness that accidents happen to people who have a mass of knowledge and experience about what they are doing. it is more of complacency. You know the job well, and you can do it with your eyes closed. At times like that, your body can in fact become a type of robot, and do things without thinking. I have had a lot of very close shaves in my time.

There is not much you can do about it, it will get everyone sometime or other, maybe just a little cut, or maybe a lot worse, and there is no cure for it. All you can do is try to treat every job as though it is the first time you have done it, but it can be very difficult doing that.

Let's be safe out there

Bogs

Chuck,

Sorry to hear that you riveted your thumbs.

I stuck my thumb into my table saw blade on Monday of this week. :Doh:

I got lazy and did not lower the saw blade for the thin cut I was making. th_rulze

It sounds like we are "Brothers in Thumbs". Thm:

I hope that you heal up soon.

SAM

Chuck--Very sorry to hear about your injured thumbs. Ow---Oww ---Owww!!!! Sometimes carelessness doesn't factor in. Sometimes its just damned bad luck. ----Brian

Chuck,

Sorry to read about your being riveted to the spot in a most unpleasant fashion. I hope it all heals well and soon.

Best Regards
Bob

Oh-no its making my eyes water just thinking about once did the same on a auto box stapler and oh shucks definitely weren't the words I used. Hope they heal well.
regards Frazer

"...the point of this post is not for sympathy but just to remind you guy's that now matter how well you know the dangers of your job you can still have an accident.
so every one play safe and have fun.
"

Thanks Aeromotor for sharing that....your absolutely right!

Get well soon man!....

Dave

thanks guys for all the well wishing's, the nurse came today and changed the bandages and so far all looks well.

now as for zee and kd in my case you guys are spot on..........i got too comfortable working on these machines and man i'm paying for it.as far as i'm concerned neither of you two need apologize.

slick95, i only use one finger to type so i'm ok :big: :big:

rick, according to the guy standing beside me when the rivets went in i did say "shuck's that hurts". now before you guys think im a real polite quite guy i can and usually can swear with the best of them but not this time.............i don't know why but i just didn't get very excited. the rivets were in and i thought let's just get to the hospital and get this fixed.

SAM i hope all turns out good for you..........my brother in thumbs :big: :big: Thm:

thanks guys, i'm down but not out by a long shot..........take care one and all.

chuck

just a quick update, i am back to work and the thumbs are doing ok................but oh boy when you bump them on ANYTHING they hurt like .............. well you guys know :eek:

i am now down to just band aids (no big bulky gauze) and i go see the doctor next monday for a follow up x-ray.

remember guys PLAY SAFE

chuck

Chuck,

Glad to hear my "Brother in Thumbs" is healing up.

The stiches were removed from my thumb last week.

It sure looks ugly, but my handsome mug makes up for it.

:big:

Hope your recovery is speedy.

SAM

Latest posts

Back